Heritage Owners Club

good reason for a backup amp

bolero

wow check this out...talk about blues on fire :D

looks like the ( blown?) voice coil caught the paper speaker cone on fire? I think the fire starts in the lower speaker, not the amp itself

• 2 weeks later...

wait... Carvin? are they known to flame up... I have a Nomad....

He was just busting on me because I have a Carvin amp.

I was busting on Peavey because I have become rather disenchanted with them in recent years. I did have smoke come out of some Peavey PA speakers I once owned.

But I know there are a number of Peavey fans here so I fully expect to take a small beating for dissin' Peavey.

He was just busting on me because I have a Carvin amp.

I was busting on Peavey because I have become rather disenchanted with them in recent years. I did have smoke come out of some Peavey PA speakers I once owned.

But I know there are a number of Peavey fans here so I fully expect to take a small beating for dissin' Peavey.

Actually, I wasn't. I know two people who had Carvins that had a voltage spike and caught their speaker cabs on fire.

Actually, I wasn't. I know two people who had Carvins that had a voltage spike and caught their speaker cabs on fire.

So I guess that wouldn't be the fault of the Carvins. Regulated power is important.

I saw a show last year where the guys had a fan on the PA amps. I assume that is either normal or at least just a good idea. (See photo.)

post-679-0-30910700-1396601668_thumb.jpg

So I guess that wouldn't be the fault of the Carvins. Regulated power is important.

I saw a show last year where the guys had a fan on the PA amps. I assume that is either normal or at least just a good idea. (See photo.)

A lot of power amps have built in fans. Both of my bass heads have built in fans that go faster if the temp goes up, and my power amp does as well. If you look inside the power amp, it's a GIANT HEATSINK. before the fan. There are a good amount of tube amplifiers that also have fans to help keep the chassis cool. If you run your amp at an angle, it's often a good idea to blow a fan across the back from a distance to prevent heat from getting trapped in there.

This is also why some combo amps have vents on the top.

Archived