Heritage Owners Club

Repeat Offenders, Speak up Please! How many of you are multiple Heritage owners

Gitfiddler

I am amazed at how many Heritage owners have more than one of these instruments.  Sure, I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to being WEAK for a cool new guitar!  :)

Two Questions:

1.  How many of you own more than one Heritage?

and...

2.  Why did you purchase the SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH,...Heritage?

Guilty as charged.

I bought it because I didn't care for the current G word offerings at the time - overprced and most of the ones I played were dead.  My first was a custom ordered H-535 from Jay.  Select flame maple, Almond Burst, Seth Lovers (way before these were common), Trapezoid inlays, bound peg head and f holes, deep C shape neck.  The first one I returned as it wasn't select maple and the neck was way to thin.  The second was was destroyed at the factory - they kept repairing what they thought was a finisih crack only to realize the body had cracked!  The third one came and was gorgeous, but the neck was more of a D shape than a C shape.  I had a fret dress done locallay and it played and sounded like a dream, but the neck was too club like in my hands.  I sent it back to Heritage for a re-shape - supposed to be about an 8 week task.  After a year (yes a year) I tell them I need the guitar back and yes I had been in commiunication all along.  I get it back and the finish work on the neck was horrible - didn't match the body, orange peeling, looked like a kindergartner did it.  I sent it back again, and this time they got the finish right - but in the process had put on a new fingerboard and now it played like shit!  I had another fret dress done and it played great, but I had become dissmayed with the guitar.  I sold it a little while later when I was batteling a herniated disc and playing the larger body of the 535 aggreviated it.

H-535 number two.  Gorgeous super flamely antique natural that I bought new off of ebay.  This one also played wonderful after a fret dress.  This one had HRW pickups and is the one I compared side by side with Seth Lovers and why I prefer Seth Lovers.  This had a thin C shape neck that was comfortable, but I would have prefered more beef.  I sold this at the same time and for the same reason as the Almond Burst one above.

Custom Ordered Millenium 2k from Jay.  This may have actually been Heriage number two - if fact I think it was.  Quilt maple, chestnut burst, toggle switch on upper bout, arched maple back (turned out to be a mistake in my case) solid trap inlays, seth lovers.  This was a beutiful guitar and probably had the most comfortable neck of all of my Heriages.  However, it weighd allot more than I was expecting - as much as my solid body Les Paul.  Tone was great, playabilty excellent (after a fret dress).  The arched back ended up tipping the guitar into an odd position when it was on the strap.  I never got used to the way it hung and so I let it go.  I keep thinking about custom ordering one of these again with a flat back - but I'm not sure how to get a light one.

H-535 number three.  I saw it on Jays website and had to have it.  H-535 special - antique natural with super flame, sperzel tuners, tone pros bridge and tail piece, bound peg head, antiquitys - sweet!  I think Jay said it was the flamiest 535 he had seen.  I still have it.

H-137.  The second one made.  Bought about the same time as the 535 above.  I bought this one becuase Jay said it was the lightest one of the batch - he only had the first three at the time - about 1/2 pound lighter than the others!  I love this guitar.  Tone for days, super resonant and probably the best clean sustain of any guitar I have owned.  Still have it.

H-535 number 4.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for flame maple.  This was an impulse buy after surfing Jays website - I gotta stop doing that.  This one has the most comfortable neck of all the 535s I have had.  Originally it had HRWs, but I had them replaced with Seth Lovers - that's the sound I'm talking about!  The HRWs I sold here to Dick Seacup.  Still have this one.

I bought the first two, a H157 and H150, because the dealer had them about 18 months and wanted to get  them out the door.  I felt I negotiated a pretty good deal.  I then purchased a H555 off eBay because I wanted a semi-hollow guitar.

There is an old saying (according to my old grandmother) that says:  "Before you go pointing your finger at others, remember there are four more pointing back at you!"  Grandma Gitfiddler

Anyway, I too am guilty of owning more than one Heritage.

#1  Sweet 16 in Almond Burst, purchased slightly used off of Ebay after test driving a number of Heritages at a local music store.  I was so impressed by the build quality, solid wood, great tone and overall feel of the archtop models, I had to have one.  I had my eye on H575's and  Used was the only way I could afford one.  'Sweetie' popped up on the Bay as a real bargain.  Eight years ago there was not as much interest in Heritage, so used prices were very reasonable.

#2  Golden Eagle, Old Style Sunburst, purchased in like new condition, but used off of Ebay because I've always wanted that elusive Wes Montgomery tone.  This one had it in spades.  Plus it had the most incredible quilt maple back/sides I'd ever seen on a full bodied archtop.  (I had to get Mrs. Gitfiddler's blessing on this pricey fiddle!)

