Heritage Owners Club

Quilter Amps...

Quilter amps never interested me until a buddy of mine scored one recently. He's a jazz player so it seemed normal for him to go for the super cleans from a solid state amp. He LOVES this thing!

Checking out their website and seeing the artists associated with Quilter, it seems their products are gathering momentum across many music genre.

I do like the concept of a lightweight, reliable and most important...great sounding platform.

They just came out with a couple of head versions that look very interesting...especially as I get older and tire of schlepping heavy gear to/from gigs.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/aboutus/product-guide

IMNSHO - I played two of these a few weeks ago, and they didn't do it for me. Too sterile! Let me qualify my statement, I don't like totally clean amps, but that's not what they are being touted as anyway. They didn't give me the punch (fat harmonic content) along with that little bit of crunch I like to dial into an amp for touch sensitivity, as in, play light and you get clean, dig in and you get break up that turns you on and makes you want to riff. They remind me of the old Lab Series Norlin amps which many people liked, though, I of course, didn't:) To each his own. I plugged into a hardwired AC15HW1X (the model with the Celestion Blue), that was right next to the Quilters, and the party began. They pretty much had to pry me from that one! But some would think I'm a rock and roll luddite, so if you want to play clean jazz on a sold state and want to go budget get a Roland, from the cube to the JC120 they will surely get the job done, want to spend some serious jack, buy an Evans. To me, the Quilter did neither (clean or dirty) as well as what I've listed here.

I'm really interested to try one of their MicroPro Mach 2's. This video was pretty amazing, at least in my eyes.

I think they got something really cool going on.

Dan, which one did you play?

I don't know the model, but I am going to the same shop so I will take a picture of the one I played through. By the way that Quilter might sound like a Marshall in that video, but that Marshall is set up for a ratty kind of distortion with no punch, if you want to hear what a Marshall should really sound like, listen to the Marshalls in the other thread that I posted where you can hear the balls of a real singing Marshall. Like I said previously the AC15HW1 shamed the Quilter.

Archived