Heritage Owners Club

Should Heritage re design their web site...

cosmikdebriis

Should Heritage re design their web site...  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes... Completely
    • Yes... Update it
    • No... Leave it alone
    • Don't Care !!!

A lot of the discussion has centered on the assumption that Heritage has the work (guitar building) that they can keep up with and would not want any more. So no reason to change anything (like the website) because it would attract more business. They are only working 4 day weeks at the moment. I did not ask why, but I would not be surprised it is because they don't want to completely catch up with existing orders. I know they have been doing promotions to the dealers lately to get more orders.

From a factory/production stand point I totally understand WHY they are working 4 days a week. I've been chipping away at my boss to do this during our slow season. It saves money to work 4 10 hour days as opposed to 5 8 hour days because of production costs, IE having our warehouse open, heated, even the electricity use goes down dramatically in that 1 day since you're only adding an extra 2 hours to a single day.

Not a bad sign just a sign of not much growth and in this economy that's not exactly a bad thing. Remaining stable with production is more important than getting caught up, especially with 20 employees milling around with nothing to do.

At least I HOPE this is the motivation behind this.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Heritage took the time to design and launch their website back in the late 80's or early 90's.(?)  Whenever, it was a long time ago!

Obviously they realised the value of having internet visibility as a fledgling guitar company.

Since then, virtually all businesses, large or tiny, whether brick and mortar or internet only, have sites...arguably most are better than the static Heritage site that still has Ren's original still photos.

It's 2009.  Time for a new web design is way past due in my humble opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking as a former web designer, a good website is a necessity for businesses in today's world, not a luxury. Some folks seem to be in denial about this, but ugly/poorly designed sites will definitely cost you business. I personally find the Heritage guitars site to be disgusting looking and hard to navigate - it makes me think that they are sloppy business people who don't care about their customers.

it makes me think that they are sloppy business people who don't care about their customers.

well, i can tell you first hand that they do care about their customers.  i think that their "old school" ways/priorities lean them twards working on guitars VS working on their website.

i am not saying they dont need a new website, but look at the $1000s of dollars G spends on thier website....and then the junk they ship out the door....makes you wonder, huh?

Speaking as a former web designer, a good website is a necessity for businesses in today's world, not a luxury. Some folks seem to be in denial about this, but ugly/poorly designed sites will definitely cost you business. I personally find the Heritage guitars site to be disgusting looking and hard to navigate - it makes me think that they are sloppy business people who don't care about their customers.

You couldn't be farther from the mark. I know plenty of successful companies in the guitar industry that simply run off of word of mouth and are doing fine, with no internet presence of their own. They can barely keep up with their work as it is.

Nice first post. Will this be your only one? :thumbsup:

The poll results pretty much say it all. I was completely underwhelmed by the Heritage website when researching 335 alternatives. If I hadn't stumbled across this forum, my research into Heritage guitars probably would've ended just short of that oh so cool 'cosmic' intro page.  :wink:

I am really glad this forum exists as the enthusiasm displayed here made me realize that there was more to these guitars than I originally thought. Once I got a peek at the gallery pics I was really hooked! The pics on the Heritage site really don't do these guitars justice.

Please don't take this personally as I'm just being honest. If they don't need a slicker web presence, good on them but I really don't see the harm in it.

Do they need a new web?  I don't see what help it will lend.

I probably would have ended my quest for Heritages too had it not been for this forum.  To me, the model numbers have some but little to do with the styles.  111518 Shed tremendous light for me with his post:

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,3702.0.html

For Heritage to come out and compare models with another brand is asking for litigation.  They do a good job of posting specifications and given the variation associated with hand-made manufacturing, they probably are better off presenting themselves with "general" pictures of their work.

Because G's web is different than Heritage's it can be tough to seek out a common thread between models.  However, with the efforts of those on this forum, I'm learning the similarities between Heritage models and other mass-produced models.  Even better, I'm growing a fascination for their unique models.

One thing to remember is that these gentlemen were instrumental in developing new models way back in the day.  And were granted the opportunity to put their knowledge toward improving the guitar.  I think they have done a tremendous job providing guitars that are not copies of other brands but improvements on the theme.

It ain't easy for somebody looking for an ES-175 to find a Heritage knock-off.  What I've discovered is that when Heritage produces a similar model, it has strong improvements.  I have relied heavily on these discoveries when taking a chance on new models and continue to be pleasantly surprised to hear what they can do.

No new website can change that.

Yes and redesign the head stock too. 

Sorry, but I feel the Heritage headstock is a MAJOR improvement in looks.

Just look at PRS and the individual luthier Vince at New Orleans Guitars- both went with a cleaner smaller headstock!!

th_DGT_CherryBurst-137888-Front-Full.jpg

th_80703-2.jpg

All they would have to do is simplify the current web site and update things like the dealers database.  The product line doesn't change from year to year too much but they have 2 different product catalogs and a reference to some of the same models on another.  A simple what can I buy, what are the specs and options, where can I buy it.  

Well, that one was a bit extreme, wouldn't you say? :wink: I wonder if you could buy it cheap enough if the boys could fit a new neck on it? It's at $10+ right now. If it stayed under $100 I could ... almost ... go for it. ....

I have no problem with Heritage's website.  I find it goes quite well with the kind of

company they are.  The site provides some nice pictures of the various guitars that

have come out of the factory and of some good players that like playing them.  Like

the factory the atmosphere is old fashioned, in the same way that good violin luthiers

are old fashioned.  I think the site as it is gives you the idea that if you deal with

Heritage you'll be treated just like someone like Kenny Burrell.  They'll make your guitar

just for you, the way you want it.  I think a 'modern' website will not be able to convey

the same feeling.  It would get in the way.

