Heritage Owners Club

Should Heritage re design their web site...

cosmikdebriis

Should Heritage re design their web site...  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes... Completely
    • Yes... Update it
    • No... Leave it alone
    • Don't Care !!!

Okay... Following on from my rant on the new models thread about the Heritage web site...

Here's (another) chance to vote and make your feelings known on the subject.

What would you like to see on the web site?

Complete re design? Just an update?

Flash animations? Sound clips? Links to other sites? Plain text and a few pictures?

Perhaps it should just be left alone. What business is it of ours anyway?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont hold your breath.....times are tough in the USA...the last thing they are gonna spend $$$ on is a website.  I personally think they should take somebody up on thrie offer to do a wesite in trade for a guitar.....i know they have been approached by people offering to do it.

Can we not go there, again? Ren has said, and we've quoted ad infinitum, that he gets multiple "offers" a week to redesign that site for a free guitar. And they refuse every time. The site is not that important to them.

Can we not go there, again? Ren has said, and we've quoted ad infinitum, that he gets multiple "offers" a week to redesign that site for a free guitar. And they refuse every time. The site is not that important to them.

Second!

My bad! I will never speak of this again :angel:

Perhaps some of the newer members, of which there are quite a few, would appreciate a chance to contribute ???

The forum would probably die on its feet if it never repeated anything that has already been discussed.

Constructive criticism is welcome.  :wink:

You mention the site is not that important to them but if it's important enough for them to post new pictures then I'd argue they ought to do it properly?

Here goes from an old member.

They are getting orders.

They are somewhat keeping on schedule.

They had a $100,000 PLEK machine with handwritten instructions on how to use written on pieces of masking tape stuck to the wall.

Yes, they could careless about a web site. First I thought they were nuts too, but you to face it Heritages sticks to there guns and damn if anyone will make them change.

Buy the way, rumor is that they lost the piec of tape stating which button to push to turn on the PLEK machine, so to them it's broke.

They had a $100,000 PLEK machine with handwritten instructions on how to use written on pieces of masking tape stuck to the wall.

Buy the way, rumor is that they lost the piec of tape stating which button to push to turn on the PLEK machine, so to them it's broke.

Yep!  That's my boys!  And you ought to see the Super they put together for me!

Cosmik I'm sure you and I are on the same wavlength as far as sense of humour is concerned, however I feel I must speak my mind openly about this one.

I would sooner breathe air tinged with the perfume of recycled baby farts than debate this particular issue again.

Thanks.

;D

( I'm a bit sarcastic today by the way )

Since they don't care, they are almost certainly unaware of what such a piss poor site does to their reputation.  They have a new partner who is supposed to be helping improve the business side of things so the original can focus on what they do best.  The fact that such a simple, and cheap, issue has not been addressed is troubling.

The fact is that the site will be many peoples' first impression of Heritage and that site does too much to ensure it will more likely be a poor one. 

They had a $100,000 PLEK machine with handwritten instructions on how to use written on pieces of masking tape stuck to the wall . . .  rumor is that they lost the piece of tape stating which button to push to turn on the PLEK machine, so to them it's broke.

+1  Now THAT is Michigan humor!!

:o  ... I assume you've tried that?

It's best to use a basketball pump.  Just be careful not to pop the fish if it's swollen.

Heritages website doesnt bother me.

I can find most information I need on there. Anything else would just be more advertising and filler. Theres a difference between information and advertising. I switch off to anything past information.

Its a website. I cant judge a person or a company by their web site.

Ive seen some pretty slick websites for some really dodgy products.

Im often frustrated by websites with slick graphics but no real information.

I can find out more about a product and maybe the company in 1/2 an hr of trying the product than a week of research on the net.

Goods good and bads bad.

I prefer making phone calls and speaking to people. All I really need is a telephone directory or a at least a few email contacts.

I will probably continue my life this way regardless of technology. :)

I use valve amps and play guitars designed in the 50's. What do I need technology for? ;D

BOTTOM LINE:

We all know the site sucks.

We all know it makes Heritage look like a "rip off copy cat company of Gibson"

But with 100% sincerity, they don't care what other people think if they are still having a stead number of orders from all over the world.

AND BOTTOM LINE:

They are right and this is true. Anyone that has visited the plant will see 30 guitars marked for Asia, 30 guitars marked for Europe, 20 guitars marked for Jay Wolfe.

We don't understand it because we think of the normal business model- to expand and grow. Heritage owners don't care about growth. I don't think any are concerned about passing down a company to there children (there children are adults and have jobs).

I hope it doesn't happen and it could in 2 year or 5 years or 10 years. But all the Heritage owners might say "we are 75 yrs old now and it is time to stop making guitars". The factory would close it's doors forever the next day and all owners would be content with a 60 year career (not a 25 year business owner).

One problem with the "will build site for free guitar" thing is that a web site is not a one-time thing--it takes continual maintenance.  A lot of this speaks to the relative lack of marketing personnel at Heritage in general.  Those are the people that would be updating the site normally, not the owners/builders.

Sorry if I offended some of you with my attempt at humor.  I really don't care about the site, just havin some fun with the thread.  I am very happy with the way they handle their company and I will definitely buy more of them in the future. ;D  Just so you know.  I'm a kidder. That's what I do. :)  Rock on my brothers and sisters!!!! >:D :-* :wink:

Some interesting comments. And I've added a category to the poll for "Don't Care". Just in case those of you who don't care, care enough to vote ;D

There have been many comments arguing that they don't care about the web site. As such... Then why bother to have one. ???

