Heritage Owners Club

A most unusual ultra top!

MartyGrass

One thing that is undeniable... fatter neck = more mass. I think mass, either more or less would have to effect the tone & sustain. There is a reason that an SG doesn't sound like a LP. Same scale length, but different mass.

But hey what do I know....

One thing that is undeniable... fatter neck = more mass. I think mass, either more or less would have to effect the tone & sustain. There is a reason that an SG doesn't sound like a LP. Same scale length, but different mass.

also no maple cap!! it's all mahogany

has anyone ever compared an SG to a LP jr, that may be interesting

I also deal with pain at the base knuckle of my thumb, but LOVE a chunky neck profile. I always thought it was due to the aging process, combined with many years of writing with a pen for my work. I started working in BC, (Before Computers), so writing with my left hand and playing guitar right handed put a lot of stress on my left thumb joint.

If I play my fat neck 535 too much, I have to apply Aspercreme afterwards. I'm not sure about the better tone argument, but it sounds a lot like a psychosomatic or placebo issue. One thing that helps is playing another guitar that has a less fat profile, or better yet, one with a taper that narrows a bit, ala '59 profile. I can play them all night with no issues.

Based on this, maybe its time to buy another gitfiddle!! :icon_santa:

Guest HRB853370

My SG sounds like an LP. Especially my LP that has the same pups as the SG. But hey, what do I know.

Actually, that would depend on the density of the wood. A fatter neck of lower density could possibly have less mass.

OK, I don't if being baited here or not, so I went to a physics web site. After reading the definitions of "mass" and "density", they gave definitions in non-scientific terms so all could understand.

- "mass is the measure of the amount of "stuff" in something."

- "Density is mass per volume. Lead is dense, Styrofoam is not"

So a larger thicker neck will always have more mass because it takes up more space, where desitity is how much mass there is in that same space. A fat neck can have less density or more density but it occupies the same space.

so a thicker neck with less density might have less sustain than a thinner neck with more density?

assuming they both weigh the same!

I just tried my 357 ( all mahogany ) loaded with the pups I used to have in my SG, it sounds similar to the SG

when I had those pups in a LP it sounded different

OK, I don't if being baited here or not, so I went to a physics web site. After reading the definitions of "mass" and "density", they gave definitions in non-scientific terms so all could understand.

- "mass is the measure of the amount of "stuff" in something."

- "Density is mass per volume. Lead is dense, Styrofoam is not"

So a larger thicker neck will always have more mass because it takes up more space, where desitity is how much mass there is in that same space. A fat neck can have less density or more density but it occupies the same space.

Hey Kuz...happy New Year! No bait and no debate. We 100% agree on this: "A fat neck can have less density or more density but it occupies the same space." This statement is true because necks of the same volume (i.e. that occupy the same space) can have different mass, as you pointed out above ("Density is mass per volume. Lead is dense, Styrofoam is not"). So this shows that a fatter neck does not always equal more mass.

This is actually encouraging for anyone who would want more mass but not a fat neck. That person could achieve the more massive yet thinner neck by optimizing on several variables: tree species (e.g. Korina vs. Maple), the cut of the wood (e.g. quarter sawn), the rate of growth of the tree it was made from...I'm sure there's more.

OK, whatever.... most of the time a bigger neck will weight more than a thinner neck, usually this is the case. So usually the heavier fatter thicker neck will IN MY OPINION have an influence over the tone of guitar.

I have watched more than a few YouTube clips from Custom Fender shop where they try to match a light body with a heavier neck and visa versa. They say it is not for the weight of the guitar but for tonal reasons. Do a youtube search for Fender CS tone neck & bodies.

getting back to the guitar in question, it is certainly unique and to me having something that is unique and superb has got to be special.

My 555 has a slim neck and I am finding it increasingly uncomfortable to play as my left forefinger seems to get a lot of pain at times these days, I find that taking cod liver oil capsules help. So the 555 gets played less and the Tokai more because of it's nice chunky neck. It's all down to comfort and nothing else.

I know what you are trying to say here John, totally understand you. My take on this point is : does the guitar look good, play good and sound good? then nothing else matters if you like it.

Now I love the PRS take on binding on the bodies and not having binding on the neck, makes it more organic to me.

Is plastic dense? will it affect tone???? !!!

Something not mentioned that an guitar instructor showed me back in the day is that when playing open chords on a thin neck, depending on how tightly you griped the neck, you could make it go out of tune when playing open chords. using a similar guitar with a thicker neck, he found it had better intonation up and down the fretboard. I found this to be true with set neck guitars more than bolt on neck guitars (gibson vs. fender) but it introduces another variable to the equation. Anyone else notice that observation.

Archived