Heritage Owners Club

So, You Are Looking for a Looper? Looky Here!

Gitfiddler

I don't know about live performances, but my experience is that a looper is a phenomenal practice tool. Not only serves as a backing track (forcing the player to build one, important point) but also is great for the development of a proper sense of timing.

I don't know about live performances, but my experience is that a looper is a phenomenal practice tool. Not only serves as a backing track (forcing the player to build one, important point) but also is great for the development of a proper sense of timing.

That is exactly why I'm getting one. :icon_salut:

Im slightly amazed by looper sales for home use.

We are all of us sitting at computers.

A $50 interface and a free program like Audacity can turn your laptop into a home studio with a 1000gb looper included.

Not only that, but even a cheap $50 interface can enhance your computers playback sound.

I guess one downside is that the computer has to be hooked up to a monitor system (like a cheap home stereo for example)( I only see that as a plus tbh.)

Im slightly amazed by looper sales for home use.

We are all of us sitting at computers.

A $50 interface and a free program like Audacity can turn your laptop into a home studio with a 1000gb looper included.

Not only that, but even a cheap $50 interface can enhance your computers playback sound.

I guess one downside is that the computer has to be hooked up to a monitor system (like a cheap home stereo for example)( I only see that as a plus tbh.)

I have recording programs for the computer as well as several stand alone multi-track recorders (4, 16, & 24 track) and still I prefer the Ditto looper most of the time because it allows me to sit and work out musical ideas WITHOUT the necessity of having to screw around with all the other gear. It's quick, it's immediate, and allows me to work through stuff BEFORE I take the time to go the multi-track route. In the end it saves a lot of time and energy, and it very definitely improves your timing especially if you use two of them through two different amps as I do. I've never used one live and I'm not sure I would, but for home use I think they are an excellent tool to have amongst all your other tools.

I have recording programs for the computer as well as several stand alone multi-track recorders (4, 16, & 24 track) and still I prefer the Ditto looper most of the time because it allows me to sit and work out musical ideas WITHOUT the necessity of having to screw around with all the other gear. It's quick, it's immediate, and allows me to work through stuff BEFORE I take the time to go the multi-track route. In the end it saves a lot of time and energy, and it very definitely improves your timing especially if you use two of them through two different amps as I do. I've never used one live and I'm not sure I would, but for home use I think they are an excellent tool to have amongst all your other tools.

Fair comment.

I personally found the looper to be redundant.

The good thing is a looper can be bought cheaply and easily 2nd hand. Theres a glut of them out there.

I have templates set up in my recording programs will different amp sims (VOX, FENDER, MARSHALl, etc) set up so I just plug in the front of my rack and I'm recording, I took a few minutes to set this up, but no more time than learning how to use a looper. This setup also include acoustic guitar settings and tap tempo function. If I truly just want to practice a lick and I'm too lazy to turn the laptop in my home studio on, I just use Auria on my iPad with the internal mic. So in other words I screw around with almost NO gear! The only cord setup is the guitar cable. So, like JeffB, for me a looper is just another piece of redundant equipment. Time management has always been important to me when it comes to equipment, as music is the source of my income, and the less time I spend setting up equipment the more free time I have to just enjoy my day doing other things!

Archived