Heritage Owners Club

Heritage VS Gibson test.

DimA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently had a VOS R7 LP and a VOS 335, while both were kick ass guitars, they were alot more expensive than Heritage guitars.  I sold them both and picked up a 2007 Heritage 535 for $1300!  I pocketed some serious change.  The 535 is every bit as nice as my Gibsons were, and a lot cheaper!!

I can absolutely atest to Gibby's quality control issues having worked for two major Gibby dealers. There are good Gibsons out there... but you gotta find them. Once you find it... buy it if you are really wanting a Gibson for whatever reason you may have. When I last sold Gibson's, the Standard LP's went for about 1800. It used to kill me when I was unpacking them and putting them up on the wall and the fret edges would snag my fingers... on an 1800 guitar. Seriously. All that really told me was that they were not selling you a guitar... they were selling you their brand name. No more. If this was an isolating thing, no big deal. But it wasn't. It was almost the rule. Buzzing frets. Shoddy electronics wiring. Bridge posts coming up and out of the body. One even with a twisted neck. No joke. It finally got to the point, where I would just try and sell people the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and get them into hardware upgrades as it would just be a better guitar. I remember when Gibson bought Tobias basses. I remember thinking, "There goes Tobias." I couldn't have been closer to accurate. The wonderful Tobias basses were turned to crap by Gibson. They kinda became the evil empire of guitar.

So, when a Heritage would come into the store used, I was able to bounce that guitar right out without even breaking a sweat. I would have them play that first... then let them play ANY Gibby on the wall up to and including their $5000 customs. I knew that the (what was normally a 140 or 150) would just wipe the floor with the Gibsons. Often, the people set on buying the brand their hero played would be just so dissappointed. But... I added that the Heritage was really the guitar that your heros played and not that stamped out pushbutton guitar you came in to overpay for.

There are lots of great guitars out there and one of my favorites is the Gibson SG... BUT.... I am not willing to deal with the company for support nor am I willing to start what could be an exhaustive search for the guitar I like the look of AND it plays like a 2000 guitar.

Get a Heritage.

My only real lament with Heritage is that they don't have an SG like model. I love the sound of a good SG. Thick, tight and a bit dirty. The 137DC has a similar weight and materials make up save for the P90's. I may look into that.

I can absolutely atest to Gibby's quality control issues having worked for two major Gibby dealers. There are good Gibsons out there... but you gotta find them. Once you find it... buy it if you are really wanting a Gibson for whatever reason you may have. When I last sold Gibson's, the Standard LP's went for about 1800. It used to kill me when I was unpacking them and putting them up on the wall and the fret edges would snag my fingers... on an 1800 guitar. Seriously. All that really told me was that they were not selling you a guitar... they were selling you their brand name. No more. If this was an isolating thing, no big deal. But it wasn't. It was almost the rule. Buzzing frets. Shoddy electronics wiring. Bridge posts coming up and out of the body. One even with a twisted neck. No joke. It finally got to the point, where I would just try and sell people the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and get them into hardware upgrades as it would just be a better guitar. I remember when Gibson bought Tobias basses. I remember thinking, "There goes Tobias." I couldn't have been closer to accurate. The wonderful Tobias basses were turned to crap by Gibson. They kinda became the evil empire of guitar.

So, when a Heritage would come into the store used, I was able to bounce that guitar right out without even breaking a sweat. I would have them play that first... then let them play ANY Gibby on the wall up to and including their $5000 customs. I knew that the (what was normally a 140 or 150) would just wipe the floor with the Gibsons. Often, the people set on buying the brand their hero played would be just so dissappointed. But... I added that the Heritage was really the guitar that your heros played and not that stamped out pushbutton guitar you came in to overpay for.

There are lots of great guitars out there and one of my favorites is the Gibson SG... BUT.... I am not willing to deal with the company for support nor am I willing to start what could be an exhaustive search for the guitar I like the look of AND it plays like a 2000 guitar.

Get a Heritage.

My only real lament with Heritage is that they don't have an SG like model. I love the sound of a good SG. Thick, tight and a bit dirty. The 137DC has a similar weight and materials make up save for the P90's. I may look into that.

Well on my quest for a new axe I can say that I've run in to the same issues with Gibbys. I've tried two LPs that at least one PU didnt work. Most of them had lots of fret buzz, shitty set ups and tuning problems. All of them were over priced. I had a ES-333 that I had to take in for electronics repair twice within the first month of owning it, I later sold it because of various problems.  I think Heritage is one of the few alternatives for a good Gibby style axe unless you want to get the Asian made stuff. Some of which is pretty good from what I hear. But since this next guitar will be my main axe for a while I cant stand that thought of getting something made in China.

And yes I wish Heritage made an S-G style axe!!!!

Well on my quest for a new axe I can say that I've run in to the same issues with Gibbys. I've tried two LPs that at least one PU didnt work. Most of them had lots of fret buzz, shitty set ups and tuning problems. All of them were over priced. I had a ES-333 that I had to take in for electronics repair twice within the first month of owning it, I later sold it because of various problems.  I think Heritage is one of the few alternatives for a good Gibby style axe unless you want to get the Asian made stuff. Some of which is pretty good from what I hear. But since this next guitar will be my main axe for a while I cant stand that thought of getting something made in China.

And yes I wish Heritage made an S-G style axe!!!!

Yeah. I was out the other day checking out different guitars to pass the time. I pulled down guitars from Ibanez (ART300 which is an LP type, the AS73 which is like a 335 and the AF95 which is kinda like a Super 400), Epiphones (Sheraton, Les Paul Custom) and Gibsons (335, Les Paul Standard, SG Standard). This being so soon after playing a 1985 H140, NONE of them were worth anything to me. I didn't care how cheap they were with regards to the Ibanezes and Epiphones. The Epiphones were over all better than the Gibsons in terms if playability as the Gibbys had some buzzing no matter how I played them save for one. There was an SG Standard that was pretty nice. However, this was still a Gibson. About as much love and pride went in to this build as did the buzzing $3000 Les Paul. No thanks. I can just see the headache if I had a problem.

I was leaning towards just going Ibanez because of the affordability. After playing them, no. I would just have another cheap guitar that I am only a little happy with. That old H140 I played... that is one I could look at and say, "Yes." to everytime.

I have an Ibanez ags83 which is a semi acoustic that looks like a LP but just a tad larger. Its a greatguitar for $499. BUT.... it doesnt stand the test next to my old 70s Gibsons. Alas I'm still out looking for "That Guitar" Which I'm hoping will be a heritage H150 LW.....

Archived