Heritage Owners Club

Duncan ‘59

tsp17

I am now a believer in these pickups as a quality PAF-ish.

I’ve previously found them a little lackluster in other guitars but in my new (to me) 2014 575 they are terrific.

When I bought this 575 I just assumed I would swap the ‘59s out for Lollars or similar but I don’t think I will,  at least for a while.  In this guitar they are warm, yet responsive and articulate- without being overly bright, etc.  A lot to like about them.

anyone else?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For many years the 59’ was about the only/best PAF-ish humbucker on the market. Once the boo-teek market exploded, they kind of got cast aside as they’re not “vintage correct”. I have them in my H535 and I don’t dislike them enough to swap them out. My first Les Paul was a 79’ Custom that I purchased in 91’. I swapped out the microphonic T-Tops for a set of 59s’. That guitar sounded awesome, and everyone else who heard & played it said the same.

Edited by davesultra

Part of the sweetness you are hearing is the wood of your H575.  Good pickups should amplify, not color the sound of a well built guitar. 

Archtops made of carved/solid wood should have a nice sounding natural acoustic sound.  That natural sound should be amplified through pickups (and obviously your amp of choice). 

I experienced that with my former Sweet 16.  Unfortunately its acoustic sound left a bit to be desired, so I went on a pickup adventure, trying out 3 different p'ups (Schaller, Gibson 57 classic and finally a custom wound Kent Armstrong 12 pole.  Each pickup improved the sound...a little!  The best was the KA 12 pole paf.  In the end I sold the guitar and later picked up two H575's.  Both of them sound amazing, no matter what pickup I put in them (Schaller, HRW, Seth Lover, etc.)  I attribute the guitar's construction as the primary reason for the basic tonal sweetness.  Each pickup contributed to the lows, highs and midrange...a little.  My 575's sound great with or without an amp!  I guess that's why I own two of the same archtop.  Heritage archtops are hand made, so each has its own personality, feel and sound. 

Bottom line, you got a good one!!  ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Part of the sweetness you are hearing is the wood of your H575.  Good pickups should amplify, not color the sound of a well built guitar. 

Archtops made of carved/solid wood should have a nice sounding natural acoustic sound.  That natural sound should be amplified through pickups (and obviously your amp of choice). 

I experienced that with my former Sweet 16.  Unfortunately its acoustic sound left a bit to be desired, so I went on a pickup adventure, trying out 3 different p'ups (Schaller, Gibson 57 classic and finally a custom wound Kent Armstrong 12 pole.  Each pickup improved the sound...a little!  The best was the KA 12 pole paf.  In the end I sold the guitar and later picked up two H575's.  Both of them sound amazing, no matter what pickup I put in them (Schaller, HRW, Seth Lover, etc.)  I attribute the guitar's construction as the primary reason for the basic tonal sweetness.  Each pickup contributed to the lows, highs and midrange...a little.  My 575's sound great with or without an amp!  I guess that's why I own two of the same archtop.  Heritage archtops are hand made, so each has its own personality, feel and sound. 

Yep- I think I did.  Thx.  This one looks great, plays very well (neck is just right for me), and sounds great.  Trifecta!

maybe the easiest player of anything I’ve got.  Really a treat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

In my H575 they sound as good as anything I’ve ever played.  

On 9/5/2023 at 6:08 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Yes, I did!

• Like 1

When I got my H150 it came with Duncan 59s, love them in that and I generally prefer lollar imperials. They are not as vintage correct as imperials but god do they match well with the 150.  I’m privileged enough to work in a higher end guitar shop so have tried many Lollar, throback and other such pickups as well as original PAF’s. All the modern boutique repros have their own character and capture one or a couple of aspects of the original. But I’ve found it is highly dependent on the guitar. I’ve heard the same set of throbacks sound great in one guitar and awful in another. Guess you just need to find the right pairing. 

• Like 2