Heritage Owners Club

2008 Millennium DC

tulk1

I was torn between the Vox AC15 and the Blues Jr. NOS.  I went with the Jr. because of the mods available but more importantly the weight.  For my needs a 5 watt amp would really be all I need. 

Yeah, that AC15 is still sorta heavy for a 15watt amp. But I believe the box is supposed to add some punch to the amp as a whole. I took my BJr to rehearsal and they asked that I take it home and bring the Vox back.  8). For me <-- for me the BJr is a good home jammer. But it just doesn't have the overall fill-a-room effect that is needed as a solo guitarist. It's good tone, but not full enough, I guess is what I'm getting at. Side by side the AC15 is fuller and richer in harmonics than my stock BJ. Ron, want to do the mods to my BJr? I'll ship you the chasis.  ;D

John,

For gigging I've gone the lower wattage, too. My Fav at the moment is an AC15CC1 with a Weber Blue Dog. Wonderful amp. My other gigging amp is the Vox AC30CC1. It's border line too heavy. But the tone is great for country.

The Mesa is switchable 100/50W. The newer versions, the ones they call "Classic" are 10/50/100, I believe. I run mine on the 50W side.

I didn't know you had the RI Tweed. How is that bad boy? I was very close to pulling the card on the RI Twin. But even that amp is borderline too heavy any more. How about a review of the Headstrong?

I am going to post a separate "User Review" tone report on all my amps. It will be fun for me and maybe somebody will get something out of it as well. Look for it sometime this week.

Ron, want to do the mods to my BJr? I'll ship you the chasis.  ;D

Send it to Wingnut.  ;D 

I changed the tubes in mine and now the socket doesn't hold the pins very tight.  I am going to have to go back in, tighten the sockets and install a couple of long no. 4 screws to hold the bracket more securely as the springs don't have enough guts to hold the tubes tightly.  I dread opening that thing back up.  The circuit board and ribbon wiring is crap in the Jr. 

Before I moded the amp it was a little light sounding but after the mods it has a lot better deep end.  It sounds like a larger amp. 

Send it to Wingnut.   ;D 

Before I moded the amp it was a little light sounding but after the mods it has a lot better deep end.  It sounds like a larger amp. 

We have been discussing it. :thumbsup:  And yeah, one thing it needs is a bigger sound. Could be cool!

This little circuit does wonders for any amp.  http://www.buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html  Before I went with the Jr. I played through a buddy's Ampeg Jet.  It's supposed to be a Vox AC 15 knock off.  I wasn't too impressed until I hooked a mid-boost up to it.  I found the Tri-boost, built it and love it.  You can keep the amp clean and use this box to sweeten up the tone.  It gives the tone enough extra bite to keep me from using a distortion box and the feedback is righteous.  It would really make the Millie howl.  It might just make it explode. 

The 3 channels are nice and one channel has 3 different settings.  I like to set it to where I can press down on a sweet note, shake it and get almost instant feedback. 

Clean Boosts are good toys. I use the Ascend by Heavy Electronics. Since I run my amps just below breakover the Ascend puts it just the other side. Great for nearly clean country runs. I don't really like squeaky clean, anyway.

I've thought about trying one of the BYOCs. Specifically the Lazy Sprocket. It's a clone of the Boss Slow Gear. I really miss that pedal.

Here's a pic of the Ascend.

width=578 height=480http://heavyelectronics.com/Ascend.jpg[/img]

Great looking guitar. No F holes isnt something Id considered before. Love that colour/finish. Hmmm there ya go, a new line of research and gas for me.

BTW 10watts on the Mesa LSC is awesome. I mean it. Handy feature and toneful to boot. Im searching out a seperate speaker box with a low watt speaker to go with this mode of operation just for home use and quiet jams. 50w in tweed mode with the tube rec suits me for gigs.

Took me a long time to realise I liked the feel of tube rec amps. Never made the connection somehow. Doh :rolleyes:

This little circuit does wonders for any amp.  http://www.buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html  Before I went with the Jr. I played through a buddy's Ampeg Jet.  It's supposed to be a Vox AC 15 knock off.  I wasn't too impressed until I hooked a mid-boost up to it.  I found the Tri-boost, built it and love it.  You can keep the amp clean and use this box to sweeten up the tone.  It gives the tone enough extra bite to keep me from using a distortion box and the feedback is righteous.  It would really make the Millie howl.  It might just make it explode.   

The 3 channels are nice and one channel has 3 different settings.  I like to set it to where I can press down on a sweet note, shake it and get almost instant feedback. 

I've built a lot of the BYOC stuff and I agree with the Bird, the Tri-Boost is a great pedal.  In fact all of their pedals are top notch.  I got an email this weekend that they are having their buy two get one free sale starting today and ending the end of this month.  They also give first time purchasers a free confidence booster kit so that they can practice their soldering skills before they start on the paid for kit.  If you've ever wanted to try and build something, this is a great way to start.

http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com has BYOC ready built for an extra few $$s.

Great looking guitar. No F holes isnt something Id considered before. Love that colour/finish. Hmmm there ya go, a new line of research and gas for me.

BTW 10watts on the Mesa LSC is awesome. I mean it. Handy feature and toneful to boot. Im searching out a seperate speaker box with a low watt speaker to go with this mode of operation just for home use and quiet jams. 50w in tweed mode with the tube rec suits me for gigs.

Took me a long time to realise I liked the feel of tube rec amps. Never made the connection somehow. Doh :rolleyes:

Thanks Tully. It's not only a looker but a player, too. The no F-holes does give it a different vibe. Still feels great hanging on the strap, sounds great out of the LS. I use the 50w Tweed mode, too. My favorite setting at the moment.

Clean Boosts are good toys.

Must agree!  Don't know how this works electronically, but stumbled into an arrangement this weekend.  You all know how we're always looking for that elusive Holy Grail Tone?  Wife had gone to the grocery, the only time I get to spool the toys up to the point things actually begin to breathe.  Big Deal gig that night at one of the best venues in the area, so I was looking for Tone from my bigger venue rig.  Daisy chained everything, then started to eliminate pieces.  Always advocated the Less Is More approach, but...  I have a S. Duncan Pickup Boost to use at jams, with somebody else's underpowered amp, or my 10W Epiphone, when required.  The Duncan Boost yields 6 - 24 dB's of clean boost only.  Always used that alone, in those situations; why would I need it with the 40W Vibrolux?  So I wound up with the guitar into the Pickup Boost (which Duncan suggests strongly shold be the first link in the chain), then into my "de-tuned" Tube Screamer, an arrangement I'd have thought redundant.  Did a little knob twiddling, with the Boost set to give me about +10 dB and a bit more from the Screamer, with just a touch of hair.  Tele, through that, plus a bit of analog delay, into the Vibrolux on 3 with the 4x10 Marshall cab....  That's right!  That's right!  Mighty Big Sound!!!        8) 

Yea, I'm finding a true "clean boost" only pedal is a necessity for me.

I use the clean boost on the T-Rex Muller (the clean boost is not able to be altered with eq)

or

RC Booster (clean boost plus can sweep the eq or even add a tiny tiny bit of gain to fatten the tone up)

moller.jpg

rc_new.jpg

Archived