As someone else pointed out. The web site will be many peoples introduction to Heritage. It's certainly not the best introduction and they may well be better off without it.

The web site can make the company look cheap/incompetent. Surely this can affect the way people see the guitars. Maybe not people who already own them but perhaps perspective customers who, having seen one in a guitar store, take a look at the web site, think, "they look disorganised" then go buy a Gibbon instead?

I believe someone else mentioned the order books are full so why should they bother. I find that the weirdest argument of them all :rolleyes:

Regards fish... I was shown this, tried it myself and it does (sometimes) work. If you see a fish lying apparently dead on the surface. Grab it by its tail and drag it backwards through the water and you may well revive it.

The reason. Sometimes in low oxygenated water the fish can't get enough oxygen in their gills and "faint". Dragging one backwards increases the flow of water across the gills giving more oxygen and can revive them. (I'm not sure a balloon pump will have entirely the same effect) ;D

The way I found this out was very odd but also poignant. A good friend of mine had cancer and was in a hospice, basically waiting to die. I visited him and we were sat outside chatting. He noticed a goldfish lying on top of the water in the hospital pond. He showed me the trick to revive it. I remember thinking how odd it was that despite his terminal illness he bothered to revive a fish. Don't suppose I'll ever forget that.

Sorry for the downer.

Some interesting comments. And I've added a category to the poll for "Don't Care". Just in case those of you who don't care, care enough to vote ;D

There have been many comments arguing that they don't care about the web site. As such... Then why bother to have one. ???

As someone else pointed out. The web site will be many peoples introduction to Heritage. It's certainly not the best introduction and they may well be better off without it.

The web site can make the company look cheap/incompetent. Surely this can affect the way people see the guitars. Maybe not people who already own them but perhaps perspective customers who, having seen one in a guitar store, take a look at the web site, think, "they look disorganised" then go buy a Gibbon instead?

I believe someone else mentioned the order books are full so why should they bother. I find that the weirdest argument of them all :rolleyes:

Regards fish... I was shown this, tried it myself and it does (sometimes) work. If you see a fish lying apparently dead on the surface. Grab it by its tail and drag it backwards through the water and you may well revive it.

The reason. Sometimes in low oxygenated water the fish can't get enough oxygen in their gills and "faint". Dragging one backwards increases the flow of water across the gills giving more oxygen and can revive them. (I'm not sure a balloon pump will have entirely the same effect) ;D

The way I found this out was very odd but also poignant. A good friend of mine had cancer and was in a hospice, basically waiting to die. I visited him and we were sat outside chatting. He noticed a goldfish lying on top of the water in the hospital pond. He showed me the trick to revive it. I remember thinking how odd it was that despite his terminal illness he bothered to revive a fish. Don't suppose I'll ever forget that.

Sorry for the downer.

Sorry Cosmic it's not the humor, it's not the European thing, sometimes (and I don't mean this to insult you) it's sometimes you don't want to accept the reality.

IF (and that is a big if) they orders are coming in steady and then why can't you accept that Heritage has a "it's not broke, let's not fix it" attitude about their business plans.

As a salesman for nearly 20years, sometimes you have a product where all you want is 7% marketshare and to get to 10% would be too expensive with marketing & web site expenses. So if you are reaching your company goals (this example Heritage say 7% humbucker guitar market share) and it cuts into your profit margin to spend the extra money for marketing to get to 9-10% market share, I DON'T THINK IT IS A WEIRD (actually it is basic business sense) TO DO NOTHING AND NOT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK, IF YOU ARE REACHING/ATTAINING YOUR BUSINESS GAOLS!! :rolleyes:

BTW, How old are you and what do you do for a living. Just curious.

Thanks,

John

BTW, How old are you and what do you do for a living. Just curious.

I'm 46 (I'd guess about average age here).

I currently have my own business in which I supply crew to the entertainment trade setting up concerts etc. I also work as a freelance "rigger" in the same industry.

In my time though I have been manager of a shop (selling motorcycles and cycles). Had my own shop, (selling video games). Bought and sold guitars on eBay (I used to make a living at it though would never have been rich). And.... Although I probably didn't ought to admit it. Been a used car dealer !!! Though I was a bit too honest for that trade ;D I also have built my own web site for guitar sales and general information on Greco guitars (from Japan).

So I have a fair bit of experience in marketing though it's never been my primary business and a limited experience in web design.

I guess we're going to have to differ on the importance of the web page.

Interestingly though, despite only a few people having posted comments, as it were, "on my side" the votes cast so far show a very different story with over 80% going for a complete re design.

It's not, for me at least, really a question of accepting reality. I'm not suggesting anything we say or do here will actually make a difference. The idea was just to debate the subject.

To be perfectly honest I was hoping to get more of the newer members involved and, so far, I have to admit, I appear to have failed. Maybe the "confrontational" elements in this debate have been a little off putting? I'd hope not. Some people do seem to be voting but not posting. Perhaps they just feel it's all been said before or perhaps they just "don't want to get involved" in our (at times) rather heated debate.

One thing I did do, by way of research was check out Wolfe Guitars web site. Made me wonder if perhaps they should come to a deal with them and get them to organise/incorporate it?

One thing I did do, by way of research was check out Wolfe Guitars web site. Made me wonder if perhaps they should come to a deal with them and get them to organise/incorporate it?

I've always thought of Wolfe Guitars as the shop window of Heritage guitars. The guitar photos are much better than the company website, and he usually stocks leftys, my primary interest ( although I do frequently oogle the righties there).

...and we also now have Jerrys site for our lefty fix.

Archived