Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-Tone Report: Swart Space Tone Stereo

barrymclark

With my 40th birthday coming next May, I have been in a carefully measured search for my first really nice amp. My only financial constraint is I want to keep it under $3k. Should be pretty easy to do.

Anyways, one of the amps I so VERY much wanted to try was a Swart Space Tone Tremolo. The only real stumbling block was the closest dealers were an hour drive at a minimum. That all changed recently when I saw that Southern Guitars here in Cartersville, GA has started carrying Swart. I go in from time to time to pick up strings so I figured I'd see if Bryan (owner) minded if I swung in to try one out with my guitars sometime. "No problem! Bring 'em!"

I loaded up the 575 and Eagle this morning and went on over.

When I walked in (they didn't know I was coming today), the owner and another employee were huddled around the Swart amps they had display playing through the Space Tone Stereo. Welcomed warmly, I told them which amp I wanted to try. No doubt, the Stereo they had (pictured) is a REAL eye catcher. ...at least it is for me. For some reason, amps that make me think Ren & Stimpy just sort of works for me. ANYWAYS.... I was there to play the Space Tone Tremolo...which had unfortunately sold a couple of days before (what happens when you show up unannounced). So... I told them I'd just try the Space Tone. They pulled it out from the wall... but then made a quick suggestion.

"This is a great sounding amp, but, seriously, give the Stereo a quick play while the Space Tone warms up."

I did...

Holy crap. When I say holy crap... what I mean is HOLY S&%^!

I knew these amps were well spoken of. I knew that the owner of Swart (whom has been WONDERFULLY gracious in answering my questions) takes GREAT care in the build of these amps... but, in the end, if it isn't the tone I am after, then that is that.

In this case, the tone was BEAUTIFUL. I gotta tell you, if you are into smokey cleans, I don't believe this amp has a peer. I truly, truly don't. I also am not so sure it has a dollar to watt peer either. haha. None the less, money not being an object, I think this amp is a class leader all by itself. Do yourself a HUGE favor and try it.

The highs had this perfect roll off you just have to hear to believe. The saturation of the tones were somehow... wonderfully perfect. I have heard amps (Mesa Express 5:50) that had a STUNNING tone in the highs/mids leaving the bass to suffer. This one... just... WOW. Just... WOW. Bass was solid and tight... and the highs/mids had this subtle saturation at intimate volumes that really make me think of a smoke-house jazz singer that is up to two packs a day... and I mean that in a good way.

When I rang out the harmonics for Sleep Walk.. I think I drooled a little.

I finally went plugged into the the Space Tone and, it was nice, but just not the Stereo.

Back into the Stereo I went for a few more.

Here's a link to the products' page for the Stereo for detailed info: http://www.swartamps.com/swart_st-stereo.htm

...but here is the short and sweet:

• Two single-ended Class A 5W power amps in stereo
  • The matching cabs have (in the one I played) two Celestion Creambacks turned out 45 degrees to give a nice stereo separation.
  • For tremolo, one of the channels pulsates while the other stays constant.
  • The volume and tone for each amp is individually controllable.
  • At a glance, the construction seems TIGHT.

In a nutshell, my ever shortening list of potential amps for my 40th birthday just got a new top spot resident. Good luck catching this one.

post-987-0-70634000-1411852155_thumb.jpg

Swart makes some great stuff! I haven't had an opportunity to play any of their amps, but I do have their Night Light attenuator which I run through my Two-Rock Studio 22. It's a fantastic little unit, with a cool blue LED that works like a strobe light as you play. When I contacted Swart about it, they were very gracious and helpful with all my inane questions.

Swart makes some great stuff! I haven't had an opportunity to play any of their amps, but I do have their Night Light attenuator which I run through my Two-Rock Studio 22. It's a fantastic little unit, with a cool blue LED that works like a strobe light as you play. When I contacted Swart about it, they were very gracious and helpful with all my inane questions.

