Heritage Owners Club

Does Heritage still make the H 357?

rstein

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shhh, keep it quiet!

Listen up, this is on the down low. Marv still makes them in pairs from time to time. I have the first one he made, or at least the one he made for himself... Long story, don't ask!

I bet if you asked real nice like, you could get on the list!

Did you get your shirt from Bill?

Wow, a lot of negativity on this thread. If that is what he charges for a handmade low production unique guitar, people might want to check out how much other boutique handmade builds cost. Compared to others, $3K is very fair.

Marv is not that bad at least not that I have seen. I was at the plant a lot during my H 157 build he helped me do a custom neck and help me pick out my finish. He always tells me if I have any question stop in and ask him even after my H 157 was built.

MSRP?

Marv is anything but a manufacturer, and I have a hard time imagining him "suggesting anything." And Heritage, "retail"?! John's dead on it. There's an awful lot of provenance in a Marv built 357! I've played maybe a half-dozen 'em. They are not my cup of tea, but they are spectacular instruments! I have a build from a terrific local luthier, some of the guys here saw it at PSP. Magnificent work! "MSRP" on that bad boy....well north of $3K.

'Normal' non-custom one-offs (i.e. 157, 525, 555, Miilie Pro) from Heritage can be very close to $3k if any upgrades are added.

That's a bargain for a handmade instrument from these masters.

Gibson is charging double that for some Custom Shop LP's.

I'd say $3k is on the low end. Depends what appointments you want, pickups, etc.

I have a Pelham blue that I had made late last year and I'm not sure how it could have been built any better. Super light (I'm guessing they pick the nicest woods for these), the neck is a Marv special unless you indicate otherwise, and all the details are perfect and it's set up ready to go. That's the first and only (and likely last) new guitar I've ever purchased (aside from my first guitar that my mother bought me when I was a kid). It was worth every cent.

I'd say $3k is on the low end. Depends what appointments you want, pickups, etc.

That makes sense, as a production 150/157 would hit that range and you'd expect a 357 to be higher....

( lightweight, pelham blue 357.... sounds like a blast... )

Wow, a lot of negativity on this thread. If that is what he charges for a handmade low production unique guitar, people might want to check out how much other boutique handmade builds cost. Compared to others, $3K is very fair.

A hand built Kauer Banshee, which I feel is the best current boutique Firebird/357 type guitar on the market (you can order it with pretty much any hardware or electronics), is about $3000. For his stock birds', Kauer uses Klein pickups, Steinberger tuners, and Spanish Cedar which comes in at some good weights that balance perfectly, and has some serious tricks in his bag for balancing them. He also offers real ABR's with lightweight stoptails, vibrola setups, and wraptail bridges. On my Gibson I had to change out all the hardware and electronics to get it there, and I would do the same with a 357 because Marv won't use what I would want (just ask Bill Gelder). So in my IMNSHO that price isn't really that great of a deal.

Archived