Heritage Owners Club

Tube Tamer for an older Peavey Classic 30

Doug

I have an older Classic 30 and the tubes rattle pretty badly.

I wanted to buy one of Tom's Tube Tamers a while back but never did. Now I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Seems like Peavey has solved the problem with their newer models, but that doesn't help me.

Anyone know where I can find one?

post-1137-0-58177300-1387431492_thumb.jpg

I have one in my Classic 30. They would be relatively simple to build, 2 springs, a length of tubing and some rubber or silicone grommets. You'll just need some tools to drill the holes cleanly.

I don't know if Tom is still making them, but his web page was taken down by ATT Dec 4th when they suspended all free personal web pages. I had a friend who maintained a page about The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the author, Don Rosa. It had been up for years had several hundred thousand hits. They do let you BUY a web page now.

Is it just me or is the one in the pic above not going to line up well?

I think it's just a matter of perspective. The tamer is pulled out a bit, away from the tubes. Mine line up perfectly well. I still kept the wire holders on there as well. The rubber rings might work as well. The rings won't help keep the tubes tight in the sockets like the TT will.

As for needing new tubes, it seems to me that EL84s are more microphonic to me than 6L6s and EL34s. It might vary by brand but the ones in my DSL401 had some ring as well. Maybe its just the closeness to the speaker in a combo amp.

Combo amps are torture chambers for tubes, the back sound wave from the speakers beats them to a pulp. My classic 30 has the spring retainers but no rubber grommets so I put some high temp o-rings to dampen the rattle.

• 2 weeks later...

davesultra is the man!

Got it, installed it and plugged in and fell in love with my 535 all over again. No more rattle and buzz and I can play those low growly notes like I enjoy with confidence.

I was rocking out the old year last night at excessive volume levels - with a big smile on my face..

Thanks again Dave.

Archived