Heritage Owners Club

Traynor Studio Mate YGM-4

DetroitBlues

Anyone know much about these? Early 70's Traynor Studio Mate YGM-4. I found a real steal of a deal on one, but I know little about them. This one was once a 4x8, but converted to a 2x12. Wattage is either 20 or 40, all tube, footswitchable reverb and tremolo. No Master volume, high/low inputs, TMB, and Treble Boost. Sounds a lot like my old KBP810 Reverb Deluxe. I tried it out today with a secret sauce pedal (wish I known about the pedal when I had the RD amp!). What a killer sounding amp. Only other mod I've seen is the addition of a 3 prong grounded cable. For the price, I may jump on it!!!!

By the way, secret sauce pedal is the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Preamp Boost Pedal. Wow, did it ever bring out the mojo in this amp. Prefect pedal for bringing out the magic in a Deluxe Reverb amp... A small bit of research shows this amp is the YGM-3 amp in a larger cabinet and is 20 watts.

great deal!!

they usually sell for closer to $600, and even that is undervalued, IMO

they reissued them and I'm pretty sure those cost more than $1,000

those old Traynor tube amps are fantastic.

congrats!!

ps what speakers are in there?

If you like her, jump on it! If later you decide she's not the one, pass her off to a friend...

I bought today! Of course, its going to end up at my old bass players house because I was searching for an inexpensive low wattage tube combo amp for him. But since I have band practice tonight, I'm going to take it along and run it through its paces! \m/ :headbang:

Already planning to let her go; eh? They don't call you quick for nothing...

Lets hope they don't call you quick for everything! :headbang:

Already planning to let her go; eh? They don't call you quick for nothing...

Lets hope they don't call you quick for everything! :headbang:

I never intended to buy to for myself. The bassist in my old band wanted a low wattage tube amp so he could get a recording setup going. This amp didn't last long tonight. Started to get really bad noise and crackling. I'm going to have it looked at before I go any further with it. I really did want the amp. Lucky for me, I took it to rehearsals tonight and even though my amp was in the car, the other guitarist has a host of amps for me to use. Mostly of the nearly vintage variety. I was able to finish the night on a Musicman 100RD 1x12 combo. :headbang:

In some things in life, I'm better known for the marathon race ending, not how I start out the gate. ;)

Guest HRB853370

I bought today! Of course, its going to end up at my old bass players house because I was searching for an inexpensive low wattage tube combo amp for him. But since I have band practice tonight, I'm going to take it along and run it through its paces! \m/ :headbang:

PIcs or it does not even exist!

:this_thread_is_useless_without_:this_thread_is_useless_without_

What tubes does the YGM-4 use? I fixed a similar amp for a friend that used a pair of 6V6's and three 12ax7's. It was a 1x12 though. It may have been a YGM-3.

Only difference between a YGM3 and YGM4 is the cabinet... The YGM4 is a 4x8 and the YGM3 is a 1x12. This particular model was converted to a 1x12. I'd like to see it as a 1x15 though.

It could be El84s as well.

Check out Pat Furlan's youtube channel. He's good some tweaks to bring the best out in those amps.

Traynors usually have a schematic pasted on top of the amp chassis and used some pretty good parts in their amps like mustard caps and hammond transformers.

IIRC, that amp is more like 15 watts. Two EL84's in a cathode bias, push/pull format with the plate voltage in the 350v range. Not really anything like a Deluxe Reverb. It's cathode biased, it has much lower B+, it has a closed back cabinet and it uses EL84's; which are known to compress when pushed.

Archived