Heritage Owners Club

Guitar Amps?! WHAT Guitar Amps?!

schundog

My wife and I went out Saturday night for Valentine's Day with 2 other couples we hang around with. After a sub-par meal at a normally really good fancy restaurant, I suggested we go hear some live music (and get some real food) at a fun neighborhood bar called the Western Tap, More our style, anyway!

After circling the block 3 times to find a parking space, we all squeezed into the crowded bar at about 7:30. Being in the middle of the neighborhood, they had to shut down the live music by 11:00, or, if the past is any indication, the cops will be showing up. We got a table right in front of the band, "The Bygones." Four guys ranging from very late 40s to late 50s, very good at their craft, and having a lot of fun covering 70s and 80s rock, including a full cowbell rendition of "Don't Fear The Reaper." As I wrestled my way to the bar to order some cold ones, the lead singer congratulated some couple who had been married 5 years that day. I happened to be standing right next to the couple, a fun looking, albeit rough duo, who had both been around the block a few times. I congratulated them, and the man said "Yep, I met her here SIX years ago tonight, and stole her from her boyfriend! We got married FIVE years ago tonight!" They were having a ball. The lead singer normally plays bass, but had his arm in a sling for some reason, and took over cowbell duties for the night along with covering the vox. Lots of good harmonies, and the lone guitarist covered a lot of ground with his Gibson ES-335 and Fat Strat. At times, he had to quickly go from guitar to the keyboard right in front of him, depending on the tune. The mix was good; We were right up front, but I didn't feel like we were getting blasted by volume. I looked around for his amp, only to find they were running their whole sound through two Bose L-1 tower units and a sub. I complimented them on the break on their sound; Tone snobs may agree to disagree on the actual tone, but I have to say, if they were easily able to dial in a good mix with these things in all kinds of situations (they were crammed into a corner that normally houses the dartboard field-of fire) I can see why they dig 'em. Very light, easy load in/load out, too, although these near Seniors were smart; I saw two large fat-tired metal wagons in a corner with road cases stacked on them. Not their first rodeo....

DUAL-L1-MOD-I-DBP.jpg

Sounds like a fun night. What was the guitar player using to shape his sound into the Bose?

Randy, he had a switching system at his feet that must have gone to something, but I didn't see any "regular" stomps or multi-effects. He may have had a rack somewhere out of sight. I tried to engage him in conversation on their break, but didn't get anything more than a "thanks" from him when I complimented their sound; his "fanclub" of similar vintage groupies had recently arrived in too tight jeans tucked into black leather boots up to their knees. They came in the front door, right by the band, during their set, and I made a crack about them to Andrea. Knowing the bar Ho I USED to be, she said, "Yeah, well, YOU'D ^$#^ 'em..." I was hurt..... On Valentine's Day, no less...... :laughing5:

... his "fanclub" of similar vintage groupies had recently arrived in too tight jeans tucked into black leather boots up to their knees.

Your keen powers of observation span across all kinds of gear, I see.

I use one of those L1 systems which is house supplied at my day gig with a Bose T1 mixer that I bought and programmed for myself. They are good rigs, but in no way can compete with my Schertler Jam 400 system for a the fat warm tone that I tend to like. I can say though for polite stuff the T1 and L1 together are pretty good pair.

• 2 weeks later...

it's always of great interest to me to see what bands are using for their rigs and sound. I love the story of the night out, wish I had been there!

Archived