Heritage Owners Club

Crazy idea-- Turn a 1x12 combo into a 4x12?

DetroitBlues

I took Tulk1's idea to add a 2x12 cab to my Traynor. Found a steal of a deal on a used Jet City 24S 2x12 cabinet. It’s an 8 ohm mono or 16 ohm stereo input. Plus it has an XLR Speaker emulator output. If it works the way I hope it works, I can use an XLR output cable to run directly into my Tech 21 Power engine and not need a mic to go to a PA.Thus giving me a 4x12 wall of sound with a couple of cables.......

Here's a flow chart of sorts...

Traynor YGM-4 w/ Internal 8ohm driver >> Traynor 8ohm Ext Jack >> 8ohm mono input Jet City 2x12 >> XLR Output from Jet City 2x12 >> XLR Input to Tech 21 Power Engine >> XLR Output of Tech 21 Power Engine to Sound board mixer (bonus)

Traynor manual states I can use both the external and internal speakers at the same time as long as I have at least an 8ohm external cabinet in use.

I'm not positive about the XLR output on the Jet City. It either does both speakers and speaker emulator at the same time or just one at a time. That is TBD.

At the minimum, I will be able to run my Traynor behind an amp shield to get the right push on the amp to achieve the desired power section sweet spot. From there, the Tech 21 Power engine has its own independent volume output I can use as a monitor. Also the Traynor itself is a closed back amp, Jet City is convertible from Closed or Partial Open Back. The Tech 21 is Open Back. Variation of tone. All Speakers are Eminence.

I think its genius if it works. Essentially, I just turned my 1x12 combo into a 4x12....

that's cool that the 2x12 has a speaker emulator line out, built in!

have you tried stacking the 1x12 combo on top of the 2x12?

alternately, you could fan them out on the floor, and get more dispersion

would be interesting to experiment with

yes, that would probably do the trick but for how long?

A daisy chain like that would scare the hell out of me in a gigging situation, there's a lot that could go wrong with that set up, I mean seriously how many venues will you guys be playing where a decent 2x12 combo isn't going to be loud enough?

that's cool that the 2x12 has a speaker emulator line out, built in!

have you tried stacking the 1x12 combo on top of the 2x12?

alternately, you could fan them out on the floor, and get more dispersion

would be interesting to experiment with

Most likely I'd just use the Traynor and the 2x12. The Tech 21 is just an overkill bonus of a 60 watt 1x12. I do wish the Traynor was just a head cab, make things a bit easier I'd imagine.

At the moment, I have my VOX AC15C sitting on top of one of my Marshall 4x12 cabinets and plugged in so that all five speakers are working at the same time. It's nice but I don't think the benefits of having the four extra speakers in operation would justify me lugging that whole contraption around if I were to go out playing gigs.

Most likely I'd just use the Traynor and the 2x12. The Tech 21 is just an overkill bonus of a 60 watt 1x12. I do wish the Traynor was just a head cab, make things a bit easier I'd imagine.

My early Y2K band was a 3 piece with a singer. Our drummer could get SO loud at times that the bass player couldn't hear me. I used an extension on his side of the stage. People used to comment on how full our sound was. Of course, this was before we had decent monitors on all sides of the stage, and a mixer that could handle it (multiple AUX Sends). So, just thinking there may come a time when the T21 might come in handy!

My early Y2K band was a 3 piece with a singer. Our drummer could get SO loud at times that the bass player couldn't hear me. I used an extension on his side of the stage. People used to comment on how full our sound was. Of course, this was before we had decent monitors on all sides of the stage, and a mixer that could handle it (multiple AUX Sends). So, just thinking there may come a time when the T21 might come in handy!

That's sort of what I thought. I did confirm today through Jet City support (great people to work with BTW), the XLR is supposed to be used instead of mic'ing the cab. So I will be able to use the whole kitten kaboodle if I want.

That's sort of what I thought. I did confirm today through Jet City support (great people to work with BTW), the XLR is supposed to be used instead of mic'ing the cab. So I will be able to use the whole kitten kaboodle if I want.

As long as you like what it sounds like out front, I think that is awesome!! I've thought many times about getting a DI with and amp sim so I could drop the mic. I'd just mount it inside the chassis and leave it.

Archived