That was my experience with them as well. Answered every little question I had.

I loved the tone of my STR, but since I hardly used it, I sold it. The stereo amp sounds great, but I would never use the tremolo. If they made a version without it, I'd buy it.

I loved the tone of my STR, but since I hardly used it, I sold it. The stereo amp sounds great, but I would never use the tremolo. If they made a version without it, I'd buy it.

It wouldn't be stereo, but there is the STR Tweed. It is a mono amp with reverb and no trem. But... I gotta say, I really liked the stereo. The fullness created by the 45 degree speakers was just something. BIG sound from a couple of 5w amps.

I think Thundersteel brought his to PSP one year, or someone did. I was very impressed with how loud, yet wonderful tones that cam out of such a tiny amp. Bit expensive, but if tone is what you're after without a budget, then that sounds like the amp for you... Good Luck Barry!

The fun thing about the Swart is what kinda turned me on to them. Of course, the positive reviews but the negative ones as well. The negative ones seemed to outline that this amp didn't do any of the things I didn't want it to do. :)

That's what I read into the reviews. But the thing that sold me on the Swart amps is the great tone I got plugging my ES330 into my friend Troy's STR Trem. One of the best tones I've heard yet at a volume I could work with in a recording studio, yet still loud enough for live work.

His was the one in the smaller cab...

http://swartamps.com/amplifiers-swart_str-tremolo.htm

That's what I read into the reviews. But the thing that sold me on the Swart amps is the great tone I got plugging my ES330 into my friend Troy's STR Trem. One of the best tones I've heard yet at a volume I could work with in a recording studio, yet still loud enough for live work.

His was the one in the smaller cab...

http://swartamps.com/amplifiers-swart_str-tremolo.htm

Kelly at Swart is insistent that I try the AST or AST Pro before I truly set my mind on the Stereo. That's honestly pretty cool. I dig that they are trying to get me to try a less expensive version if they feel it is a better fit. In the end, sure, I make that decision, but it is cool they have enough long sight to see that getting me into the right thing to start with will make for a VERY happy customer.

Barry I'm kicking around the same idea regarding a boutique amp purchase.

I almost play jazz exclusively now and wondering if you felt it would be a good choice for a 535 jazz rig? I'm playing a Roland cube for small rehearsals and school gigs and if needing more power I haul the Fender Bassman now.

Barry I'm kicking around the same idea regarding a boutique amp purchase.

I almost play jazz exclusively now and wondering if you felt it would be a good choice for a 535 jazz rig? I'm playing a Roland cube for small rehearsals and school gigs and if needing more power I haul the Fender Bassman now.

I hear you. I believe it'd be fine for a 335. You'd just need to hear it for yourself.

Kelly at Swart is insistent that I try the AST or AST Pro before I truly set my mind on the Stereo. That's honestly pretty cool. I dig that they are trying to get me to try a less expensive version if they feel it is a better fit. In the end, sure, I make that decision, but it is cool they have enough long sight to see that getting me into the right thing to start with will make for a VERY happy customer.

I've seen more than one AST in some professional stage rigs. Buddy Miller had 2 of them, and the lead guitarist of Steve Earles band was using 2 on his side of the stage too!

I've seen more than one AST in some professional stage rigs. Buddy Miller had 2 of them, and the lead guitarist of Steve Earles band was using 2 on his side of the stage too!

I am curious to try one. I gotta say though, it has a tough road to hoe to beat the ST Stereo. The fullness of the Stereo I am just not sure can be beat with a single speaker. Keeping an open mind though! I'd much rather lug the single speaker combo than the head/212 configuration! We shall see!

It wouldn't be stereo, but there is the STR Tweed. It is a mono amp with reverb and no trem

That's the one I had.

I think Thundersteel brought his to PSP one year, or someone did.

Yes, I did. I played "Smoke On the Water" through it and my H-555. It sounded awesome!

Archived