Heritage Owners Club

Heritage VS Gibson test.

DimA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious?

This is a joke, right?

Maybe you should post this question on the Les Paul forum and see how many vote for Heritage?!! :rolleyes:

I think it would be very usefull test for those who want to buy american made Les Paul. Right now I doubt what to buy - either H150 or Standard (Classic).

You really need to try both guitars and decide for yourself. I played a bunch of 335's but the moment I played a 535 it was a no brainer. YMMV.

Well after hemin and hawin I'm going to get a heritage H-150 LW. I've played the Gibsons at Guitar center and have NOT been impressed. Sh*tty action, electronics that dont work and a over all cheesy-ness to there guitars. I played a few that were actually good but the price was high. I was hoping that Heritage would be a little more affordable than they are but its still a better than Gibson. At least I believe that the quality will be there with the Heritage. Its kind of a leap of faith to by a Heritage but I dont think I will be disappointed.  

Well after hemin and hawin I'm going to get a heritage H-150 LW. I've played the Gibsons at Guitar center and have NOT been impressed. Sh*tty action, electronics that dont work and a over all cheesy-ness to there guitars. I played a few that were actually good but the price was high. I was hoping that Heritage would be a little more affordable than they are but its still a better than Gibson. At least I believe that the quality will be there with the Heritage. Its kind of a leap of faith to by a Heritage but I dont think I will be disappointed.  

What would be a fair price for a handmade guitar, made by the same iconic luthiers, that used to work at Gibson?  :rolleyes:

I think DimA is asking what is for him a valid question. He has posted elsewhere on the forum that there is no Heritage dealer in his country. Also I'm guessing that English is not his first language.

Maybe we need to give him a bit of slack ?

Just my 2 cents as they say.

I think DimA is asking what is for him a valid question. He has posted elsewhere on the forum that there is no Heritage dealer in his country. Also I'm guessing that English is not his first language.

Maybe we need to give him a bit of slack ?

Just my 2 cents as they say.

If that is indeed the case then I understand his question and apologize. I did not know this.

A couple hundred less than they are now???   ???

Why only a couple hundred less, why not a thousand less. Yea that would be fair! :rolleyes:

I hope we understand that the goal in running a business is to make a profit.

I think a fair price for all Heritages would be if they gave them away for free (then somebody would b*tch that they didn't get a free hat or pack of strings).

I have said my peace on this topic here and other posts. I give up.

When I first started buying the Heritage H-150's they were about 1/3rd less than a Gbrand LP Std.  They were such a bargain it was hard to believe. Now they're around 15 to 20% less than Gbrand...still a great bargain...go out and get one today.

Why only a couple hundred less, why not a thousand less. Yea that would be fair! :rolleyes:

I hope we understand that the goal in running a business is to make a profit.

I think a fair price for all Heritages would be if they gave them away for free (then somebody would b*tch that they didn't get a free hat or pack of strings).

I have said my peace on this topic here and other posts. I give up.

Sorry, didnt mean to piss you off.  I can be a real cheap SOB... :wink:

By comparison Heritage is still a way better deal than G*bs&n.....

When I first started buying the Heritage H-150's they were about 1/3rd less than a Gbrand LP Std.  They were such a bargain it was hard to believe. Now they're around 15 to 20% less than Gbrand...still a great bargain...go out and get one today.

I recently studied a test 555 vs 355 on Harmony Central, I guess it was.

The result of the test was as follows:

The value of the 555 itself  was higher than the value of the Gibby 355, because the quality of the 555 was verified higher than the qualitiy of the 355.

BUT: if you would sell both guitars, the tester said, you will get more money for the g brand as for the Heritage.

For me it means: if you really wanna play and keep the guitar, stick with Heriatge. If you wanna trade it later, buy the G brand.

If you like a truer vintage toned guitar then get the Heritage. Really if you would a-b them right next to each other I don't think most modern Gby's can hang. I have many times compared my 150 and 535 to modern and vintage Giby's.

The Heritages just have much more "richness" to the tone. It's the wood.

plexi

I tried a lot of Gisnob's (maybe 20)and the only place I found any real joy with them was in the real expensive ones. But not enough joy to go "thats the one".

Casually one day I picked up a heritage, strummed an open G and felt what I had been looking for. Plugged it in, ran a couple of blues licks, walked out of the amp room, stuck it in the case and put my name on it.

Took 2 months of testing Gosnibs, PRS 245's and other want to be's before I found what I was looking for.

For the most part, the price was irrelevant, I was looking for a good guitar. Also, it wasn't until later I really  realised what colour it was. I was pretty much absorbed in the authentic sounds I was getting.

But everyones different and what yanks my chain might no yank someone else's.

YMMV

I had the opportunity to the play the Gibson / Mike Bloomfield  Les Paul guitar last week.  It's an amazing instrument. Plays and sounds great.  But not worth the $8 Grand price tag.  No way!!  I'd take the H150!

