Heritage Owners Club

633 amplification (again)

bobmeyrick

I've mentioned them before, but this afternoon I had the chance to play through one. Cliff Brown (formerly chief designer for Blackstar and the man who builds 633 amps) brought some of them along to a local guitar shop (the Guitar Spot in Beeston, just to the west of Nottingham). I was particularly drawn to the Road King 50, Cliff's latest amp and his take on the Dumble, but with reverb and a buffered FX loop. It was looking particularly gorgeous in its solid maple cabinet. All point-to-point wiring.

I nipped home to get my own guitar (the Paulman Paragon semi) and had a good play through it... I don't think it's possible to get a bad sound out of the amp. Nice features include a "headroom" control to get output tube distortion a sensible volumes, and the footswitch has a 9V output incorporated in it to power your effects pedals. The 633 badge lights up when the amp is on.

I want one... :icon_sunny:

Some pics...

12391368_1016458078427981_69443038391314

12370741_1016458075094648_35882584432600

12370967_1016458071761315_11089731580488

12316526_1016458061761316_51198716854885

12377723_1016458068427982_70204903367845

12362885_1016458128427976_85881896477649

The Road King is 633's newest amp, so there aren't any videos, but here's some fine blues from Kirk Fletcher, who used a 633 "Groove King" on a recent UK tour...

Its sounds like some really original (and thoughtful) ideas have gone into that amp. I like the idea of putting the 9v output on a footswitch to supply a pedalboard and the headroom control in pretty interesting. Adding a buffered FX loop is nice as well. I would love to hear one. A Dumble style amp is one that I've never gotten to try.

Its sounds like some really original (and thoughtful) ideas have gone into that amp. I like the idea of putting the 9v output on a footswitch to supply a pedalboard and the headroom control in pretty interesting. Adding a buffered FX loop is nice as well. I would love to hear one. A Dumble style amp is one that I've never gotten to try.

Cliff is a fine guitarist who gigs regularly, as well as being an amp maker, so his ideas get road-tested. Having seen him play a few times, I was keen to try out his amps for myself - they're not cheap (in the region of £2000+) but since he hand builds every one they can be tailored to suit your individual requirements. A bit like a Heritage guitar...

Man, I'm a sucker for beautiful wood, and that head/cab is over the top gorgeous. Dumble-clone with reverb, gobs of headroom and a creative solution to the 9v pedal power dilemma!

So, Bob, have you already started saving for one of these gems? :icon_smile:

Man, I'm a sucker for beautiful wood, and that head/cab is over the top gorgeous. Dumble-clone with reverb, gobs of headroom and a creative solution to the 9v pedal power dilemma!

So, Bob, have you already started saving for one of these gems? :icon_smile:

I'm seriously thinking about it! I have a few amps and the odd guitar I could sell...

Cliff made an interesting point about the hardwood cabs. Apparently minor dents can be removed by the gentle application of steam and then a bit of refinishing.

NIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! Have yet to see a builder put a cheesy chassis in such a nice headshell. Shows attention to detail. Lose those few amps in favor of this one, if you know the builder personally that is a major plus when it comes time to play through it...Can't go wrong with a D-clone done right.

• 2 weeks later...

How much again , 4,000 American

When I spoke to Cliff he hadn't sorted out a price (it's a very new amp), but it would be in the region of £2500, which currently is about $3700. Looking at other UK boutique amp makers (Cornell, Lazy J etc.), a couple of grand is a typical price for a high end amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Cliff has emailed me with the price, and with the options we're looking at around £2700. I need to do some serious thinking...

In the meantime here's a video of the Drive King in action from the 633 FB page. (for some reason the special BBCode doesn't work)

https://www.facebook.com/633eng/videos/1676498272634742/

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I visited Cliff and gave the Drive King a more extensive work out. I now have one on order, with the variable headroom, switchable FX loop, reverb and the footswitch with the 9V power supply. I'm going with a black tolex cab (to match my existing speaker cab) rather than hardwood. It should be ready in April/May.

A couple of weeks ago I visited Cliff and gave the Drive King a more extensive work out. I now have one on order, with the variable headroom, switchable FX loop, reverb and the footswitch with the 9V power supply. I'm going with a black tolex cab (to match my existing speaker cab) rather than hardwood. It should be ready in April/May.

Can't wait to see your post delivery post!

Can't wait to see your post delivery post!

Neither can I... :D

There's not much on the web about the Drive King yet - I've already posted the one video there is - so here's a video of some 633 amps in action. Cliff is on the left with the cap and the Tele...

• 2 months later...

The amp will be ready this Wednesday. I'll be going to Cliff's place with my speaker cab and a guitar or two for any final adjustments to be made to get it just to my taste. He's already given it a gig test (in a different cabinet) and by all accounts it's sounding great...

Archived