Heritage Owners Club

A Must for Single Coils

For those of us who love our single coils wether it be a Stratocaster, Telecaster, or something with P90's, there is a rather inexpensive pedal to help with the hum....

Joyo Ironman Series Gate of Khan.

JOYOGateofKahn.jpg

This is a rather tiny pedal, about 1/3 the size of a normal sized pedal. Makes my Boss pedals look like an Electro Harmonix Big Muff.

https://youtu.be/KVGve2CWQME

I learned about it through Shane from Intheblues. He's a rather informative down to earth gear demo guy who has some series chops...

Only "issue" I found with this pedal is its so small, it requires a power supply as its too small for a 9 volt battery...

Well, I use even a cheaper solution and it doesn't filter your tone in anyway....

KNS-6-1_zpssqkojkjw.jpg

Turn this down to "1" between songs and then up to "7-10" when playing!!! I have one on my Strat, Teles, and 150P90..... I think you have one too!!! :)

So if I'm understanding this correctly, It doesnt actually do anything about the noise, It just kills the signal at a certain level.

That is correct, but you set the level in which it cuts the noise. I use it in the effects loop so any amp hiss from the preamp or the 60 cycle hum from the single coils isn't there when I'm not playing.

That is correct, but you set the level in which it cuts the noise. I use it in the effects loop so any amp hiss from the preamp or the 60 cycle hum from the single coils isn't there when I'm not playing.

'Xactly. IMO, a noise gate is indispensable when playing a single coil guitar through a high gain amp or when using OD/distortion/fuzz pedals. I've used a Boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor for several years in my main pedal chain, and have found it very effective. This little Joyo pedal might be just the ticket for my church praise band rig, since I have very little extra room on that board...

Ah, but the pedal helps when you stop playing in a song for breaks....

Again, I guess I am old fashioned (maybe just getting old).... but everyone I have seen from the late Sean Costello to Eric Clapton to Vince Gill to Buddy Guy... ect will just roll down their volume between songs or solos (if they sing on the verses).

Just my .02.

Check it out if it fits your needs.

what i do is just find the direction i need to be pointing in so I get minimal hum, and stay there. I messed with the EHX hum Debugger, which is an actual phase cancellation pedal, but i felt it colored the tone. Noise gates and/or noise suppressors these days are very good at killing the noise without killing the sound. They use downward expansion and tracking to do a more intelligent noise reduction.

I swear by the ISP decimator, and decimator G-string. Best noise suppression on the market, IMHO.

Well, how was it?

Does exactly what it's supposed to. I plugged in a Strat with single coils, got real close & parallel to the amp so that I was getting plenty of 60Hz hum coming through the speaker, and then kicked on the Gate of Kahn. Gradually dialed up the Threshold control until the hum disappeared, and then checked for any gating of the guitar signal. With the control knob at about 10:30, the noise was gone but the guitar signal sounded perfect, with normal sustain. Very transparent, no audible coloration of the signal. It doesn't have the features of a fancier noise gate, like my Boss NS-2, but it does the job....and it was only $65, delivered. True bypass, and comes with pre-cut rubber or Velcro self-adhesive pads for the bottom of the enclosure. Sweet! It's going on my church praise band pedal board, where space is at a premium.

Does exactly what it's supposed to. I plugged in a Strat with single coils, got real close & parallel to the amp so that I was getting plenty of 60Hz hum coming through the speaker, and then kicked on the Gate of Kahn. Gradually dialed up the Threshold control until the hum disappeared, and then checked for any gating of the guitar signal. With the control knob at about 10:30, the noise was gone but the guitar signal sounded perfect, with normal sustain. Very transparent, no audible coloration of the signal. It doesn't have the features of a fancier noise gate, like my Boss NS-2, but it does the job....and it was only $65, delivered. True bypass, and comes with pre-cut rubber or Velcro self-adhesive pads for the bottom of the enclosure. Sweet! It's going on my church praise band pedal board, where space is at a premium.

Joyo produces some amazing stuff. This is my 3rd Joyo pedal. For the price, they really can't be beat. Glad you like it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have noiseless pickups in my Robert Cray necked Stratocaster which came from a guy in Michigan who buys guitars then sells them!

I like the idea of putting it in the effects loop to quiet down the amp too. DUHVOODOOMAN, how does this unit compare to the Boss noise supressor. Any difference in tone coloration, effectiveness. Just curious

As far as how well the two pedals suppress noise while being tonally transparent, I think they're very comparable. The difference is in features & flexibility. The NS-2 gives you separate Threshold and Decay controls, a Mute setting, and a send/return loop that you can put all of your "dirt" pedals in. With the Gate of Kahn, it's just the single Threshold control, but it seems to work very well, and there's something to be said for simplicity.

• 1 month later...

I still have mine and it works awesome. In fact, last time I did a jam, I was using a humbucker loaded guitar and had all sorts of noise from the dirty power. Using this in the effects loop, I elminated the hum and no one knew the difference in tone.

I still have mine and it works awesome. In fact, last time I did a jam, I was using a humbucker loaded guitar and had all sorts of noise from the dirty power. Using this in the effects loop, I elminated the hum and no one knew the difference in tone.

Sick!! Thanks man. Very excited. My basement has bad power it is just noisy. This will be a lifesaver.

Archived