The '58 and '59 ES 335 Anniversary is another story and on par with the 535!...all the other production 335s are inconsistent in build quality.

SouthpawGuy,You're right - english is not even my second language.

Wolfi, I'm not a trader - I'm a guitarplayer  :)

Thanks to all of you guys for that piece of advice. I think it's going to be Heritage because of what I've read there, and because of price on LP standard in our country is $3300  ;D

I will try to find somebody who can buy and ship guitar from eBay to me. Wait for my topic there and be prepared to congratulate me with my heritage ha-ha :) 

I will try to find somebody who can buy and ship guitar from eBay to me.

That would be Brentrocks.  :)

Where do you live Dim?  Tell us a little about your country. 

I live in Minsk, Belarus. It's between Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. And Dima- it's my name , not a diminished A-dur  ;D

Privet DimA!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Dima is the affectionate diminutive form of Dmitri ~ and I don't mean to "diminish" you in any way  ;D

But please, do correct me if I'm wrong... I'm already prepared to get an earful from Brent,  Kuz, Yoslate, HFB and all the other HOC members whom I let down after promising to post pics of the H150 I bought during the 1st Parson st. Pilgrimage...

So here's my formal apology:

Sorry Guys, for all the anguish I've caused... I'm just a lazy Frenchman  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I congratulate you DimA, for a sensible choice that you will never regret. I bought my first H-127 back in 1986 in France and still play it today. Of course, last year's tour of the factory was too tempting for me to resist the urge to augment my collection from 1 to 2 H's.

I also very recently acquired a 1965 Gibson ES-335, made in K'zoo, MI ~ NO shame in that since it was hand-built by the same legendary luthiers.

This one is actually a piece of Canadian music history: it belonged to Roger Mayne, guitar player extraordinaire for The Ugly Ducklings, who passed away in 2004. May you rest in peace, Roger... wherever your soul is. Just know that your beloved G is in good hands.

I'll post pics of all these beauties shortly, that's a promise.

Thierry

PS. I'm looking for a reasonably priced H150 for a good friend of mine who had the misfortune to try mine a couple of weeks ago...

That would be Brentrocks.   :)

Where do you live Dim?  Tell us a little about your country. 

i have never shipped to that part of the world, but if you come across a good deal i will try to help you the best i can ;D

i can honestly say that i will NEVER buy another Gibson that is newer than 1983, that wasnt made in kalamazoo

Privet DimA!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Dima is the affectionate diminutive form of Dmitri ~ and I don't mean to "diminish" you in any way  ;D

But please, do correct me if I'm wrong... I'm already prepared to get an earful from Brent,  Kuz, Yoslate, HFB and all the other HOC members whom I let down after promising to post pics of the H150 I bought during the 1st Parson st. Pilgrimage...

Bonjour ,Thierry! You're right about origin of my name:)

By the way, I've found that friend of mine has an older brother who lives in States, so I'm going to be a member of HOC pretty soon :)

I live in Minsk, Belarus. It's between Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. And Dima- it's my name , not a diminished A-dur  ;D

Hi Dima from Germany,

welcome in this great forum. As you are a guitar player, I'm glad you made your decisioon for Heritage. :)

Hey, Thierry, good to hear from you.

Congratulations on your 335 acquisition.  As you say, it's really a piece of rock history, at least for us Canadians.  I remember seeing it on the 12th Fret site a while ago.  All you need now is Troiano's Telecaster and you can open your own museum. 

Believe it or not, I have a very distant and tenuous link to the Ugly Ducklings.  When I was in high school in Barrie, Ontario (population then was about 15,000, long before it became a big city), I was in a rock band for a couple of years.  We would practice in the basement of our drummer's parents' house.  Well one Sunday, the Ducks stopped by to hear us play.  This probably would have been the winter of 1966.  No, I don't know what the connection was, or why they were there.

In fact, I don't remember very much about that day at all except that we were all very nervous about playing in front of such rock royalty.  And the Ducks didn't say much, just sat on an old ratty couch down there in that dingy basement, listened politely to our set while smoking up a storm, then abruptly left.

Such was our moment of greatness.  Wasn't much, I guess, but I remember it to this day.

Lyle

Hi Lyle! Great story about you meeting the Ducks back in '66... thanks for sharing it :)

Here are a few shots of the '65 ES-335:

1 & 2) Roger Mayne/the Ugly Ducklings and his ES-335

3) picture of the beast taken today

4) Max Layton (Kyle's Grandpa) playing one of his songs (check out his website at www.maxlayton.com, free songs to listen to +CD)

RogerMayne&54Gibson2.jpg

RogerMayne&54Gibson2.jpg_thumb

RogerMayne&54Gibson.jpg

RogerMayne&54Gibson.jpg_thumb

newpics 006.jpg

newpics 006.jpg_thumb

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG_thumb

Archived