Heritage Owners Club

McKnight Custom Core 150 Vid

fxdx99

1 hour ago, fxdx99 said:

Tim Pierce's CC was chambered also.  At 7.5 lbs, that's an interesting guitar.

Phil does a good job. I like how he had the conversation with Heritage concerning the frets. He's straight forward like that and that adds authenticity to his reviews. 

I also like the fact that he brings up the advertising aspect.   One of the things that was always a weak point for Heritage was advertising.   It's the old "lamp under a bushel" syndrome.   If people don't know know about you,  they won't seek out your products.  

It would be interesting to compare the two guitars.   I don't particularly like a really tall fret.   I feel like I press too hard, which makes things go sharp if the frets are tall.   Maybe my grip is too strong, but I've always played that way.

I liked the way the pickups sounded.   I tend to favor a neck or both pickups.   The bridge always sounds too thin for me.   That one had a bit of beef on the bottom, which sounded nice to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else considered the low fret as being a problem?

I saw a cc locally that I thought I would purchase, but then I played it and I can’t to the same conclusion. Great price but couldn’t pull the trigger because apparently I’m used to higher frets. It drove me crazy. 

It's just a personal preference, like needing to have a fat neck, or  a thin neck,  flat radius vs 7.5" radius.    I've never had an issue with any of my guitars having frets too low.   90% of the time,  I can accommodate a guitar although I don't think I've play many guitars with big jumbo frets.

I'm more bothered by the shoulders on the neck and sharpness of the edge.   Most all PRS guitars felt bad to me.  The edge of the fretboard tends to hit the inside of my thumb and was actually painful.   I have played one PRS that was better, but most of the other were bad.   The SE models were the worst.   I liked Taylor's neck better than the Martins that I've played.

Posted (edited)

I do feel compared to my Collings City Limits and my McInturff Carolina Custom that my 150 CC seemed to play slightly "stiffer" and harder to dig in.  I never considered that the frets were lower.  It just seemed like the neck was needing more relief, but it didn't.  When I watched that video and then compared the 150CC frets to the other two, the frets are very slightly lower.

NOW, let me say this should in no way be a deal breaker.  I have three Gretsch guitars and the frets are lower than my Custom Core.  Would I wish the frets were slightly higher frets on my 150CC, yes.  But I have gotten used to the 150CC frets and the neck feels great, sounds great, is resonant, and LOW weight without any silly weight releaving. 

Edited by Kuz

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

It's just a personal preference, like needing to have a fat neck, or  a thin neck,  flat radius vs 7.5" radius.    I've never had an issue with any of my guitars having frets too low.   90% of the time,  I can accommodate a guitar although I don't think I've play many guitars with big jumbo frets.

I'm more bothered by the shoulders on the neck and sharpness of the edge.   Most all PRS guitars felt bad to me.  The edge of the fretboard tends to hit the inside of my thumb and was actually painful.   I have played one PRS that was better, but most of the other were bad.   The SE models were the worst.   I liked Taylor's neck better than the Martins that I've played.

I’ve noticed the same with PRS guitars too. I do have a 594 DC Core model, and for some reason it doesn’t seem to have sharp edges like other PRS guitars I’ve played in the past. I also don’t find the frets on my CC150 to be noticeably low. But when you play as poorly as I do, I wouldn’t be able to notice the difference anyway. 🤪

Edited by davesultra

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 8:22 AM, davesultra said:

I’ve noticed the same with PRS guitars too. I do have a 594 DC Core model, and for some reason it doesn’t seem to have sharp edges like other PRS guitars I’ve played in the past. I also don’t find the frets on my CC150 to be noticeably low. But when you play as poorly as I do, I wouldn’t be able to notice the difference anyway. 🤪

That makes sense to me. They seem pretty proud of the "Pattern Vintage" neck carve on the McCarty 594's. I have a few and I like them too... which says a lot for someone like me who typically doesn't like necks as chunky as that.