Heritage Owners Club

How important to turn on a tube amp once in a while?

Hfan

I have a few tube amps that are really too much for my normal playing times which are usually while the family is asleep upstairs. My Twin Reverb could potentially cause some family tension if used during those hours. Really all of my amps other then my master volume Blues Jr could be an issue. When I first got my 25W 5E3 Lil Dawg the natives got restless.

It occurred to me that it hasn't been powered up in a year or so. It is currently on standby warming up..

So, is there any kind of consensus or rule of thumb for this? I have searche d and have found all sorts of questionable info.Someone said to use a Variac (I have a home made one) but isn't that just to form new tubes or something?

The question might arise for you logical types why I have these amps in the first place? Guess I'm an optimist..one day they will be used..

Just tried it..all's well. It's my 73 Twin from high school..I blackfaced it myself..ok results with a strange oscillation here and there then had a real amp tech have a go..he returned some "extra stuff" I had installed. Was fun doing the mod but I should have went to him first. Holy head room Batman, the thing is a beast. Using my 25 foot Steiner cable so I don't have to sit in front of it ha ha..

So anyone know if you need to power up a tube amp at some interval?

I believe it can affect the capacitors somewhat. I know if you have an amp that hasn't been powered on in many years, often using a variac is a good idea to get the capacitors to "reform". Basically the caps used are the standard electrolytic caps:

"Electrolytics do not suffer idleness well. They can cause big trouble when idle for long periods, needing periodic charging to stay "formed" and maintain the oxide layer that insulates the conducting plates. Sometimes they can be "reformed" by a slowly rising return to working voltage (see below). Even with regular use, electrolytics fail with age by drying out or leaking electrolyte following internal corrosion. If the electrolytic bulges, shows obvious loss of electrolyte, or simply can't be reformed you must replace it."

http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/

So basically, its a good idea to power up the amps often. I try to rotate mine on a monthly basis. And if I really don't like it, I sell it.

I meant to say, the Variac for reforming old caps not tubes duh

That was what I was thinking about, the electrolytics not getting enough use. My electrolytics are all pretty much new but i suppose you still want to power them up on occasion.

I'll start breaking them all out once in a while. The Twin is still on. It generates some heat for sure. I could heat my garage in winter with it.

Archived