#3  H575 Custom, Antique Natural (used) seduced me after daily viewing at Jay Wolfe's notorious, yet addictive website.  I am so weak when it comes to quilt maple...but this one had a natural finish, quilt maple TOP!  Very unusual, like it or hate it look.  I like it very much.  It reminded me of my first archtop, a Gibson ES165...except 1,000% better.  Man, am I glad I sold that Gibson!  The H575 has the fattest tone for its body size!!

#4  H555 Custom, Golden Amber, brand new 2007, plek'd beauty.  What can I say?!  I sold two gorgeous G&L's to land this incredible instrument.  Another victim of gazing upon the evil Jay Wolfe website...during the temporary Heritage factory shutdown.  (Will I ever have a chance of owning the semi-hollow guitar of my dreams?  Maybe...if I make an offer to Jay...)

I throw myself on the mercy of the Heritage Owners Club Court of addictive players and repeat offenders!  8) 

Hello...I'm Slate, and I have a problem....

My supplier, the late Sam Moss, called me one night about six years ago: "Slate, got one for ya...."  I'd heard that before; meant one thing.  This time, something I'd never seen before, Heritage???  Sam knew I was looking for a hollow body; I'd been thinking 335 or 350.  Sam said, "Forget that!"  Went to his shop the next day.  He knew I was coming and, of course, had put it on a stand in his window.  '91 natural 576.  I'd been a Lester Polfus player forever.  Jeeze!  The maple!  Played it for about an hour.  Traded a '72 P Bass and a '62 Guild 125-T for it.  Took it home with a hang tag Sam had made just so I could get it past my wife: "Old Guitar, $49.95."

Two years ago, Sam was on the skids, but no one, not even those closest to him, knew it.  He was letting go of things subtly.  Well-acquainted with Heritage now, I lusted after his Custom 150.  His spec: ebony board, 1 3/4" at the nut, just a stop tailpiece a la junior, Duncan Alnico's, and The Coolest Top....Fabulous chevrons in a Sunsetburst finish.  He let me steal it.  I should have known....

Sam NEVER steered me wrong! 

I turned fifty-five this year, and retirement is almost in sight.  In celebration of making it to middle-age with my sense of humor and marriage still intact, I ordered a custom Super Eagle from Jay, back on May 5!  Almond sunburst, the wide neck, and P-90's.  I knew Sam would dig the stick....  I really hope this one is built!     

H-137  :)

H-535  :D

And just arrived today - this very afternoon, H-150CM  ;D  These guitars just blow my Gibson electrics away in playability.  I struggle always with my Gibsons to get nice action / playability - very finicky.  The Heritages, especiallly my 535, are just amazing.  I shaped, cut & installed a new camel bone nut on my 535 this evening, it is now the best guitar I've ever played. Ever. 

No more "chink" with the bone nut (Sorry Heritage, the Corian nuts have got to go...).  My Les Paul Standard (with it's plastic trapezoids) just looks cheap next to my new H-150.  No compromises on the Heritage. MOP inlays, nice flamed maple top, Sperzel tuners, I like the SD 59-ers..

Cheers, Cryoman.

I currently have 3, with a 4th one on the way.

H157CM--Dark Almond Burst retrofitted with HRWs--bought last year.

H150CM LW--Burnt Almond with '59s--bought last month.

H575 Custom--Dark Almond Burst with Schallers--also bought last month.

H150CM--ChestnutBurst with Lollar P90s--on the way soon.

Heritages have a certain something that my two G*****s don't have; plus, Heritage offers options that you can't get from G*****.

That's why I bought my Heritages.

I discovered Heritage back on 1999.  Here is what I have,in the order I purchased them. Love the all!

1.  535 - Antique burst, Seth Lovers

2.  137 - TV Yellow, dual P90's

3.  150 - Almond burst, SD '59's

4.  525 - Vintage burst, P90 pups

5.  550 - Dark Almond bust, Pearly Gates pups

Recent convert to Heritage. Just two, so far.  ;)

'05 H157. Was looking for nice, dark single cut to sit with my PRS McCarty. Needed tubes for the AC30CC1. Found both on the same site. We talked, agreed on a deal for tubes and guitar. Presto!! Got my first Heritage.

'07 H535. Was helping set up the ring at a dog show. Went to the local music shop the night before the show. Saw the H535, which is absolutely GORGEOUS!. Wife liked it, too. So, it got shipped home while we worked the show.

Why more than 1? Build quality, playability, price. Like many here, these are my G/guitars. Next up is an H575, if I can figure out the configuration I want.

