Heritage Owners Club

Smokin' H-535

I recently purchased this and both the guitar and the case have a strong smoke smell. I've put the case out in the sun for the past two weeks and it has actually done a great job, but obviously I can't do that with my guitar.

Does anyone have methods they've used to address the smoky smelly guitar? Appreciate any help.

When I first got my 535 it had a pretty significant smoke smell.   I used Febreeze on the case a few times along with a fan blowing on it.    For the guitar itself,  I had air blowing in one side for days on end, which lowered it quite a bit.   I also tried spritzing some Febreeze inside the hole... I don't know that it did a lot but it masked a bit of the smell.   Eventually,  the smell diminished and now it's fine.

You can get a small USB powered fan that you could use to blow air into one F-hole.    Just let it run for as long as you want.   I had an old computer CPU fan that ran from a 12v power supply.

Some people say that an ionizer or ozone generator works, but you don't want an ozone buildup in your house.    If you could put it in a garage or something, it might be ok.

I've heard charcoal absorbs odors. I wouldn't leave it in contact with the gtr though. Maybe put the gtr in a closet with a hanging mesh bag full of charcoal?

3 hours ago, bolero said:

I've heard charcoal absorbs odors. I wouldn't leave it in contact with the gtr though. Maybe put the gtr in a closet with a hanging mesh bag full of charcoal?

Very good idea, thanks bolero.

13 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

When I first got my 535 it had a pretty significant smoke smell.   I used Febreeze on the case a few times along with a fan blowing on it.    For the guitar itself,  I had air blowing in one side for days on end, which lowered it quite a bit.   I also tried spritzing some Febreeze inside the hole... I don't know that it did a lot but it masked a bit of the smell.   Eventually,  the smell diminished and now it's fine.

You can get a small USB powered fan that you could use to blow air into one F-hole.    Just let it run for as long as you want.   I had an old computer CPU fan that ran from a 12v power supply.

Some people say that an ionizer or ozone generator works, but you don't want an ozone buildup in your house.    If you could put it in a garage or something, it might be ok.

I have used a box fan on the case and it did a good job. I like the idea of a smaller fan around the F holes. Thanks, will give that a try.

Wipe the entire guitar down with naptha. I've done this to a few smokey guitars. and it has helped immensely. Naptha is safe for nitro finishes! I'm personally not a fan of the ozone generator or fabreeze. I tried that many times and either didn't work (ozone genrator) or my guitar smelled like Fabreeze, which I find almost as unbearable as smoke!

Leaving my case out in the sun did help immensely help. but I had to leave it outside in my backyard every day for almost a month before it took hold.

The little fan trick sounds like it would work for hollow body! And I also thought that was the charcoal sounded like a good idea!  Good luck!

The problem is that the smoke gets embedded in the bare wood inside with a semi or hollow body.  It becomes a case of "dilution is the solution".    Constant airflow gradually draws out the smoke.  Unfortunately, it takes time for that to happen.  

For an H-150 style,  wiping it down with naphtha would do the trick since only the lacquer and fretboard get exposed.    It should remove the majority of the chemicals from the smoke.

18 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Wipe the entire guitar down with naptha. I've done this to a few smokey guitars. and it has helped immensely. Naptha is safe for nitro finishes! I'm personally not a fan of the ozone generator or fabreeze. I tried that many times and either didn't work (ozone genrator) or my guitar smelled like Fabreeze, which I find almost as unbearable as smoke!

Leaving my case out in the sun did help immensely help. but I had to leave it outside in my backyard every day for almost a month before it took hold.

The little fan trick sounds like it would work for hollow body! And I also thought that was the charcoal sounded like a good idea!  Good luck!

When you used the naptha did you dilute it or did you use it straight? Was it VM&P naptha? Thanks so much for the reply.

Don't dilute the naphtha with anything.     Nitrocellulose resins are totally insoluble in VM&P naphtha.   The grades that are used by Heritage are dissolved in acetone and I think they might use a touch of alcohol.  

You don't want to soak the finish,  but a dampened rag should be sufficient.  It will evaporate quickly.  Make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.   Stay away from water heaters and furnaces.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:41 PM, TalismanRich said:

Don't dilute the naphtha with anything.     Nitrocellulose resins are totally insoluble in VM&P naphtha.   The grades that are used by Heritage are dissolved in acetone and I think they might use a touch of alcohol.  

