Heritage Owners Club

Shuttle Max 12.0 / Kappa Pro 12A / EVM-18B

mars_hall

I put together a bass rig that I can be proud of last night. At least I am about 3/4 of the way to my goal and making steady progress.

The head is a Genz-Benz Shuttle Max 12.0 and gives out 1200 watts (600 per section) into 4 ohms or 750 watts (375 per section) into 8 ohms. I will use 600 and 375 for the sections when done.

You can set the front end of the Max to have either a FET preamp, a tube preamp (12AX7), or a variable mix of both, which can come in handy. For bass, I prefer clarity and super lows with a little edge, so the mix is mostly the FET channel with a bit of tube and the low filtering maxed out.

I did a bit of research for cabinets and figure I can build cheaper than I can buy and get what I really want. I built a 2x12 into which I dropped a pair of Eminence Kappa Pro 12As (500 Wrms each) for the upper registers and mid bass. These came higly recommended. I bought an EVM-18B (400 W) for the low low and I will drop this into an EV design Thiele cabinet, 7 cu ft. The 3/4 part of my tale is the cabinet is not built, but I have the materials and have not yet did the construction.

Just the 2/12 by itself, which I fired up for the first time last night, sounds really good. Adding the 18 should bring home the monster.

Do you need a crossover to channel the different frequencies to different cabs?

How does one find plans for Thiele cabs?

Sounds big. DBlues was right, the ground here has been shaking lately. Hammer of the gods?

Here's my favorite way of finding plans.

In this instance, I do not need a crossover as all speakers used will handle the frequency range of interest without frying.

Kappa Pro 12A 57Hz-2.8 kHz 500 Wrms ea, 1 kW program ea

EVM-18B Proline 34-1.1 kHz in the TL505 cabinet 400 Wrms

While the Kappas are usually used in vented cabinets, I damp the low end by placing them in a closed cabinet and getting the punchier high end of their range. Each of the Kappas will receive 300 W cranked, which is well below their limit. Also, the closed cabinet takes more power to achieve the same sound pressure level (SPL), since the speakers are always compressing or creating a vacuum within the cabinet, which means the excursions are not moving as much air as it would if vented.

Bottom line is this will tend to balance the SPL output to that of the EVM-18B, which runs at a little less that 2/3 the power the Kappas do.

From observation, I have plenty of hi-end content with the Kappas before adding the lower bass. Actually, I could get by without the EVM, but if you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly.

Don't really intend to crank it that hard, just looking to get good clean and low.

Theile TL806.pdf

ElectroVoice_TL606.pdf

ElectroVoice_TL505.pdf

What's it like to be in the same room as 1.4KW system blowing 34Hz? With speakers like those, you won't ever need a defibrillator :) They spec plywood or particle board. I wonder how many notes it would take to form fissures in particle board.

The speaker cab designers certainly don't want the port cover to come off once it is installed. They suggest 6 (six!) #10 X 1 3/4" wood screws to hold it in place. Wow!

The cab with 3/4" Baltic birch voidless plywood is going to weigh a ton. Why don't you make it out of white ash and leave it in the living room as furniture?

This is my favorite way to find plans too; ask for them. Thanks for the post! I wish you tremendous success in you endeavors. Perhaps a vicarious cab build is in order?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rig to the point of its first full run this morning, while the wife and child gently slept, so not at wall shaking level. Last night I had one of those "Oh shit" moments when I fired it up with the 18" by itself for the first time. I thought I had checked the coil on the speaker when I first got it, but when I dropped in the speaker last night and fired her up, zip, notta. I'd put convertible speakon connectors (both 1/4" and speakon compatible) on the cabinet, so I tried a cable with the normal speakon connected. Not a sound. Roll the volume out, not even a crackle or hum. I was going through all the head games of what I'd say to the folks I bought the speaker from and how I'd have that uncertain hassle of stress to deal with, so I ohmed out the cable and looked down to realize I had the front end of the amp muted. Unmuted her and there she was in all her glory.

This morning I hooked both cabinets up just to see what I have. The 18" is way more defined than what I had expected and very clear, even more so than the Kappa Pros. I will put the optional port cover, which should lower the overall frequency response of the TL505 cabinet, mount my grilles on both cabinets, and crank out that low-end vacuum cleaner she's designed to be.

Guest HRB853370

I put together a bass rig that I can be proud of last night. At least I am about 3/4 of the way to my goal and making steady progress.

The head is a Genz-Benz Shuttle Max 12.0 and gives out 1200 watts (600 per section) into 4 ohms or 750 watts (375 per section) into 8 ohms. I will use 600 and 375 for the sections when done.

You can set the front end of the Max to have either a FET preamp, a tube preamp (12AX7), or a variable mix of both, which can come in handy. For bass, I prefer clarity and super lows with a little edge, so the mix is mostly the FET channel with a bit of tube and the low filtering maxed out.

I did a bit of research for cabinets and figure I can build cheaper than I can buy and get what I really want. I built a 2x12 into which I dropped a pair of Eminence Kappa Pro 12As (500 Wrms each) for the upper registers and mid bass. These came higly recommended. I bought an EVM-18B (400 W) for the low low and I will drop this into an EV design Thiele cabinet, 7 cu ft. The 3/4 part of my tale is the cabinet is not built, but I have the materials and have not yet did the construction.

Just the 2/12 by itself, which I fired up for the first time last night, sounds really good. Adding the 18 should bring home the monster.

Didn't realize you were a bass guy Mark! When I read the title (Shuttle Max) I thought this thread was about a camera!

Didn't realize you were a bass guy Mark! When I read the title (Shuttle Max) I thought this thread was about a camera!

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that NASA engineers call Mark from time to time when they are having a technical problem they need help figuring out.

Guest HRB853370

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that NASA engineers call Mark from time to time when they are having a technical problem they need help figuring out.

He is one of those scary smart guys that flies under radar!

Archived