Heritage Owners Club

Possibilities...

About a month ago, I was watching a great sounding band that had the dance floor jumping... The guitar player was having a good 'ol time playing, his tone was good, and the volume level was even better. Then I noticed he had a plexiglass shield in front of his amp as well as the drummer being practically encased by them as well.... While doing some research, I also found artists like Joe Bonamassa and Kenny Wayne Shepherd also use those plexiglass shields on stage to keep the stage volume down, while keeping the tube amp up to its saturated tone level. My first thought was to make my own, but to get the thickness and hardware I wanted, it would of cost around $100. Checking around on line, I found Sweetwater carried the ClearSonic panel system for $98 shipped... I attempted to go directly to Clearsonic based out of Columbus Ohio, but they were $116 plus shipping... The system I bought contains four panels and hinges, each panel being 1' wide and 2' tall at 1/4" thick... It should wrap nearly all the way around my amp. If its as good as they say, I'll be able to crank up my amp and not piss anyone off in the band or at the venue... Here's to wishful thinking and the possibility of some great saturated tube tones!

A2-4_new.jpg

Those do really help, but if you really want to crank your amp build an iso cab and mic your amp, you could easily buld one from plywood and foamboard insulation, and mount a mic in it and wire an external socket. I bet you could do that for less than $100.

Congrats! You may want to get a large piece of foam rubber to put over the top of everything to get better volume control. Just be careful, it can start to get hot in there if you do that. Good luck!

Congrats! You may want to get a large piece of foam rubber to put over the top of everything to get better volume control. Just be careful, it can start to get hot in there if you do that. Good luck!

Oh crap, didn't think about that you can't stick a combo amp in an iso cab, forget I was ever here!

Built one myself for about $45. Triptych. Hinged, with two small velcro tabs, to keep it folded, except when in use. The plexiglass is actually a little heavier than you might think. In building one, you have to be very careful drilling the plexiglass close to the edges, it breaks more easily than you want it to (I taped it, then pressed it flat on a 2x4). Also have to smooth the edges carefully, as rough cut plexiglass can be wicked sharp. The baffle does mitigate the volume for people directly in the line of fire, but there is a lot of ambient bleed. Don't expect it to be an attenuator, on stage.

I have a shield that I built. We'd contemplated marketing our own versions, with some ... uh ... modifications to the original designs. I think they can be useful in certain situations. Don't expect it to completely block your sound - it has to go somewhere. And with the way we have to set up in most bars, etc., that sound is going to be reflected either UP and out (hence the suggestions to put a top on it); or back to the wall and out (which introduces it's own unique problems). Using one with a drummer can isolate him/her fairly well from the rest of the band. And mic'ing the drums is nearly a requirement if you do. Not that the problems can't be overcome, not saying that. And we've threatened to put our drummer behind one on numerous occasions!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the reason guys like Bonamassa use these "shields" to help isolate the different instruments on stage ? To stop the drum mics from picking up the guitar amps, and vice versa ?

Absolutely, Paul. And they work so much better in a situation wherein the amp is mic'd. But they also can keep people, sitting towards the front, in a small club, from getting drilled. I also use Beam Blockers" on my amps. Lots of arguments both ways on those. I'm just trying to go out of my way to A) get good tone from an amp that is breathing, and B) be considerate of others in the room. Just heard too much "assaultive" guitar recently, I guess. Couldn't be I'm getting older...could it?

Absolutely, Paul. And they work so much better in a situation wherein the amp is mic'd. But they also can keep people, sitting towards the front, in a small club, from getting drilled. I also use Beam Blockers" on my amps. Lots of arguments both ways on those. I'm just trying to go out of my way to A) get good tone from an amp that is breathing, and B) be considerate of others in the room. Just heard too much "assaultive" guitar recently, I guess. Couldn't be I'm getting older...could it?

Yeppers on the Beam Blockers. I use 'em. They do ok in dispersing the directness of a guitar speaker. I've also been known to pile all the soft bags (gig bags, etc) in front of my speaker if the room is small, or the people are too close.

Guest HRB853370

About a month ago, I was watching a great sounding band that had the dance floor jumping... The guitar player was having a good 'ol time playing, his tone was good, and the volume level was even better. Then I noticed he had a plexiglass shield in front of his amp as well as the drummer being practically encased by them as well.... While doing some research, I also found artists like Joe Bonamassa and Kenny Wayne Shepherd also use those plexiglass shields on stage to keep the stage volume down, while keeping the tube amp up to its saturated tone level. My first thought was to make my own, but to get the thickness and hardware I wanted, it would of cost around $100. Checking around on line, I found Sweetwater carried the ClearSonic panel system for $98 shipped... I attempted to go directly to Clearsonic based out of Columbus Ohio, but they were $116 plus shipping... The system I bought contains four panels and hinges, each panel being 1' wide and 2' tall at 1/4" thick... It should wrap nearly all the way around my amp. If its as good as they say, I'll be able to crank up my amp and not piss anyone off in the band or at the venue... Here's to wishful thinking and the possibility of some great saturated tube tones!

A2-4_new.jpg

Some bands even house their speaker cabinets under the stage and just mike them up. No stage volume at all. Alice in Chains does this. I saw them a year ago and I was like, "where are the amps and cabs"? Then I read up on what they do.

Some bands even house their speaker cabinets under the stage and just mike them up. No stage volume at all. Alice in Chains does this. I saw them a year ago and I was like, "where are the amps and cabs"? Then I read up on what they do.

Its been rumored that AC/DC does this too...

That's my problem too..Too much volume makes me cranky!! LOL.. I once played with a power drummer..Great timing, but no dynamics..Once he sat down at practice, band volume tripled and we had all kinds of feedback problems!! Makes you crazy!!

Its been rumored that AC/DC does this too...

I've seen them a couple times no ISO cabs and they are friggin loud! When they fired the cannons for For those About to Rock the concrete floors were shaking in the stadium.

And Angus never stops moving.

I've seen them a couple times no ISO cabs and they are friggin loud! When they fired the cannons for For those About to Rock the concrete floors were shaking in the stadium.

And Angus never stops moving.

What I've heard was he has a facade of amps and stacks, but he is really plugged into an amp under the stage...

What I've heard was he has a facade of amps and stacks, but he is really plugged into an amp under the stage...

They play Wizard amps (heads anyway) under the stage with Marshall *on* the stage, apparently.

They play Wizard amps (heads anyway) under the stage with Marshall *on* the stage, apparently.

Maybe, but they are by far the loudest band I've seen live.

Archived