You don't want to soak the finish,  but a dampened rag should be sufficient.  It will evaporate quickly.  Make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.   Stay away from water heaters and furnaces.

Yes stay away from flames!

Edited by rockabilly69

On 4/25/2024 at 7:57 PM, LonelyLefty said:

When you used the naptha did you dilute it or did you use it straight? Was it VM&P naptha? Thanks so much for the reply.

I use plain Zippo lighter fluid, non-diluted, and it works great! My guitar not only smelled of smoke, but of of dank basement. And now it smells fine (like old nitro)!

This is the guitar I'm referring to...

FlameyL5s.jpg.b0e7124c746a6842654c49378cd18b14.jpg

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 10:41 PM, TalismanRich said:

Thank you, will do.

16 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I use plain Zippo lighter fluid, non-diluted, and it works great! My guitar not only smelled of smoke, but of of dank basement. And now it smells fine (like old nitro)!

This is the guitar I'm referring to...

FlameyL5s.jpg.b0e7124c746a6842654c49378cd18b14.jpg

Thank you so much. Really appreciating every ones inputs.

FWIW,  VMP Naphtha and lighter fluid are very close in composition, with lighter fluid evaporating a bit faster.  That makes it easier for the spark to ignite.  I think most standard lighter fluid is about 50-75% naphtha to start with.  The guys at my plant used to fill their Zippos with VM&P and it worked fine.

Ask a car detailer about ozone treatment. They usually offer it as a service to get smells out of cars. 

Wipe the guitar down with pure naphtha first several times with clean cloth and clean naphtha each time. Then ozone it. 

Ammonia based cleaners like Glass Plus really cut through tobacco goo, but aren’t safe for many guitar finishes. But ok on plastics and plated metals. 

A semi-hollow will be hard to clean the inside, hence ozone treatment is the best option. 

The case will be more difficult to deodorize. All the soft materials absorb odors. Fairly easy to replace though. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:07 AM, bolero said:

Home Depot sells small bags of activated charcoal. Leave a few of the bags in the case. The bags won't harm the guitar. Baking soda also absorbs odors. Sprinkle baking soda in the case and let it sit for a few days. Vacuum and repeat. As for the guitar, let it sit out in the open on a stand or hang on the wall. The smell will clear up in a few weeks. I one bought a Millennium with a bad smoke problem. These are the tactics I used. 

Edited by PunkKitty
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PunkKitty said:

Home Depot sells small bags of activated charcoal. Leave a few of the bags in the case. The bags won't harm the guitar. Baking soda also absorbs odors. Sprinkle baking soda in the case and let it sit for a few days. Vacuum and repeat. As for the guitar, let it sit out in the open on a stand or hang on the wall. The smell will clear up in a few weeks. I one bought a Millennium with a bad smoke problem. These are the tactics I used. 

PK’s solution worked for me too, over time.  I also replaced  the case.  Made a big difference.  Otherwise the case is just “reinfecting” the guitar.  

So- new case, fresh air, multiple surface cleanings (with nitro safe cleaner and appropriate fretboard cleaner of course) and bags of activited charcoal in the case when storing the guitar… Time heals with these steps. 

2 hours ago, tsp17 said:

PK’s solution worked for me too, over time.  I also replaced  the case.  Made a big difference.  Otherwise the case is just “reinfecting” the guitar.  

So- new case, fresh air, multiple surface cleanings (with nitro safe cleaner and appropriate fretboard cleaner of course) and bags of activited charcoal in the case when storing the guitar… Time heals with these steps. 

I didn't have to replace the case.

5 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

Hoping to not have to as well. I like the older style of case and this one is great condition minus the smell of course. Being in the sun has aleviated the smell from the outside of the case now working on the interior.

7 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

2 hours ago, LonelyLefty said:

Hoping to not have to as well. I like the older style of case and this one is great condition minus the smell of course. Being in the sun has aleviated the smell from the outside of the case now working on the interior.

that would be excellent.  Nice to have that original case.  On mine- I had to do it.  There was no hope for the case and no matter what I did to the guitar it wouldn’t matter if I was just putting it back into the  ‘ashtray’.  It was bad.