Heritage Owners Club

Does Heritage still make the H 357?

rstein

Birdman, you do know how to compose AND take a shot. Just wow!! That is album cover worthy right there.

I have skills. Not with a guitar in my hand but I do have skills.... ;^)

I forgot to say that this train station was across the road from where Marv Grew up here in Alabama. I know how to kiss an ass!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only hardware or electronics that Heritage won't use, to my knowledge, is an ABR bridge. This may be a deal breaker for some, others no big deal.

Interestingly, I was watching a 2011 video of the Larry Carlton Trio. Larry was using a nashville bridge on his 335. When I google the specs for his 335, the LC Mr. 335 guitar comes with a nashville bridge as standard hardware requested by Larry himself. So I guess their are some who prefer the nashville bridge.

I was told that Marv would not install Steinberger tuners! And that is probably the most important thing for balance on a bird.

Marv said the Firebirds shape and thickness made him hesitant to do certain things with it. He was afraid of my soap bars so I went with Phat Cats. He didn't like the neck to be too thin. I told him to make it as thin as he felt was structually sound. It fits nice in my hand. I know he made several changes that he thought he could do. Look at Bill and Dave's Firebirds. No pickguard. I also know that Dave gave him hell with the BBQ sauce color he wanted but Marv worked with him.

You can work with Heritage but they have their limits. They have to guarentee their instruments. Wood and all.

I was told that Marv would not install Steinberger tuners! And that is probably the most important thing for balance on a bird.

I'm happy with my minis. It doesn't fall around when I let go of the guitar. They are hard to get used to. ;^)

Jon, on my Prospect they installed a Faber ABR-1 bridge with their large posts. I had it drop shipped.

There is a school of thought that the ABR-1 bridge posts going straight into the wood picks up more vibrations (sustain & tone) than the nashville post that use the large metal bushings. BUT the metal bushings offer more resistance to the bridge collapsing, which a good thing. Also as Daniel said the ABR offers more clearance over the back of the bridge so the strings don't hit and you can lower the stoptail as low as you like. Using an ABR-1 conversion bridge that fits on the Nashville posts will allow for great string clearance from the back of the bridge and looks that same as the '50s-60s ABR (except for the metal bushing in the top of the guitar).

A lot of the ABR-1 vs Nashville debate is around "vintage correctness". Some of it I buy into, but if the guitar sounds great, it sounds great. The issue is to compare the nashville equipped guitar to an a good ABR-1 equipped guitar.

But again, if a Nashville bridge is preferred by the MAN, Larry Carlton Mr 335..... it shows that tone is in the hands.

I forgot to say that this train station was across the road from where Marv Grew up here in Alabama. I know how to kiss an ass!

Well done bird lol!

Don't forget to wash it first.

Reading all of this makes me feel like a dummy for selling my first run H357 with super minis. I advertised in the back of vintage guitar magazine...remember the days when you answered an ad and had to send a guy 5 bucks for photos? I do!

Anyway, if you have a chance to get one I'd get after it!!!!

Archived