Heritage Owners Club

So, You Are Looking for a Looper? Looky Here!

Gitfiddler

I've been considering getting a looper for layering some of my original songs at home...and came across this scary looking device...

http://reverb.com/item/22596-american-loopers-5ch-programmable-true-bypass-looper-with-master-bypass-and-live-mode?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CPqDmvX9-LkCFaFxQgodHAIANw

xmhk8lgtyi0jutlvlpke.jpg

I've been considering getting a looper for layering some of my original songs at home...and came across this scary looking device...

That's not a looper as you would use to layer sound, but is instead a loop switcher used to switch various efx in/out of the signal chain as well as change efx order without having to physically rewire the pedal chain. For the kind of looper you want I would suggest something like this. http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

That's not a looper as you would use to layer sound, but is instead a loop switcher used to switch various efx in/out of the signal chain as well as change efx order without having to physically rewire the pedal chain. For the kind of looper you want I would suggest something like this. http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

After reading more about that monstrosity in my original post, I agree. That thing scared the hell out of me!!

I'll probably get one of those TCElectronic DITTO stompboxes just to get started with this looping thing...

Thanks for talking me down off of the ledge.

I bought one of those Ditto Loopers right before my Mom took a turn for the worse.. Still haven't had it out.. but I will!! :icon_sunny:

I bought one of those Ditto Loopers right before my Mom took a turn for the worse.. Still haven't had it out.. but I will!! :icon_sunny:

I LOVE my ditto looper. It's great for what it is, they are truly awesome & easy as hell to use. I went through so many that either sounded like crap, or were as easy to use as launching a rocket into space. This thing sounds great and couldn't be easier to use. Plus, it takes up so little real estate on the board and it's innexpensive!!!!!!!

*typo correction

I just don't get the looping thing. I can live with a little delay, but IMNSHO most people that I see that use loopers spend way too much

time setting up each song, and they get stuck in the groove of the looper. I think you would be better served to learn how to drive a bass

line with your thumb and play the chords/melodies with your other fingers. Rant over:)

I just don't get the looping thing. I can live with a little delay, but IMNSHO most people that I see that use loopers spend way too much

time setting up each song, and they get stuck in the groove of the looper. I think you would be better served to learn how to drive a bass

line with your thumb and play the chords/melodies with your other fingers. Rant over:)

This would not be used for live performances. I simply want to play around with layering stuff at home.

I tend to agree that most live performers who use loopers tend to fumble to much with them and lose the groove.

However...You should see Victor Wooten loop a bass line...then another...then another...etc... LIVE! He never fumbled or missed a beat.

It was plain scary watching a bass player use a looper in ways not possible for mere mortals.

This would not be used for live performances. I simply want to play around with layering stuff at home.

I tend to agree that most live performers who use loopers tend to fumble to much with them and lose the groove.

However...You should see Victor Wooten loop a bass line...then another...then another...etc... LIVE! He never fumbled or missed a beat.

It was plain scary watching a bass player use a looper in ways not possible for mere mortals.

You should see Victor Wooten loop a bass line...then another...then another...etc... LIVE! He never fumbled or missed a beat.

Then why not record a straight rhythm part into your computer/recorder and then layer with a real rhythm. I do that daily, and yes, it is fun to

layer parts. There are so many inexpensive recording programs/interfaces you could go crazy for very little money.

As for Victor Wooten or any upper level musician, which VW surely is, I loose any respect for anybody not playing live! Let me reinterate, I just don't

like loopers, and consider them a musical gimmick on par with pitch fixed vocals. Jaco playing any bass line destroyed everybody else because

of his natural ability to intoxicate with pure rhythm. Musicians that use space as their rhythm are much more appealing to me:)

Also useful if you have several buffered pedals for taking them out of the chain when not in use. Those are incredibly easy to build, the hardest thing is buying/building an enclosure.

I use two loopers. I have JamMan Solo on my Mesa setup and I have a Gibson EchoPlex in my rack mounted equipment. I prefer the JammMan Solo because I can store about 200 loops in its internal memory and the SDHC expansion card. Makes for a nice setup.

The Gibson EchoPlex is older technology and works good for layering up something to record to another device, but it does not store the loop after the power is turned off.

Loopers are great for writing new songs and working out leads.

As for Victor Wooten or any upper level musician, which VW surely is, I loose any respect for anybody not playing live! Let me reinterate, I just don't

like loopers, and consider them a musical gimmick on par with pitch fixed vocals. Jaco playing any bass line destroyed everybody else because

of his natural ability to intoxicate with pure rhythm. Musicians that use space as their rhythm are much more appealing to me:)

Hmm, I saw Weather Report a couple of times in the late '70s and one of the highlights was Jaco's solo spot - "Slang"...(this video looks like it was taken from Joni's "Shadows and Light")

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1g0dx_jaco-pastorius-slang-live_music

A looper is just a tool, which different musicians will use in different ways. It all depends on the style of music and what is trying to be achieved. In the hands of a creative musician it can be a wonderful thing (see from about 4 mins. onwards).

