Heritage Owners Club

Hello all!!!

barrymclark

Barry Clark here and happy to be a part. Jen, my wife, and I have been proud to run the MySpace Heritage page for the past couple of years. I regret to admit that I do not own a Heritage guitar but it has always been an desire since I sold them in music stores a number of years ago. I remember when people asked about them, the only thing I could come up with was, "Imagine a Gibson... but made well. Made by the people, techniques, tools and in the facility that made Gibson famous. If you are wanting what made Gibson famous, buy a Heritage. If you just want to tell your friends that you overpaid for a lesser guitar, I will be happy to sell you a Gibson and make my paycheck larger." I am absolutely NOT kidding. Yeah, I was one of those salesmen. I had the hair down my back and a terrible attitude for anything that wasn't guitar. Age and raising children changed that. haha.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that the woman I was courting for marriage was Marvin Lamb's grandniece! She said, "Oh, you play guitar!" I said laughing, "Yeah, me and millions of others." Then, she comes back with, "My great uncle makes guitars." I said, "Cool. So did mine." He actually did until he died. Made acoustics in his shed. I wasn't being a jerk... I promise. haha. She then said, "Have you ever heard of Heritage Guitars?" I was impressed that she knew the name since she wasn't a player. This, in my mind, was a brand name that required an astute level of guitar knowledge not really found in most players...let alone NON players. I, of course, reverted back to my salesman days and went on a long rant about the high quality of the guitars and how any musician worth his salt knows what a Heritage is... and, if they don't, need to get their nose out of the Guitar World advertisements because that half naked girl or dimunitive and/or androgenous guy with the buy-one-get-one-free tattoos doesn't a make a good guitar. Then, the bombshell, "My uncle founded that company." I waited for the laugh or chuckle that she was putting me on. Nope. It was the truth. She was just shocked I had heard of them. It occurred to me that she really wasn't aware of the quality of instrument her great uncle made. I filled her in. I still do. haha. I told her how dedicated a following Heritage had and she was shocked.

Recently, I got to play number one this past Christmas and the one before on our yearly pilgrimage to Detroit where her parents live. We hope that after the baby is born in June, that we will be making a trip to K'zoo to tour the factory. I will be a kid in a candy factory.

All of this, of course, has really whetted my want for a Heritage and the saving has begun... delayed some by the impending birth of our son.

If anyone has any suggestions for the myspace page, just message me with those ideas!

Barry~ You win the prize for the best Heritage story...EVER!  You married into the family! 

I think we might have discussed your MySpace sight here on the HOC, but I can't find the thread.  Maybe you can post your linky.

All the best with the new baby.  And you can be sure we'll come up with some great names for him/her.  8)

Welcome to the Club, BarryMClark! Great story, thanks for sharing. Hope you can make it to PSPII. Good luck with the kids and impending familial expansion. 
One of the first friends on the MySpace page! There is a possibility that my visit would coincide with the PSPII. Either way, I am pumped to be going. :D

Funny thing is, when I played that old H140 mentioned above, it still plays LIKE A CHAMP! I have a few guitars and all of them were basket cases and built them up to be playable again. That is my budget. haha. When I played that 25 year old Heritage... I just said to my wife, my guitars are kinda crap next to this one. So... it might take awhile, but I will get the cash up eventually and own one of my own.

Barry~ You win the prize for the best Heritage story...EVER!  You married into the family! 

I think we might have discussed your MySpace sight here on the HOC, but I can't find the thread.  Maybe you can post your linky.

All the best with the new baby.  And you can be sure we'll come up with some great names for him/her.  8)

Link to the MySpace page in my signature. :D

Yeah, I get a kick out of that story.

I wanted to name the boy Super Eagle Clark or H150 Clark. Jen just sorta looked at me... the way she frequently has too.

Yeah. I pick up my amp, VOX AC50CP2 this weekend and I can't wait. After that, an Ergo upright and THEN... I will finally really be able to save up for a Heritage in earnest.

I am coming up with variants to children's nursery rhyme songs (like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) to record for the boy to listen to on trips when he is born. It is a lot of fun. Just got started. Looks like I am doing a Dm7-G7-Am6 progression in a swing feel. Really diggin it. :D

I am coming up with variants to children's nursery rhyme songs (like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) to record for the boy to listen to on trips when he is born. It is a lot of fun. Just got started. Looks like I am doing a Dm7-G7-Am6 progression in a swing feel. Really diggin it. :D

Sound clips or it didn't happen!

;D

I get more enjoyment out of doing 'treatments' of nursey rhymes for our two younger sons than I do in mastering yet another blues lick or two. Kudos for exposing the offspring to music!

Yeah, so far I am really having fun with it. Maybe because I am not trying so hard. I do wish it was being recorded with a Heritage so there is more family involved... but what can you do?

I also run the Ergo page for Jesse, the man who makes the electric upright basses. For anyone interested, those are TOP NOTCH basses.

Sound clips or it didn't happen!

;D

I get more enjoyment out of doing 'treatments' of nursey rhymes for our two younger sons than I do in mastering yet another blues lick or two. Kudos for exposing the offspring to music!

Hey that is a good idea...We've got a six-month old and an eight-year old at my house...and they both really dig it when I start playing guitar...Don't know why...guess they're not old enough to have developed good taste!  :undecided:

Hi Barry and welcome to the HOC.  I'm surprised that nobody has been thinking outside of the box for you and your no-Heritage dilemma.  With a baby due soon and the baby shower that comes with it you need to invite good ole Uncle Marv and tell him that the child will most certainly be a musical prodigy and for the present he should give the child a new Heritage so that a proper start with the highest quality instrument can be achieved. You will then of course have a few years to break in the instrument so it will be ready for the prodigy when lessons begin.

Barry,

I KNEW your MySpace looked familiar!

This is my favorite linky from it!

m_ba0c4598208e301e150259ebc35eed0c.gif

Can you link the HOC to your site? 8)

I sorta do. I have in the blog... but I will put something up front and prominent on there. Is there an already made banner that I could use?

That is a lot of people's favorite linky. haha.

Can this site link to the MySpace page?

Welcome to the site Barry and congrats on the new addition. Great story. I'm a newbie as well, lots of good people here. I had actually quit playing for about 20 years until the birth of my twins in 2004. Started playing acoustic again to stop them from crying then got back into playing electric again last summer. My twinkle twinkle diddy is in e maj, finger picked. My son got his 1st guitar (mini martin) for xmas when he was 3 but it looks like he is going to be a lefty, a bit of a quandry as all my guitars are righties. Anyway once again welcome.

Pete

Barry,

I KNEW your MySpace looked familiar!

This is my favorite linky from it!

m_ba0c4598208e301e150259ebc35eed0c.gif

Can you link the HOC to your site? 8)

Let me try this again. haha.

I would be happy to link HOC to the MySpace page. Does HOC have a banner or anything I can use?

...and every guy loves that link to Sammy. haha.

Welcome to the site Barry and congrats on the new addition. Great story. I'm a newbie as well, lots of good people here. I had actually quit playing for about 20 years until the birth of my twins in 2004. Started playing acoustic again to stop them from crying then got back into playing electric again last summer. My twinkle twinkle diddy is in e maj, finger picked. My son got his 1st guitar (mini martin) for xmas when he was 3 but it looks like he is going to be a lefty, a bit of a quandry as all my guitars are righties. Anyway once again welcome.

Pete

Cool deal. I rather like the idea of playing for the boy. I never really did that for my older daughters. I regret that. It was the situation I was in I guess.

Archived