Heritage Owners Club

Low Wattage Amp Heads...

I'm looking for a low wattage amp head, sub $500 on the used market. Preferably a EL-84 type amp, what comes to mind when you think of that? I am eyeing JetCity JCA22H, Marshall DSL15H, Orange Tiny Terror, or a Traynor (if I can find one!)

The Vox Night Train NT15 is worth a look. Nicely built and great noises.

A clean and a dirty channel but no footswitch. No effects loop. EL84s and 12AX7s bring the joy.

I think of Peavey Classic 50, but I hated the distortion channel. Cleans were OK.

When you say EL84s, I think of Vox & Matchless. They aren't the "go to" amps for blues because they have a brighter gritter tone. EL84s might be nice for "roots rock", but it it were me, I would go with a blackface Fender with 6v6s or 6L6s. They have a creamer warmer OD tone.

The only EL84 amp that would get you to modern rock tones might be a Budda amp, possibly Orange (but I think Orange amps are too bright harsh and little low end).

Just my opinion, YMMV

I know I sound like a broken record, but did you take a look at the mesa ta15?

I believe Tulk uses one.

Always happy to extol the virtues of the TA15. But seriously doubt it could be found for under $500. Well, considering what I paid I hope not anyway :)

Seconded - good call! These are great amps :)

I had a bad case of AAS for a Lionheart combo must be three years ago now. I already have a Laney TT50 combo so a Lionheart would have been overkill but you know how it goes. Thankfully when I got the Cube 80 my AAS went away :icon_thumleft:

I had a L20H and matching 2x12. I liked it.

The clean channel overdriven was my favorite. The dirty channel was creamy; maybe not as smooth as the Jet City, but I didn't get to try them side by side.

I used it at practice and it got lost beneath a heavy handed drummer.

Around the house, it was alot of fun.

I had 12 amps and was buying another so it went away accompanied by a PRRI and a Marshall JCM 800 model 4010.

Peavey Classic 30 with an OD pedal in front of it. Meets all the criteria you set out. I liked the ones we've had, as long as you dont use the od on amp. It only drives the preamp and sounds weak and fizzy to me. Pedals do a much better job provided they're the right pedals.

Peavey Classic 30 with an OD pedal in front of it. Meets all the criteria you set out. I liked the ones we've had, as long as you dont use the od on amp. It only drives the preamp and sounds weak and fizzy to me. Pedals do a much better job provided they're the right pedals.

It's hard to beat an old Peavey Classic 30, for sure.

Agreed on the onboard OD, too. I made the mistake of trying to use that on my old Delta Blues, basically the same amp with a 15" spkr. That was in my days before using good OD's. My philosophy now is find an amp with the best clean tone you can, one that fits that "in my head" tone. Then shape the OD with a pedal or two.

I did enjoy my Peavey Delta Blues, but it had a few quirks, such as the tremolo cuting in and out.

But as things happen in Ebay, I find myself looking at an incoming Jet City JCA22H. Its basically, their JCA20H with a second high gain channel and an effects loop. Hard to find used, usually going for $300, new they are $400. I was the only bidder and won at a ridiculous low price.

So I guess that's going to be my answer for now. However, the search for pedals is now beginning. Tremolo, Reverb, and Delay are on the radar.

Another one you should consider is a used THD Univalve, It's a class A amp head with a single output tube that's able to run just about any tube you can think of in both the preamp and the poweramp section making it one of the most versatile amps ever made. They are all hand wired, built like a tank, and they sound great. They were about a grand new but can be found now on ebay for about $500, which is a bargain IMO. I've had mine (bought new) for 12-13 years and have no intention of ever selling it.

UNIBLACKFENDER.jpg

Guest HRB853370

I think of Peavey Classic 50, but I hated the distortion channel. Cleans were OK.

When you say EL84s, I think of Vox & Matchless. They aren't the "go to" amps for blues because they have a brighter gritter tone. EL84s might be nice for "roots rock", but it it were me, I would go with a blackface Fender with 6v6s or 6L6s. They have a creamer warmer OD tone.