There is an old saying (according to my old grandmother) that says: "Before you go pointing your finger at others, remember there are four more pointing back at you!"
I tried that and there were only three fingers pointing back. ;)

Embarresed to say I own 7 Heritage guitars… used to have more. My favorites are the h-575 custom (maple, not spruce top) and the Academy which I've writen about here before. I once played a Millenium that was really great too, but never saw that model again (think it was spruce or maybe cedar top).

I got my first Heritage because I wanted a smaller semi-hollow body guitar. Sold it because the sound didn't light me up. I bought the H-140 10th anniversary model because it was just SO pretty. Turned out to also sound great and have a wonderful ebony fingerboard. The third one was a Gold Top H-150 that was great, except it weighed 13.5 lbs and I just got tired of such a heavy guitar. The fourth one is an H-137 I custom ordered because I liked the ebony fingerboard and crowns on the H-140 so much I got a clone of the fingerboard on the new one.

So I've had four, still have two.

Four

I'd been dreaming of a Gibson 335 since I heard Robben Ford with the Yellow Jackets back in the early Eighties. They were allways too expensive for me as an amateur player. Then I ran into Heritage and got the 535.

One year later I got some money from the boss because I'd been a teacher for 25 years and bought a 150 right away.

Then I got hold of two oldies: the 127 and the 162. Both are nice, but the 162 (a black one is on Ebay now) is GREAT.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My first post here ....

I have two Heritages, both purchased from Jay Wolfe in Florida, and both are absolute stunners.

The first I bought last November, a 535 Custom, Golden Amber with Seymour Duncan 59's and "vintage" hardware.

The second I bought a mere six weeks later, a 575 Custom, Tobacco Sunburst with Duncan 59's, ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl inlays etc.

Both guitars are left handed and I got a great deal from Jay, so good that I'm hoping he gets in another couple of lefties soon, a 525 or 137 with P90's ....  ;)

Hi all,

My first post here ....

I have two Heritages, both purchased from Jay Wolfe in Florida, and both are absolute stunners.

The first I bought last November, a 535 Custom, Golden Amber with Seymour Duncan 59's and "vintage" hardware.

The second I bought a mere six weeks later, a 575 Custom, Tobacco Sunburst with Duncan 59's, ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl inlays etc.

Both guitars are left handed and I got a great deal from Jay, so good that I'm hoping he gets in another couple of lefties soon, a 525 or 137 with P90's ....  ;)

Welcome to the Club!  You better get your (guitar) picture posted before the etiquette police show up, though! Heh.  :P

Update:  I'm up to eight now.  In order of acquisition: 575 custom, 576, 155, 575, 535, 157, Milly DC, 155.  The guitars I have posted over on the For Sale board are my doubles (kinda like baseball cards, eh?).

John~ I think you win the 'Heritage Hootchie' award, my friend!  ;)

And yes, I'm jealous. :)

Glad to be here ....

I bought Heritage for a number of reasons. The first being the fact that I am left handed and live in Ireland, where high end left handed instruments are not stocked in retail outlets and are very expensive. I don't mind paying for quality but I do mind paying over the odds and having to wait six months for the goods to arrive. I've been playing since 1980 and I now own twenty one guitars, bad GAS attack I know, and have the usual models, Strat ( x6 ), Tele, LP Standard and also Musicman and ESP. The last instrument I bought in Ireland was a 60th Anniversary Strat, it took six months to arrive, had a 59th year serial number and came equipped with a right hand tremolo arm, also it was badly setup.

I was in the market for a semi solid late last year. The Irish retail on a new 335 is 3500 euro, with a six month wait, but a bad experience with a 335 in the 90's put me off. I had bought a new ES335 dot in 1994 ... it buzzed badly and all of the chrome fell off after about 18 months.

Anyway I came across Jays website where he had an amazing lefty 535 Custom Golden Amber in stock with SD 59s , and the price was very appealing. The guitar sings and is amazingly resonant, easily better than the "real" thing. Tone to die for as they say.

I bought the 575 Custom a few weeks later, again left handed jazz boxes are as rare as hens teeth where I come from, except for maybe a Samick or an Aria.

A new lefty ES175 is approx $4000 usd, and I can only imagine what price that would be in Ireland. Jay had a used 575 in stock just before Christmas at half that price and I couldn't resist. The guitar reeks quality and is a joy to play. I almost feel guilty playing it ... almost.  :D

Does this mean that I've become a Heritage addict ?  :)

John~ I think you win the 'Heritage Hootchie' award, my friend!  ;)

And yes, I'm jealous. :)

Well see, here's the thing: you can PayPal with a credit card, and then a beautiful Heritage comes along at a good price, and something inside me says "that guitar is worth way more than that," and the next thing you know the UPS guy is at the door with a big box.  I suppose it beats gambling--at least I'll get my money back at some point.

Archived