Heritage Owners Club

H150 Classic (Seymour Duncan '59) sound clip

jacques

Humphhh!!! Those '59's. Huh!!!  :rolleyes:

Here's what I'm thinking ... no fair to post clips without the pertinent data. Model of guitar, amp (and model), fx, etc. And yeah baby!!! Truly nice playing.

Humphhh!!! Those '59's. Huh!!!  :rolleyes:

Here's what I'm thinking ... no fair to post clips without the pertinent data. Model of guitar, amp (and model), fx, etc. And yeah baby!!! Truly nice playing.

Ooops! Well, like its title already suggests: H150 Classic, '59 pu's,  with Fulltone Fulldrive2 overdrive, Boss DD6 delay, MXR dyna comp (compressor) (this one I only use @ home - it gives a bit more sustain that I'd otherwise would get by turning up the amp, but you know...the neighbors) all through a mini (6W) Fender Vibro Champ. And don't forget my 55 year old fingers...

Thanks for watching y'all!

hey that's great playing!!

...is this a clip to challenge the PAF clone/59 differences?  :afro:

if so playing cleanly with no FX will surely give a better example of the true sound of the pup...running thru a bunch of distortion & delay will make almost anything sound fairly similar

I have some '59's here, but not in a gtr...I'll do a B4/after clip for you....but it'll take some time to swap pups

hey that's great playing!!

...is this a clip to challenge the PAF clone/59 differences?  :afro:

if so playing cleanly with no FX will surely give a better example of the true sound of the pup...running thru a bunch of distortion & delay will make almost anything sound fairly similar

Thanks, Bolero!

That is quite true, what you're saying, about the effects 'n all. But this setup comes close to what I want to hear from my guitar and there is no other way I can push that amp to its limits at home without getting into trouble with the people around me. Apart from that I find the '59s produce a different tone through this setup than the other pickups I'm using on my guitars (Schallers, Suhr, Joe Bardens and other Seymour Duncans, both single coil and humbuckers) and I think the '59s do the job.

The traditional way to produce 'that' tone has always been to tickle the valves of your amp into distortion and the Fulltone Fulldrive gives you pretty much that sensation without going too loud. What I also like about the '59s is the way they respond to finger pressure (or the thickness of your pick), which to me is a sign of quality (this also goes for amps imho).

Challenging the PAF clone/59 differences is a hopeless task due to (thankfully!) all the different tastes of players.

well, very interesting....

I plugged my '57 RI black beauty ( sorry, no Heritage for now!! ) with Dr V's, into my '67 Traynor YBA-1, thru a marshall 4x12 loaded with scumback HP65 75hz speakers

recorded a clean vs. loud amp with the Dr. Vintage bridge pup, then swapped a '59 bridge pup & did the same

conclusion:

playing the pups thru the amp there was a noticeable difference to me, the '59's sounded much more sterile & didn't breath as much...

however listening back on my speakers to the recording I find there is little between them

I suppose feel plays a big part while your playing...I honestly almost couldn't stand the 59's after the Dr V's

I uploaded the clips to my myspace page...order is

| Dr V clean  1sec--->47sec| 59 clean 47sec-->1:18 | Dr V loud 1:18--->2:09 | 59 loud 2:09--->2:58  | 

clip is called "drV59test"...whenever it shows up...right now it says "processing" beside it, not sure how long that'll take

link:

http://www.myspace.com/galactagog

the 59's are hotter pups, they grit up a lot more at the same settings as the V's

(A carry over from the, "cognitive dissonance," thread.)

Jacques, you play so well but I didn't like your tone.  It was too dark.  I didn't hear the fretboard as well as I like too.  Your guitar sounds like Joe's Korina 150 with 59's.  Sure, it screams but it doesn't give the high freq response I prefer. 

When I got my 150 a few weeks ago I knew I didn't want '59s in it.  To each their own.  I don't like the '59s.  My Schaller pups in my 535 sound better than them.

(A carry over from the, "cognitive dissonance," thread.)

Jacques, you play so well but I didn't like your tone.  It was too dark.  I didn't hear the fretboard as well as I like too.  Your guitar sounds like Joe's Korina 150 with 59's.  Sure, it screams but it doesn't give the high freq response I prefer. 

When I got my 150 a few weeks ago I knew I didn't want '59s in it.  To each their own.  I don't like the '59s.  My Schaller pups in my 535 sound better than them.

Something to keep in mind when listening to any music over the interwebs is that it is all compressed using mpeg(type) technologies. Which basically says "you don't need to hear this frequency, the mind will fill it in, so let's remove it". To me, I can hear gobs of difference in any uncompressed v compressed recording. They don't snap, they don't have the natural overtones, etc. And my old brain just isn't going to fill in all the bits that have been removed for the sake of internet transmission. And lord knows what type of compression Utube is using in addition to the submitted compressed file. They are probably stripping it even further. So yeah, I would expect lots of dynamics, tonewise, to be missing from any vid submitted over the I-net.

Something to keep in mind when listening to any music over the interwebs is that it is all compressed using mpeg(type) technologies.

True, but the other clips Jacques has posted sounded first rate...just like his playing. 

I suppose feel plays a big part while your playing...I honestly almost couldn't stand the 59's after the Dr V's

Exactly my thoughts on them, I really dig my WCR Darkbursts!!!!

The 59's just don't do anything that these other "handwound" pickups just don't do better.  Feel, tone, harmonics, response, every adjective you can think of.  Unless you just like hot, middy, grinding pickups that aren't as touch sensative.

I uploaded the clips to my myspace page...order is

| Dr V clean  1sec--->47sec| 59 clean 47sec-->1:18 | Dr V loud 1:18--->2:09 | 59 loud 2:09--->2:58  | 

clip is called "drV59test"...whenever it shows up...right now it says "processing" beside it, not sure how long that'll take

link:

http://www.myspace.com/galactagog

the 59's are hotter pups, they grit up a lot more at the same settings as the V's

Well, Bo, I listened, but I couldn't hear so much difference - at least not enough to make me want to replace my '59s (I once A-B'd with someone's 535 which had Seth Lovers, we both couldn't tell much difference either - and this was on a real amp...)

And indeed we should keep in mind those wise Tulk1 words:

Something to keep in mind when listening to any music over the interwebs is that it is all compressed using mpeg(type) technologies.

In the end, my fellow Heritagians, it still remains a matter of taste...The same darkness Ron (our Birdman) doesn't like, I probably looked for when I dialed in my stuff. I must say though that I use many other guitars (Telecaster, Strat, Parker Fly, H162, VIP2) when I want that lightness and transparency and have some fretboard in my notes. The tune I posted right at the beginning of this thread just happens to be one in my 'series' of old fashioned Clapton style bluesrock lead parts, but I have a slight suspicion that I may agree more with many posters here than it seems when it comes to a nice tone. I mean there are so many nice tones...and life would be so unpleasant with just one guitar tone!

Archived