Heritage Owners Club

Help n buying a new amp

Finally i got the princeton reverb amp from 63, i must say that it's not in good condition even for a 50 years old amp. I mean, ill have to repair it and maybe you can help me out with diagnostics and to find out how much itll cost.

Here are the Symptoms:

-when i turn it on it has a noise and some clicking sounds.

-when i turn volume up, after 3 it distorts and seems like it had many bass or speaker was damaged.

-its very hot after 15 mins.

-Reverb doesnt work, i turn it up and volume turns up too very fast i think, it sounds high and brilliant but doesnt work well. Reverb works as a volume knob without sharpness and definition, without reverb.

Seller told me that he never changed anything, do you think it's time to change some pieces? Which ones at first? What kind of valves would you buy for it?

please let me know, all advices will be helpful.

Thanks!

Buying a vintage piece is often a crap-shoot. And it can become an expensive crap-shoot depending on the condition. My recommendation is to get the amp to a professional and see if he can give you an estimate on what the amp needs. Those are very simple circuits, and point-to-point handwired amps, built tough, but it just might need a thorough tune up. That can cost between $100 - $500 or more depending on the condition. You might be lucky and find an inexpensive fix. I certainly hope so.

There is no way to diagnose a 50 year old amp without a hands on examination by a pro.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the price you got, it is worth all the money you need to put into it to get it going. Blackface Princeton Reverbs are one

of the greatest grab and gos every built! Find a good tech and keep your hands out of that amp!

3 options

1. fender super champ, 15 watt tube and digital effects for different voicings $349, 10 inch speaker

2. bugera v22,22 watt all tube, little heavy, pentode and triode mode, 2 channel, effects loop, master volume, gain, two inputs, eq, boost , presense and dig reverb, ($349, now 3 year warranty) 12 inch speaker

3. vox ac4 tv, $249, very small and lightweigth, 4 watt, 1 watt, 1/4 watt, very simple (can get loud) takes pedals well, 10 inch speaker

our lead guitarist plays the fender when we do small gigs and runs two bogner pedals in front along with a 12 inch cabinet. Unbelievable sounds

i use the bugera, dont laugh, has a nice vintage gain sound and a nice clean channel, loaded with features, i have not had any problems for 2 years and use it for practice and small gigs

rythym guitarist uses the ac4 tv, multiple pedal board and a 12 inch cabinet for practice and small gigs,

These are options that have nice vintage sounds at a reasonable price point and can be used for practice, bedroon and small gigs

I just bought a Blackstar HT-1R for practice. All tube, 1 watt, 8" speaker. Seems to be highly thought of from what I read on the internet.

Its on its way to my local GC as we speak. Should get it Wednesday. After I try it I'll let you know what I think of it.

• 2 weeks later...

From what Ive read here it seems just about everyone here has a pretty wide ranging taste in guitars. Maybe pointy guitars with barb wire or skull graphics and guitars with floyds are not embraced so much.

Regarding the amp question:

My opinion on all gear now is to get exactly what you want and save yourself some money. My room is littered with budget conscious purchases that I hoped would fill the role of the exact thing I wanted. Unfortunately they were just stepping stones to the things I should have bought first.

The guy in the vid uses a princeton and that is a cool amp. Find one s/h one and enjoy it.

++1 on best post. Find what you want and get it. If finances don't allow it, save for it. Don't compromise and get something that will not meet your requirements and leave you wishing that you spent the $$ for what you actually wanted. Me? I asses my requirements, double what I need and begin looking for something that fits the bill. I regret very few purchases and the things I buy last me a lifetime. I rarely sell equipment.

Archived