Heritage Owners Club

Chrome Hardware?

Beagle216

Did the early (1990) Heritages ship with chrome or nickel hardware? I am just wondering cause I couldn't find anything on the forum? I am not a huge fan of the tailpiece & bridge, and while I found the topic on which model tone pros would fit I am not sure on chrome vs nickel. The stuff on the guitar I'm guessing is chrome because it is an old guitar and the hardware only shows minor aging. But all the screws/ pots/ pole pieces look their age. (Which I like) I either want to match whats currently on here, or make the switch to nickel an age the parts to look accurate for the guitars age, not crazy aging, just a nice patina... Any advice is great! post-16310-13759118714212_thumb.jpg post-16310-13759119424381_thumb.jpg

Plating 123. This how it goes, copper, nickle,chrome. Nickle has a goldish hew to it, chrome has a bright blueish hew to it. That most of us think of today but most guitars in the day and few to this day just copper then nickle plate. If you want to have a more authentic relic part nickle is the way to go. If you have a chrome part ,,, find a toilet bowl cleaner that's 24 % hydrochloric acid, that will strip the chrome off but will not strip the nickle off. Be carefull!!! It will help dull the nickle also. Chrome is just to make the nickle a bit more shiner. Nickle will last longer but dulls out faster that's why chrome was invented.

There chrome . Time for a acid bath.

It may take a min or two to strip off the chrome . But it will it won't really take off the nickel. Plus a old playing trick , have a nickle and a chrome piece . two side by side and you'll see the difference. Just fill up a glass jar with the acid use some wire , kook the part drop it in the jar and just pull it out once in awhile , rinse it of till u notice the more goldish color to it.

Of you want I replaced mine with tone pros , I could do it and let you see how it looks

You can say that again!

You may want to have a bath of distilled water to soak the parts in after the acid test. Given what Canadian water does to beer, you might end up with parts for the Bahama Popsicle.

Of you want I replaced mine with tone pros , I could do it and let you see how it looks

Thanks for the help! Sounds like a weekend project for me! Haha. Pics of hardware this has been done to would be great! I am probably purchasing all nickel hardware and aging it, it seems much easier. I will keep all original hardware in the safe with the warranty card just so I have it.

The guitar itself has aged so gracefully and yellowed the binding and finish, I am just not a fan of how shiny that chrome stays! Terrible invention. =)

How do I give the pickup covers an acid bath? Or should I just get replacement pickup covers as well?

Which tuners are a direct replacement for the originals, I don't want new holes?

Don't be afraid of drilling a bit. If an aged nickel look is what you're after, and staying true to the guitars style, and, dare I say, Heritage, matters....consider Klusons.

Each tuning machine requires two holes. The lower hole lines up perfectly with the holes you currently have for the Grovers. So you end up introducing a single very small, shallow hole for the top screw. Simple to do, and IMHO, not reducing value at all.

70cbdadb.jpg

I went full aged nickel on my 535. Purchased, not aged by me.

P1130336-1-.jpg

P1130352.jpg

I think the Kluson look is a good one. Grovers are available this way as well, however, and you won't have to drill, and you can sell your tuners and recoup a portion of your expense.

P1130373.jpg

I just bought the Tonepros LPNM04-AN which comes pre-aged... Now I want to get the tuners, but I am not sure if I should get aged Grovers, or the aged Tonepros klusions... Any experience here? Also, which pickup covers will fit the schaller pickups? I am fond of the pickups, just not the chrome covers.

Thanks!

I just bought the Tonepros LPNM04-AN which comes pre-aged... Now I want to get the tuners, but I am not sure if I should get aged Grovers, or the aged Tonepros klusions... Any experience here? Also, which pickup covers will fit the schaller pickups? I am fond of the pickups, just not the chrome covers.

Thanks!

Both excellent quality machines. You've got the Grovers on there now, and several decent photos of the Klusons above. Both are "correct" from a history/model standpoint. I say it all comes down to personal taste....

You did say you didn't want to drill new holes. +1 for the Grovers

One variable to consider is weight. The Klusons are lighter. How's the guitar balanced now?

Went with the Tonepros Kluson tuners... I went with Duncan Antiquities... Cant wait! Who wants some Grovers? Also going to be selling the Schaller pickups & hardware to recoup some of the cost of the new stuff. I will post this to the for sale section but any offers are welcome. =)

wow, that was quick! You don't mess around. Looks good. Anxious to hear a tone report once the Antiquities are in.

I am a quick decision maker ;) I cannot wait for the work to be finished. I will report back when they are in! I am very happy with the look, it's not overdone and the guitar actually looks it age now. The antiquities are beautiful, if they sound half as good as they look I will be a happy camper.

The only thing that has me worried is the lack of wax potting, but I think I read something on the HOC about a bead of silicone under the cover if it is an issue?

no man, don't sweat it! that feedback is simply another new tone in your arsenal. Learn to work with it. On my 535, turning toward the amp and leaning in while sustaining...adding that howl at just the right moment...man that's a blast! Add's a lot.

It was my understanding that most chrome on guitar hardware is "show" chrome, which is just chrome directly on the metal. Production chrome is the copper, nickel, chrome plating, and this is what is used on motorcycle exhaust pipes, etc.

Anyway, schaller hardware seems to be all chrome plated. pickups, tuners, bridges, etc. Grove tuners are nickel plated. I've seen many guitars from makes out there with both chrome and nickel hardware, and many use them interchangeably.

Schaller locking hardware, on the other hand, is nickel plated. So confusing, but unless you are looking REALLY hard, you'll have trouble noticing.

The bridge and tailpiece on my '07 535, bought new, are still pin sharp shiny. The way I prefer it. I suspect they're both Schaller.

The pickup covers, (SD '59s), and tuners, (Grovers) are very tarnished. Spent quite a bit of time polishing up the pickups in the last couple of days. Tuners are next. That grubby look got's ta go !

One the other hand the tuners on the '06 137 are pin sharp, also Grovers, and the Pigtail tailpiece is starting to tarnish.

Archived