Heritage Owners Club

Show Me Your P90 Heritage & I'll Show You Mine!

Gitfiddler

So many P90's and so little time! Show me more. :icon_sunny:

If you've never plugged one of these amazing tone machines to a cranked amp, you are missing something special! Nothing sounds quite like an angry P90. :icon_spiderman:

I'd love to take Golferwave's Black Beauty out for an evening. :icon_silent:

IMG_0018-5.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get in line, baby! ;)

I've already told my siblings that I'll not be available the last week of July or the First 10 days of August in 2014 if my Mom has any Dr. appointments or treatments. I'll have the H-157 with me and anyone that'll be in Kalamazoo is invited to take her out. She loves to be spanked!

I've already told my siblings that I'll not be available the last week of July or the First 10 days of August in 2014 if my Mom has any Dr. appointments or treatments. I'll have the H-157 with me and anyone that'll be in Kalamazoo is invited to take her out. She loves to be spanked!

We're gonna HOLD you to that....

We're gonna HOLD you to that....

With pleasure. I'm going to leave a full week early to visit the house my Grandparents built on Union lake near Union City, MI. My parents would vacation there the first two weeks of June from 1958 until 1968 and us kids would stay until August. The fishing, swimming, and water skiing were terrific. I haven't been there since 1986 and don't know how the area has changed if at all. It was a great place to spend the Summer. Union City is a short jaunt from Kalamazoo and I'm counting the days until then. My wife will retire the end of May next year and she hasn't committed to come along with me, but I'm working on it.

Paul~ For those of us not familiar with P-Rails, can you describe the tone(s)?

And I agree...Very nice collection!!

Good question, I have them in 5 guitars, the three Heritages shown, a G&L ASAT Deluxe and a Carvin CT6. And they do all sound different. I find the distance from pickup to strings plays a major part in the tone, especially as the volume levels change quite a bit from series to parallel and then P90 to single coil.

Series is the loudest, also the fattest and fullest, probably to fat for many if the pickup is too close to the strings. Next loudest is actually the P90 mode, clearer and more articulate maybe 60 -70% of the output / volume of series. Parallel is maybe 50 - 60 %, bright and clear and also hum cancelling unlike the P90 setting, very useful for rhythm. Single coil or rail is a bit disappointing in the 170 and 576 but shines in the ASAT and Carvin, and also in the 535 oddly enough. The volume level is way down down so a boost or tube screamer is really need to bring out the single coil mode goodies.

I find it best to set the pickups close to the strings, brings out the P90 tones a lot better but at the expense of the series mode which gets too much, have them set very close on the 576, might have to back them off a bit though.

If anyone is considering P-Rails I'd recommended getting the triple shot rings, makes wiring them up a lot easier ( according to Brent :icon_thumright: )

Archived