Heritage Owners Club

FUZZ!

JeffB

I'm a fan of the Tone Bender/Supa Fuzz. The best I've found is the relatively obscure Dice Works Union Jack. That said I recently got the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe and like it a lot. I'd like to try the Ampworks Tight Fuzz as well.

I'm a fan of the Tone Bender/Supa Fuzz. The best I've found is the relatively obscure Dice Works Union Jack. That said I recently got the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe and like it a lot. I'd like to try the Ampworks Tight Fuzz as well.

Ive heard a lot about the scarab but havnt tried one.

Ive never really "got" fuzz before. Apart from the obvious users of fuzz I didnt realise how many of my favourite guitar sounds on lots of my favourite songs were created with fuzz pedals. It wasnt amps or ods like Ive thought.

I think I like fuzz face type fuzz's from what I can tell so far. Im only in the shallow end of the pool so far on this so that might change.

I've owned a number, in pursuit of something that would get at the fuzz sound on a couple of classic tunes bands I've been in have covered AND cut through a live mix. In the end, I've found that pretty frustrating, maybe just a basic contradiction. First thing I tried was the Prescription Electronics Experience. Favorite sounds, I think, came from Lovetone Big Cheese. Pretty musical, tweakable --but, the sounds I liked best coming out of the amp were lost in a full band mix. Tried the Fulltone '70. Nope. Last thing I used was the Demeter Fuzzulator. Never particularly crazy about the sound, but it did cut better. In the end I think my most effective fuzz sound in the mix just came from maxing the gain on a fulldrive or other OD type pedal.

All my 2 cents of course, and, in the end, I guess I see most effects other than a good o.d. and a real leslie as necessary evils, required to cover tunes but not musical and mostly a nuisance. So, probably not the best commentator...

I am in love with my Mojo Hand Iron Bell Fuzz. It is fantastic at a Gilmour lead tone, cuts through the mix, and is very well built. Not hard at all to dial in which is a huge plus. I went through about 15 fuzzes, now I am never looking for another one. May as well bolt it down.

I have a 5 Knob Fuzz from Wilson Effects, it's a germanium fuzz that does about anything as long as you have some sort of buffer or line driver in front of it. I like it, I like that it's really tweakable, I like the never ending sustain, I like that it's softer around the edges than a Big Muff or similar, but I never get to use it, there's almost nothing we do that a fuzz would be better than I good overdrive.

Maybe one day.

You dont like David Gilmour guitar sounds I take it.

I love David Gilmour's guitar sound. I know he uses Fuzz and lots of other effects. He's one of my idols. Comfortably Numb is one of my signature songs. I built my first Fuzz box back in 1967, I saw an article in Popular Mechanics with a schematic and built one. Worked great. I wish I still had it and would like to build another just like it, but can't find that article anywhere. Lots of Fuzz articles online, but not that one.

Ive been trailing a few fuzz's over the last couple of days and after sitting back and letting the smoke clear:

All my guitars are drop tuned now. I want to find a garage that has a band in it that needs a guitarist.

There is an addictive energy in fuzz pedals that isnt contained in a tubescreamer or timmy.

In the middle of a stupid big grin inducing big dumb repetitive drop tuned riff session I turned to see my 16yr old daughter standing at the door with her mothers darkest dark eyed stare. "how long do you think youll be doing that for?". " bout 30yrs if Im lucky"..... (SLAM!!)

Theyre great. Fuzz's I mean.

All my guitars are drop tuned now. I want to find a garage that has a band in it that needs a guitarist.

There is an addictive energy in fuzz pedals that isnt contained in a tubescreamer or timmy.

In the middle of a stupid big grin inducing big dumb repetitive drop tuned riff session I turned to see my 16yr old daughter standing at the door with her mothers darkest dark eyed stare. "how long do you think youll be doing that for?". " bout 30yrs if Im lucky"..... (SLAM!!)

:laughing4: :laughing4:

See... now that right there is why I just love this forum. Makes me laugh.

Ive been trailing a few fuzz's over the last couple of days and after sitting back and letting the smoke clear:

I know. I've gotten the same thing with my grand daughter when she came for a visit. She was watching TV with her son (my great grandson) and she came in and gave me a look like; "hey... we're trying to watch TV out here." Then.... "SLAM". So I just kept whaling away. I just love playing guitar.

You dont like David Gilmour guitar sounds I take it.

I love David Gilmour's guitar sound. I know he uses Fuzz and lots of other effects. He's one of my idols. Comfortably Numb is one of my signature songs. I built my first Fuzz box back in 1967, I saw an article in Popular Mechanics with a schematic and built one. Worked great. I wish I still had it and would like to build another just like it, but can't find that article anywhere. Lots of Fuzz articles online, but not that one.

The Mojo Hand Iron Bell Fuzz nails the Comfortably Numb lead tone. It is my favorite fuzz ever! I would buy another without hesitation if it was ever stolen!

I found a Bixonic Expandora in my collection of must not sell.

Hit the "forbidden" setting.

For sale:

Bixonic Expandora in as new condition. Used twice. ;)

I would really like a look inside one of those, how much?

I'm sure it's probably worth more than I'm willing to pay just to poke around in it.

I have the Eric Johnson fuzz face. Cool pedal, though the magical / elusive tone of EJ did not come with it!!! It does add that snarl, grit, bite, saturated goodness to my single coils!! Really cool for stratocaster classic rock sounds.

The Mojo Hand Iron Bell Fuzz nails the Comfortably Numb lead tone. It is my favorite fuzz ever! I would buy another without hesitation if it was ever stolen!

Hey Beagle:

You're absolutely spot on with that. I listened to the YouTube videos and ordered one. It arrived today and I love it. It does the Gilmour ambiance and tones. WOW... Thank you.. Thank you... Thank you for suggesting that. I couldn't put my H-150 down.... I just kept playing "Comfortably Numb" over and over again. Now I may sell a pedal or two on eBay, if I find I don't use one anymore. This Mojo Iron Bell is the greatest.

Thank You !!!

1st or 2nd solo? Both great, but two completely different tones.

1st or 2nd solo? Both great, but two completely different tones.

Can do both... Different settings on the pedal! I love it.

Hey Beagle:

You're absolutely spot on with that. I listened to the YouTube videos and ordered one. It arrived today and I love it. It does the Gilmour ambiance and tones. WOW... Thank you.. Thank you... Thank you for suggesting that. I couldn't put my H-150 down.... I just kept playing "Comfortably Numb" over and over again. Now I may sell a pedal or two on eBay, if I find I don't use one anymore. This Mojo Iron Bell is the greatest.

Thank You !!!

You are welcome! Glad you like it! I step on that pedal more than my overdrive. It's just so easy to get a killer lead tone. Lots of possibilities for tweaking, but remains completely user friendly. Notes sustain FOREVER! Built like a tank and the pink paint job is really cool! It's my favorite pedal on the board.

Archived