Heritage Owners Club

Finding a Heritage on the cheap

Calamazoo

Hey I am new here, live in Kalamazoo have known about Heritage for a while and would love to get my hands on one. Currently I have a small collection of decent guitars some collectible others are for tinkering. But I have acquired an itch for something new, especially after taking the tour on Parsons street today. However, baby needs shoes and I prefer to sleep next to my wife and not out in the barn, so a new off the shelf Heritage is probably out of the question. So I was wondering if anyone here could share some stories about finding a bargin Heritage, maybe somewhere unexpected? Flea market, pawn shop, abandoned by the side of the road...

I know with patience I will find one, probably a fixer upper but I have recently been going through a personal musical revival and want to cap it off with a sweet piece of mahogany and a pair of creamy humbuckers from my favorite guitar manufacturer in my home town even if the ax has been abused and needs a little TLC.

P.S. Also if you know of a real bargin Heritage like a 140 or 150 or where they most often turn up(<$600 crazy I know but I am a tight-wad and babies go through shoes, piano lessons, yadda, yadda, like you wouldn't believe) give me a shout.

Thanks!

Carter in

Kalamazoo

Welcome Carter,

My best deals on Heritages have come in trades. There will be people out there who want something else and are willing to let a Heritage go for < $1000 to get what they want. It takes more time, but they are out there. I once traded for a H535 and I had $800 in the guitar I traded.

Hi Carter, welcome! Born n bred in da zoo myself...live in WI now but get back to family and the lake a lot...

As to where to find a good deal on a used..

1. Keep an eye on the Kzoo CL as there are Heritage owners in your area. Some may be asking top dollar, but now and then there is someone looking to deal

2. There was a post recently for a CL H150 for sale in the Rochester, NY area less than a thou. Look it up

3. Check back here often as others here often are willing to make a deal and you buy w confidence from HOCers

Good luck

Welcome to the HOC, Calamazoo.

The only used Heritages going for <$600 have major issues...like broken headstocks,

But you never know what's out there until you ask. Keep checking around. Something might come up, most likely just north of your stated price.

I think all used Heritages are sold too cheap for the quality you get. I was just talking to a fellow HOCer yesterday about how the used prices on Heritages is rediculusly cheap.

The only Heritage that I've seen around the $600 range was a H150P on craigs list. (P is for poplar body) It was a little beat up but worth the $$. Unfortunately the seller was a little "out there" and the deal never went down.

If you live in K'zoo, you are probably at ground zero for Heritages on the cheap. Just gotta watch craigslist, guitar center, etc. The simpler models and discontinued models are usually a bit cheaper. Like the super strat style guitars, or the LP junior style guitars.

This has been hanging around for awhile which should be some concern about the too good to be true line. Has some wear issues. Members with more knowledge on these may add some perspective on this guitar.

Heritage H140CM - Les Paul style guitar - $900 (Castle Rock)

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4426695208.html

Need to sell this ASAP. I paid much more than I am asking. Marked down from $1300, to $1,000 and now $900. This is a great price for this very collectible guitar.

H140CM - $900, OBO - original case (crafted in 1985)

No trades, I need to reduce the number of guitars I own.

The Les Paul style guitar is a Heritage H140CM "B" series (this means it was built in 1985 - Heritage was founded in April of 1985 - so this is one of the first). Built in Kalamazoo, MI in the old Gibson facilities by the guys who built Gibson guitars in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Original hardshell case.

Plays and sounds great still

-H140CM, Single cutaway, solid mahogany back with carved curly maple top

-Cream bound top, cream pickguard

-One-piece mahogany neck, 24.75" scale, 22 frets

-Fretboard is rosewood, mother of pearl dot markers.

-Two exposed-coil humbuckers; two volume, two tone; pickup selector switch -Chrome hardware, grover tuners

If you search eBay sold listing you'll find an H140 with a repaired headstock and non-original electronics went for $250 plus shipping. But those are VERY rare. At $600 for an H140/150 you should expect damage, repairs or extreme desperation. Or (sadly) deception. Sorry but that's reality. Take your time, save your money, and you'll be very happy with what you can find for $900-1200. You've got great taste--good luck!

This has been hanging around for awhile which should be some concern about the too good to be true line. Has some wear issues. Members with more knowledge on these may add some perspective on this guitar.

Heritage H140CM - Les Paul style guitar - $900 (Castle Rock)http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4426695208.html

Need to sell this ASAP. I paid much more than I am asking. Marked down from $1300, to $1,000 and now $900. This is a great price for this very collectible guitar.

H140CM - $900, OBO - original case (crafted in 1985)

No trades, I need to reduce the number of guitars I own.

The Les Paul style guitar is a Heritage H140CM "B" series (this means it was built in 1985 - Heritage was founded in April of 1985 - so this is one of the first). Built in Kalamazoo, MI in the old Gibson facilities by the guys who built Gibson guitars in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Original hardshell case.

Plays and sounds great still

-H140CM, Single cutaway, solid mahogany back with carved curly maple top

-Cream bound top, cream pickguard

-One-piece mahogany neck, 24.75" scale, 22 frets

-Fretboard is rosewood, mother of pearl dot markers.

-Two exposed-coil humbuckers; two volume, two tone; pickup selector switch -Chrome hardware, grover tuners

This is a factory 2nd, so he is still asking a little too much IMHO. Maybe it would be a good option for the OP

I found my prospect on Kalamazoo Craig's list barter section. It was an employee guitar that a kid inherited and wanted to trade for an XBox. The automated Craig's list notification apps are your friend.

I would take that deal! Tell me more about this app.

I would take that deal! Tell me more about this app.

There are a bunch for your phone. You'll just have to try a couple till you find the one that works the way you like, i had the official Craig's List app (I think). The important thing is for it to notify you when your keywords are found in the areas and categories you specify.

I've bought several cheap Heritages and haven't regretted any of them. Sometimes cheap because it's an unusual model that is unknown or a "second" or even a headstock repair. All were great bargains on Kalamazoo crafted instruments.

When I bought my 157 ( with Sheptone pickups and J Page wiring ) off of ebay it didn't meet the reserve. But the seller contacted me after and took what I offered... Life is good.

If you search eBay sold listing you'll find an H140 with a repaired headstock and non-original electronics went for $250 plus shipping. But those are VERY rare. At $600 for an H140/150 you should expect damage, repairs or extreme desperation. Or (sadly) deception. Sorry but that's reality. Take your time, save your money, and you'll be very happy with what you can find for $900-1200. You've got great taste--good luck!

I saw that one and a few months ago there was a gold top H140 with a head stock break for $500 or $600 on the east side of Michigan on CL but I was unable to contact the owner. You would think Heritages would turn up more around here but the closest dealer is in Elderly in Lansing and they only seem usually only have semi-hollow models.

Anyways I can be patient for a deal that suits me.

I found my prospect on Kalamazoo Craig's list barter section. It was an employee guitar that a kid inherited and wanted to trade for an XBox. The automated Craig's list notification apps are your friend.

I wonder if my kids would notice if their xbox went missing? :)

Archived