Heritage Owners Club

Carvin SH550 or Heritage 535

plectrum

Do you expect an unbiased response from this forum.

I'll give you my honest .02, NOT EVEN CLOSE for vintage vibe, tone, looks, and Mojo.... the freakin' 535.

Proof source eye candy...

th_Precious.jpg

I'm sticking with the Heritage H535/555 'one-two-punch' for the best hand made bang for buck, best playing/sounding gitfiddle between the two. 

I'll check out the Carvin next chance I get, but I really don't think I'll be letting these soulful babies go any time soon.

H-535

width=600 height=399http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6246/heritageh535xu0.jpg[/img]

H-555

width=320 height=480http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6738/heritageh55507at9.jpg[/img]

Which would you rather own and why?

Weird question to post on a Heritage forum. What's the point?

Millie NFH

width=150 height=113 alt=millie2008-bod2http://www.heritageownersclub.com/gallery2/d/1166-2/millie2008-bod2.jpg[/img] <----Click to enlarge

H535

width=360 height=480http://eriador1.com/h535/535-bod-case-close2.jpg[/img]

Being pretty makes them just that much more attractive. Both of these guitars are stunning players.

Oh I am sorry

I  thought this forum was read by experienced musicians with a  keen ear for sound in addition to an all around exposure to various levels of  guitar quality and craftsmanship in which they could provide objective insight into the instruments in question. 

Oh I am sorry

I  thought this forum was read by experienced musicians with a  keen ear for sound in addition to an all around exposure to various levels of  guitar quality and craftsmanship in which they could provide objective insight into the instruments in question. 

You are correct in your statement, but we have more experience with Heritage guitars. With that said, I stick behind my original statement that the Heritage 535 is vastly superior. Individual differences between guitars exist, but the 535 is head & shoulders superior.

Now you may get a difference response on the Carvin forum....

I don't think anyone was trying to be flippant with you, it's just going to be hard to get an unbiased answer from a forum where we have already made our choice. The same thing would happen at the PRS, Hammer, or Gibson forum.

Oh I am sorry

I've never played a Carvin. Don't see too many of them for sale around here.  :undecided:

OK

Heritage guitars are rare in this part of the country and I don't want to waste money. 

Have any of you compared a modern Heritage with a classic or VOS Gibson ES 335?  Does the Heritage guitar truly capture the sound of the authentic classic Gibsons of yesteryear?

PS  Michigan is my home state so I am leaning towards Heritage.  ;D

OK

Heritage guitars are rare in this part of the country and I don't want to waste money. 

Have any of you compared a modern Heritage with a classic or VOS Gibson ES 335?  Does the Heritage guitar truly capture the sound of the authentic classic Gibsons of yesteryear?

i used to own a CS 335 and i also have owned a 555 w/ HRWs....i would take the 555 any day over a gibby

I agree that the Carvin SH550 is more like the Millennium than like a 535, due to the smaller body.  That's going to have a huge effect on the sound--tighter low end, but not quite as warm or resonant for clean sounds.  I've seen an SH550 but didn't get a chance to play it--I've read nothing but good reviews.  I can't compare a 535/555 to a vintage Gibbon ES, but it blows away the current ones, IMHO.

It has been said that Heritage guitars ARE the classic Gibsons of yesteryear. The same employees--that's right, the SAME employees that made those classic Gibsons are now making Heritage guitars--still by hand! Why pay mega $$ for a VOS Gibson, which is trying to capture the magic of the Kalamazoo era (though they're made in Nashville), when you can get the real thing made in Kalamazoo for less?

I'm not familiar w/the Carvin - at first thought that maybe a Heritage 550 would be the comparable guitar, but see that it's a smaller body so maybe it's the Millie that's similar.  I know what you mean, plec, on trying to find info on a guitar that you're interested in sight unseen/unplayed.  Tough call and opinions will vary person to person.  Of the Heritages and gibbys I've played, the 535 is my favorite model/guitar as it's versatile, warm, comfortable, with fine fit/finish.  I'm from Mich, too, and like the story of Heritage and as TSteel put it - it's the some of the same folks, same building, same equipment as the 50/60s gibbys. 

Carvin probably makes a good instrument - the only one I've seen/played is a solid body w/active EMGs and it was a nice guitar with a nice sound (not my cup 'o tea, but nice all the same).  Guitars are guitars and they'll differ slightly from one another.  Overall, tho, I've found Heritages to be great instruments.  Specific to your question on say an early 60s 335 to a current 535, there are some differences.  The 535 is slimmer, has larger f-holes.  Tonewise, they're in similar territory - not identical, but very similar.

If no dealers near you to try one out, perhaps hunt here and the net for a used one, try it out and you won't be into a lot of money should you decide it's not for you.  With Heritage, being similar to Carvin in that options can be ordered by the purchaser, some variances can be seen model to model.  I'd suggest (just an opinion) a 'standard' 535 (rosewood fingerboard, mahogany neck) with seth lover pickups.  This may get you closest to an early 60s tone/feel.   Good luck in the search - that's part of the fun!   8)

I own carvins and heritages. both are great, american made .  i would go with a heritage tho for hollow or semi-hollow.

. Ive never played a hollow body  carvin, but regret hesitating when I had a chance to buy a lefty used a few yrs a go.

If we are talking about similar price ranges, I would think the heritage would be more likely to increase in value.

I never not consider buying an used lefty of either ilk, unless its a shredder.

From reading your correspondence on TGP it looks like you are looking for a blues/jazz machine. I dont think I've heard anyone say that a 535 hasn't excelled at both of these things. for 2500$ you will get a lot of guitar. In fact, you should be a ble to get a nice 535 for less.

I had come close to pulling the trigger on a Carvin a few times so when I received their catalogue with the SH550, it was tough but I went with a single cut 155. Four reasons...

#1 The neck. Carvin CNC without options on the contour, just the radius vs handcarved.

#2 Had two Heritage guitars already so I knew I would like the neck.

#3 Old school Mojo vs Modern production methods.

#4 The photo on G-base.  [/img]

23Millieforweb.jpg

23Millieforweb.jpg_thumb

OK

I'll give you my .02 worth. As far as authentic classic sound or vibe, my Heritage guitars KILL!  I've owned and played several G****n guitars over the years and yes, Heritage has that " AUTHENTIC VIBE."  I've also owned several Carvin's.  They are great guitars.  I sold them because I can replace those fairly easy.  I think everyone in this forum would agree with me about our guitars.  I don't think anyone was trying to offend when giving opinions on they're guit's. I truly believe these guitars have a soul of their own. :angel:  I'm so happy with mine I can't stand it.  If you do decide to get one, it won't be your last. Also, I truly believe this is the nicest forum on the web. ;D  Sorry if my response went too long.

The Carvin looks like an nice instrument.    I looked at buying a Carvin some time back when I was looking at Strat styles (Bolt T)  I've played a couple of used Carvins and the neck profile didn't feel as comfortable to me as the G&L or Heritage necks.  So now I have two Heritages (a 157 and a 535),two G&Ls and no Carvins.    Since the feel of a neck is a personal issue,  you might really like it.

The neck joint on the Carvin looks nice.    You can customize both, but I think you have to stick with the Carvin pickups for the 550.  With Heritage you can get them to put in what you want. 

That's one big disadvantage for me... I have a Heritage dealer locally, but it I want to check out a Carvin, I either have to fly to LA or find a used instrument. 

Archived