Not forgetting the man who might have invented the concept of looping for guitarists...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kcuqIqmIU

However, there are some players who aren't very good with technology, so they have to do it the old way... :icon_joker:

I think of loopers being good for bands like Pantera (performing live) where they don't have a rhythm guitarist and the bass guitar isn't a good substitute for absence of the

rhythm guitarist during a lead guitar solo. Similarly, Cat Scratched Fever can be performed live by a trio (like Ted Nugent has done quite often) but the song sounds better with the second guitar part. I don't play gigs and never have so I am clearly not speaking from experience but I would think that using a looper, lame as it may be, would sound better during lead guitar solos as well as be a lot less expensive than having a fourth band member on the payroll.

BTW, I've owned a Jam Man for years which I have never used. (It's in my same box of guitar junk where I keep the wah pedal and other gear I've never used.) But I'm planning to put it into service soon. I had this idea that maybe I could play a long riff or 12 bars of blues on the guitar, stomp the looper, set the guitar down and then go over to the drums and play along with the tune that way. I don't know anyone around here well enough to put together any jam sessions so playing with myself... uh... I mean... playing by myself is all I have to work with right now. If the looper works for me, maybe I'll post a video.

"I don't play gigs and never have so I am clearly not speaking from experience but I would think that using a looper, lame as it may be, would sound better during lead guitar solos as well as be a lot less expensive than having a fourth band member on the payroll!"

I respectfully disagree, and...

If the payroll is a problem, arrange the songs for the amount of players you have. If you want to play four piece and you're worried about cash, work harder then the other 4 piece bands and charge more than they do. That is my philosophy, and I haven't had a day job for over ten years. If your goal is to be a weekend warrior, and play songs that require a rhythm guitar, don't sweat the cash, just find a good rhythm guy and be done with it. There is no way a looper is going to sound as good as a rhythm player. If it's just for a few songs, work with the bass player and get him to keep the sound full sound for solo'ing.

I play solo most of the time, and as a duet, or a 4 piece band some of the time. I pay people according to what they bring to the table. As a practice tool I think a computer DAW would be a better tool to use as a song writing / lead guitar playing practice piece. It would help you develop rhythm playing instead of just looping a rhythm lick. I just can't get with loopers. There are DAW programs for computers, and if you have an iPad the app called Auria is great, and is only $49! And the the signal into your computer or iPad can be had for as little as $20, which would be cheap as any looper.

Once again I feel loopers are a gimmick on par with pitch correction, and properly played rhythm guitar without a solo is better for the audience than a looper and a guitar solo.

Once again I feel loopers are a gimmick on par with pitch correction, and properly played rhythm guitar without a solo is better for the audience than a looper and a guitar solo.

There's a place for most things in music.

H, you just like that pretty face:)

She's a cutie, no doubt about it :) But she's talented too - I've seen her performing live more than once - and she knows how to use technology to entertain.

She's a cutie, no doubt about it :) But she's talented too - I've seen her performing live more than once - and she knows how to use technology to entertain.

There's a girl close to me that does all of her stuff, along with playing a cello or violin. She opened for my duet the Legendary Porch Pounders, Her first song was "Icky Thump" by The White Stripes which sounded good, but after a few minutes that looper drove me crazy, and she was very good at! The setup time for every song was annoying to say the least. I just imagine how bad it would have been if she wasn't good at it! I'm sure KT would sound great with just her voice and a guitar, and in the end the thing that sold me on her was a voice and songs. I realize gimmicks are entertaining, I'm just saying they are not necessary, and NO substitute for a well rehearsed musician on his/her game, and that a good simple arrangement of song will shine over a looper everytime, as long as the musician has the goods. But, that is the last I will say anything about loopers:) There is a mixed point of view on them so I've decided to let the world be happy with loopers, and I'll agree to disagree about their value in live play or rehearsal. Rock on loopers!

I have to admit, I cringe every time I see an acoustic gtr player start pounding on the gtr, then rhythmically scratching the strings, farting, etc every time they start a song!!

it's damn annoying..and usually a setup for a redundant, repetitive, monolithic drone.....and there's nothing worse than a droning fart!!

...get a band!!

It seems to me that loopers work best in the context of solo performance, not in a band situation. Also the types of music which I think work best with looping are perhaps jazz / experimental / improvisation / ambient. Maybe that's why the examples I found previously (Jaco, Frissell and Fripp) are in those areas. Here's another of my favourite musicians, Eberhard Weber using looping creatively -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8XNztzfWY

Archived