And I can't imagine anyone buying a Heritage first time on account of having stumbled

onto their website.  You buy a Heritage either because you have first hand experience

with them or you're going on their reputation.  That is to do with their guitars, not how

they are advertised to the world.  You can't get the reputation from a company's website.

When I was researching my guitar purchase, and had never heard of Heritage but was

looking for a 335-type guitar, I read an awful lot of posts on the net and the Heritage

name kept popping up.  There was an aura to the name that no other guitar manufacturer

had.  The smell of history, the feeling of authenticity.  I was looking for a 50s electric blues

guitar and everything pointed to Heritage.  Not that there weren't any complaints, there

were some pretty strong ones, but overall what I picked up was that most Heritage owners

were very happy with their guitars.  And the fact that the 535s were half the price of the

Gibson equivalent didn't hurt !  Playing my 535 now I see that I followed a good path and

ended up with a fine instrument that will keep me busy and happy for years and years. 

I wouldn't worry about Heritage's website.  In a way it shows that the craftsmen are more

interested in making guitars that in software engineering.  This to me is a plus.

While that headstock does look a bit odd, functionally it couldn't be better.  Perfectly

straight strings across the nut.  Was this made by Heritage ?  As I always put function

first I could live with it.  I like the Heritage headstock.  It looks reasonably good and works

well.  Take a look at what the strings do going across the nut on a Gibson.  Not for me.

I was in Lowe's and an old German lady wanted an outside clock and thermometer. (a bit of history here, the Army brought a team of German rocket scientist to Huntsville after WW2 and I could tell that she had just beat the Russians out of harms way)  The analog units didn't have the features she wanted but the digital units did.  I spoke up and told her that the newer units were not that hard to learn.  She looked at me and said, "Yes, but I have 40 years on you." 

Ren is too busy to mess with a web site and the company doesn't really care about it.  That's where we stand and we just have to accept that. 

For time being we have to tell people, "well... the Heritage web page kinda' sux but the HOC will more than make up for it."

Speaking as a former web designer...I personally find the Heritage guitars site to be disgusting looking and hard to navigate - it makes me think that they are sloppy business people who don't care about their customers.

Speaking as a current player, I personally find the Heritage guitars to be unutterably beautiful and a joy to play - it makes me think they are magical luthiers who care deeply about making wonderful instruments. 

I think you probably need a good website if you sell budget guitars or flutes and you have 10000 moms hitting it to get the best deal on a $50 guitar for their little darlings.

They dont care about the finer points or spec's. They just want to find what theyre looking for fast, find the best price and then find the cheapest football boots.

If that was Heritages target group then, yep upgrade the website.

Im fairly computer illiterate. Ive only owned one for the last 2yrs or close to it.

I can navigate my way through the Heritage site quite easily. Its not that hard. Really. Is it. :wink: There is enough info and pics on there for me to see what they have. I dont visit the sight that often.

It took me over 6mths to get an answer from PRS as to what the difference was between a McCarty p/up and a Swamp Ash Special p/up..... I sell them????? and it took that long?????

I think the info on the Heritage sight is at least equal to if not better than that.

ESP has models that are not even listed on their site??? Figure that out. They are a company who's client base dont know a world without home computers.

It's a marketing thing and I've seen lots of crap successfully sold by the wonder boys from Madison Ave and their descendent's. When it comes to making something costing thousands of dollars that is not a necessity, (to most) it's the product we wind up with that makes satisfied customers. As Heritage needs some internet presence, all they need do is just what their add in Vintage Guitar... reference this formum.

If I'm considering a product, I'd much rather learn about it from a group of users than a paid web designer's idea of what information needs to be displayed.

But I'm not looking for a lifestyle guitar and I'm so ignorant I did not know a LP had a three piece back.

[/img]

Woody2.jpg

Woody2.jpg_thumb

Yep... Absolutely!!!

The question what I think about the Heritageguitars.com website... Hmmm... worse. It doesn't give the imagine of 'art' and 'Craftmanship'.

The website must 'inspire' people who are interested in The Heritage guitars. 'Whe' know the high quality of the guitars, but a website must impress potential buyers!

Nice first post. Will this be your only one? :thumbsup:

Wow, I post a valid criticism about one aspect of a company whose products I respect and use and people jump all over me. If this is one of those snarky, holier-than-thou message boards, maybe I won't post here anymore.

Wow, I post a valid criticism about one aspect of a company whose products I respect and use and people jump all over me. If this is one of those snarky, holier-than-thou message boards, maybe I won't post here anymore.

I think the criticism of your post was the fact you assumed that a poor web site meant the Heritage guitar company doesn't care about its products or customers. To post exactly what you said... "I personally find the Heritage guitars site to be disgusting looking and hard to navigate - it makes me think that they are sloppy business people who don't care about their customers."

I would say that is a little harsh on your end, especially for your first post, and especially since it is blatantly false!!!

Stick around and you will see the personal service only Heritage offers...

-Ability to call the factory anytime and speak to the owners & luthiers there

-the generosity they have showed (giving free pickup rings, toggle switches, ect) just by asking (not to mention giving away a free guitar at PSP1)

-They stick buy their product and will answer your questions or tell you to ship the product to them to fix

-e-mail Heritage with a question and you will get a response within 36 hrs

We know the guys at Heritage on a first name basis, from the owners to the luthiers (which are often one and the same).

The ability to communicate with the guys at the factory simply by shooting and e-mail or using the phone trumps any web site out there.

So if you would rather look at Gibby's sophisticated web site and never hear "peep" from Henry J, verses using the phone and call Heritage direct, then maybe this forum isn't for you. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions about you, but in your first post that is what you did with Heritage.

Archived