Heritage Owners Club

Did you ever "Re-Discover" a great guitar in your collection?

Stringman

Guys:

Like most of us here, I am a guitar geek. I have way too many guitars and sometimes a good guitar can get pushed to the "back of the closet" and somewhat forgotten about. There's just too much competition for "playing time" that not every guitar gets equal time.

My oldest electric guitar (in terms of length of ownership) is a 1997 Heritage H-576. It's a maple bodied, vintage natural beauty that I use for a variety of music styles. Recently, it's been marking time in its case because other guitars are being played.

Two nights ago I got out the 576 and had one of the very best practice sessions I have ever had. I played that guitar for well over 2 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. The guitar sounds great and plays easily and its a guitar that I feel I play well. And then it hit me: "How come I haven't been playing this guitar lately when it's one great guitar"?

Ever have that happen where you sort of "Re-Discover" one of your guitars and feel really good about it? It's like getting a new guitar with no expense involved. A "slap up side the head" sort of moment. Ever happen to you?

Care to tell your "re-discovery" story? This was certainly a good reminder for me.

Take care.

Stringman

post-11498-0-40901000-1390520447_thumb.jpg

Sorry, can't say that I've been there as I rarely keep any long enough to get to the re-discovery phase. But I will say, every time I play my '56 Junior I'm amazed! Haven't had it that long, but it's not going anywhere soon, (barring any unfortunate circumstances).

Guest HRB853370

I constantly re-discover my 1992 574 in vintage orange. It is one of those that just has the mojo and although I keep getting offers from folks to buy it, I just cannot let that one go. It is also my "oldest" Heritage too. Glad you are liking yours!

Since I started playing regularly again, I haven't had time to rediscover any of my guitars. They rotate very regularly. In the past week, I've played the Mille LE, 525, Asat, Legacy and Key Largo. Two weeks ago, I had the 140, 157, Melancon and Taylor out.

I did however rediscover the Marshall DSL recently. The Patriot has had most of the play time for the last several months, with some PodXT filling in for some recording time. The DSL hadn't been turned on in a long time. For a change, I've been playing with lots of crunch and its a lot different from the Patriot. Fun times!

My SG. I tried upgrading a lot of guitars over the years, when I picked up that one after not playing it for a while, I couldn't believe I wasn't playing it more. I fell in love all over again and I cannot put it down!!! That's what started my gear dump after reading a topic that Jeff B started about his exodus and gear dump. I have rediscovered a lot over the last few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, My 1972 MIJ Epiphone acoustic.. It's a really unusual guitar, Jumbo sized ALL MAPLE with a laminated top.. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but it plays and sounds like a DREAM!!

Guys:

Thanks for the replies and some good stories. We all have a lot of great guitars "under the bed", we just need to get them out and play them. That's surely what I'm finding.

Take care.

Stringman

Bolero: Thanks. I wish I could post a better pic as the 576 really is a beauty.

I don't rediscover any of my heritages- they are always out and getting played. The fender Jazzmaster, hasn't been out of its case in a year. It will be fun when it happens, but it won't happen today. Same of my Martin AEB bass, always a good time, but it's been months. Today, like so many days I'll play the acoustic 575.

One of the benefits of awning "too many" guitars is the pleasure of rotating through your instruments.

I have many more acoustic guitars than electric guitars, but due to a very busy lifestyle, full time job, part time job as group leader for an individuals with special needs recreation group, part time graduate student in speech / language therapy, etc. I do not have time to play even all of my electric guitars on a regular basis.

I have more Heritage electrics than any other single brand, but I also have Hamers, PRS, G&L, and other brands that I rotate in and out of my playing area; with several tube amps and a changing cast of guitars every session is a new experience.

Stringman, the H-576 is one of my favorite models, I have 2, and one of them looks remarkably similar to yours except it has Phat Cats.

post-4008-0-61653000-1390663030_thumb.jpg

Here is my other 576.

post-4008-0-04488800-1390663154_thumb.jpg

My wife bought me a Stratocaster in the mid 80's and eventually it ended up in the back of the closet and had been there for about 20 to 25 years. I often sell guitars to buy new guitars but my wife would never let me sell the Strat.

Several months ago I decided to take lessons, mainly because I was getting bored with what I was playing. I thought I should take the cheapest guitar I owned since I didn't want to sit in a cramped little lesson room with a mint condition 535 or any other of my pricey guitars. So I dug out the Strat, put in some new noiseless pick-ups, set it up and started playing it exclusively. I can't believe how versatile and easy to play it is.

So naturally I started thinking that if this cheap Japanese strat plays and sounds this good how would a really good USA Deluxe sound. So far I haven't found any other start that is as good as this one. After doing a little research I discovered that Japanese strats from the 80's are considered very high quality and among the best strats out there.

Guys:

Again, thanks for the posts. I agree, have multiples of guitars to choose from is both a blessing and a curse. Which guitar to practice with tonight? Which guitar to take to band practice? Should I take more than one guitar or just "get by" with one guitar? Brand X cost more than Brand Y so I should play that one more. Etc., Etc., Etc. It goes on and on. If you had one guitar (like I did for many, many years, there would not be any conflict.)

Sometimes I get hung up on what to play and finally deciding is a relief. Anyway, thanks for the posts.

GASguy: you are right, our 576's are twins. Thanks for the pic and post.

Telenic: I, too, have an inexpensive Mexican Strat and as a rule, I hate Strats. But, for some reason, that darn cheap guitar sounds great and plays great and yet it's the only Strat I've ever liked and I've owned a bunch. Great story and thanks for posting.

Take care.

Stringman

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping this older thread, well not really, but ....

Haven't played or even looked at an electric guitar since last September. Also haven't been listening to any music or visiting any forums including the HOC. Long story, complicated.

Today I took this one out and plugged it straight into the Cube, JC120 setting. Damn it sounded good, shouldn't have left it so long.

gallery_328_8_101973.jpg

I constantly re-discover my 1992 574 in vintage orange. It is one of those that just has the mojo and although I keep getting offers from folks to buy it, I just cannot let that one go. It is also my "oldest" Heritage too. Glad you are liking yours!

I loved rediscovering her too....

Archived