The only EL84 amp that would get you to modern rock tones might be a Budda amp, possibly Orange (but I think Orange amps are too bright harsh and little low end).

Just my opinion, YMMV

Since when is the Classic 50 a low wattage amp?? I own one and it will blow your roof off!

Guest HRB853370

Agreed on the onboard OD, too. I made the mistake of trying to use that on my old Delta Blues, basically the same amp with a 15" spkr. That was in my days before using good OD's. My philosophy now is find an amp with the best clean tone you can, one that fits that "in my head" tone. Then shape the OD with a pedal or two.

Or the Delta Blues 2x10 configuration which is the one I have.

I know you're looking for an amp head, but if you need it in a pedal, this is where it's at. This is by far the best OD pedal I've ever heard, and is based on a low wattage tube combo. I've sold every pedal I have but refuse to sell this one. Just a thought, which might be completely irrelevant. Enjoy the video nevertheless! Good luck in your search!

I agree. I made the mistake of buying amps that could "Do It All" and ended up with amps that are either one dimensional or do everything ok but nothing great. The Mesa may be the exception to this but I dont own one so no data on that amp. Find that inner clean tone "in your head" and add the pedals of your choice to craft the tone seems to work best for me. YMMV.

The Jet City should do the trick for you as far as amps go. I believe we raise Soldanos here in Seattle and they are an awesome tone machine. I'm thinking Soldano bought out Jet City because they loved the idea and business plan. At any rate play the bejesus out of it and fill us in on your findings.

Here's a little out of left field suggestion, but I'd seek out a good independent builder, although you may have to wait a bit for it.

For instance, last year I bought a hand built 5F1-based amp a little over your budget from a builder active on the TDPRI (MuchXS). It's a combo, but he also wired it with an extra output jack that mutes the speaker. It's s five watts and exceptionally well built. I don't think I could have gotten anything approaching this level of quality or sound for anywhere near the price from one of the larger manufacturers. Granted, resell is probably low, but if it needs serviced I shouldn't have trouble finding someone who can work on a point-to-point wired Tweed Champ-based layout.

This builder doesn't have a website as far as I know, and I don't know if he builds EL84-based amps, but you could ask. There are some other builders around, as well. I've heard good feedback from people who bought Lil Dawg amps ( www.littledawgamps.com/ ), although it looks like his only EL84 is an 18 watt. There's also Red Iron amps (www.redironamps.com/) which are more expensive, but they look impressive. At any rate, there are a some great builders around.

If that option doesn't interest you then I'd watch for a used Marshall Class 5 head or a good deal on a used Mesa Boogie, something like a 5:25.

Didn't you used to own a JCA20? If you did, let us know the difference in the two. I own (half own with my 10yo) a JCA20 and despite the fact I try to stay American made, I love this little Chinese thing. It has limitations though. No reverb, effects loop, needs a redialing going from hums to single coils, doesn't get very clean.... I'm intrigued by the JCA22. I saw one on Grand Rapids CL forrrrrr $225? I think. It sold before I could decide if I wanted to drive 2+ hours one way for it. Hope ya like it as much as I like my JCA20. I just did some pre amp tube rolling and it impressed me even more.

• 4 weeks later...

Low wattage amps are all I do but by no means does that mean low volume.. oof ah

A hard to find but can be had amp is a Firefly , these were kit builds and I was lucky enough to find one built . A friend built the shell for it

pcb2.jpg

firefly_42882809_large.jpg

fly2.jpg

fly4.jpg

efly2.jpg

a darn loud 1.5 watter

I have several Pigs , a '74 and a new White (GC edition) and a somewhat rare Dwarf that was a handmade competitor in the 70's . I refin'd the cab in orange nitro.

These amps are actually very good the real magic though is going from the direct out of the Pig to another amp like a Marshall , wicked tones to be had but on it's own fat thick tones better than most of your modern day newfangled virtual whatnots

rd10.jpg

rd8.jpg

newpig3.jpg

70sPig_12.jpg

70sPig_15.jpg]

Most excellent wee practice amp

Archived