Heritage Owners Club

Tube Score

RJLII

I answered a local Craigslist ad from a guy selling some speakers and old tube HiFi gear. What caught my eye was a statement that he had "tons of spare tubes". So I get there, and in addition to a bunch of 70's era stereo gear, he has a five gallon pail full of tubes. There were all sorts of things I'd never seen before, plus a number of familiar faces. I managed to pull out 2 pair of Philco labeled grey glass 6V6GT (probably RCA), and a pair of NOS Raytheon EL84s in the original boxes. $40 for the lot. Not too bad. I plugged a pair of the 6V6 into my 5F10 Ivy League when I got home and they sound great.

I've got a bias probe so I can check them when I feel the need. My ear says they are close enough. They're super quiet.

I concur with your opinion They look just like the ones in the ebay photo. No 312 codes. The only other mark (besides an admonishment to always replace with genuine Philco tubes) is a zero over a six like this:

The early coated glass version of this tube has a sweeter sound than the later clear glass one. I believe the 0 6 would translate to 1950 and the 6th week.

They sound nice for 64 years old.

Those were originally intended for Car Radios !

They're great because they were designed to exclude interference from the Car's ignition !

Great Score !!

cheers!

Archived