Heritage Owners Club

535/555 SOLID Rims vs. Laminate Rims--WHY?

Gitfiddler

I've always admired Heritage for constructing their semi-hollow 535/555 models with SOLID rims and not LAMINATE rims like most other guitar makers. Solid curly maple has to be better than laminated curly maple right?

1. Does it make the guitar sound better?

2. Does it make the guitar last longer?

3. Make it more useful as a weapon if rabid fans break through security and try to mob you on stage?

4. Easier to manufacture?

I really don't know why they build them this way.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Specs from Heritage website:

H 535 Specifications :

24 3/4” scale

22 fret bound rosewood fingerboard
dot inlays on one piece mahogony neck
18" long semi-hollowbody
16" body with 1-5/8" rim

laminated cream bound curly maple top
and back withsolid curly maple rim.

H 555 Specifications :

Neck : 17 degree peghead pitch; one-piece curly maple neck; single white bound mother of pearl and abalone inlaid head veneer.

Fingerboard : 24 3/4” scale ebony single white bound fingerboard with 22 frets; mother of pearl and abalone inlays.

Body : Double cutaway semi-hollow body with laminated arch curly maple top and back; multiple white bound top and white bound back; solid curly maple rim; single white bound pickguard; with f-holes.

It has always seemed to me that solid hardwood resonates better than plywood. It's also possible that plywood is too difficult to bend when just 1" wide.

ply probably has more chance of getting voids or air gaps, when you bend it that much?

myself I'd rather have solid wood

it's not like the laminate they use is straight out of the hardware store down the street.....they use high quality maple sheets and press their own laminate for tops & backs ( it was great to see Curly show us how they made the tops, last year!! )

Solid curly maple has to be better than laminated curly maple right?

The strongest would be laminated NON-curly maple. I really like the sound of an H-575, but I put that down to the solid top and back which are carved, not pressed like Guild or laminated like Gibson es-175. To me, the sides have very little if any bearing on the sound.

Archived