Heritage Owners Club

Change Pickups on my H-140

smurph1

Hey..I am slowly coming to the realization that I really don't like the Schaller pickups on my 140..They sound nice clean but they don't have that vinatge snarl that I like on the distortion..None of the overtones that my Gbrand BFG had. My setup is very rudimentary, tube screamer into a Gibsonette or Blues Jr..Thats it pretty much..So my question is this..What type of pickup would you recommend? I have had great success with Lollar pickups..I really like their P-90's..I dig the Gibson Burstbuckers too..It will be quite a while before I will be able to afford new pickups, but any input would be appreciated..Thanks

I like Wolfetone DR.V's for pretty true low wind PAF tones. Lots of what you're lookin for are in those pickups. Killer bloom/harmonics and great grind but can clean up nicely. If your looking for more aggressive his Marshallheads rock out a bit better for modern tones IMO.

But hey, I dig Duncans 59's too. I don't think they are super accurate in the PAF dept. to the originals but man they are a GREAT rock pickup and especially come to life in a real world live band setting and used they are cheap.

Lollars are cool too, they are just "nicer" sounding

These are some of my favorites but there are others out there doing bang up work Fo sure!!

plexi

OLD H140! Nice.

I would just go with what you like. Are you sure you wanna cut up that old and likely rare Heritage? Has it already been altered from factory? Maybe get a newer H150 or something and order what you want. Just hate to see you kill the value of that guitar going forward. Not saying you intend to sell it, but as a hand me down or heirloom of some sort.

The general forum consensus is here.  Note there are roughly 1000 members, but way fewer responded.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,3978.0.html

I saw someone voted for 59's... yeah. I like those. Got them in an old Ibanez and I really like them. I wouldn't mind throwing in a set of Gibby 57's into a 150 or something.

That's a good point about not messing around with a "Vintage" guitar..I guess I was figuring it would be a simple swap..No routing needed..I would keep the original pickups though..IS there more to it that just a swap? I really don't want to do anything invasive..Routing ETC..Having an old guitar is both a blessing and a curse..The blessing is the tone and the vintage vibe, the curse is that you really can't fool around with it...But, if I can get a pickup I like put in without damaging the guitar, it's a win win..

Just completed a swap.  Put Phat Cats in two of my Heritages, so the Schallers came out.  They were OK, but nothing special.  Have an exceptional '73 LP Deluxe made over to look like a '60 cherryburst.  Had a set of '74 Dimarzio PAF's in it.  Way too hot for my taste.  Schallers went into it for a while.  It was...OK, but I really wanted a vintage PAF tone, one I thought the Dimarzios overwhelmed with their output.  Spent some time on Duncan's site, A/B-ing sound clips.  Great fun!  Decided on Seth Lovers.  Kuz happened to be selling a pair, great price.  I got them; they're in.  Gorgeous tone in that Paul!  Clear without harsh; transparent, yet with character...without any characteristic predominating; the neck p'up just on the warm side with a nice tapered breakup as you get into it; the bridge is "bridge," stopping just short of twang, not at all brittle; and middle position gives up that balanced Bloomfield honk, a slightly rounded, authoritative bite that sounds great for chunking little chords for rhythm and gives that unmistakable LP tone for lines.  "Carmelita Skiffle" lives!  An excellent pickup!    8)

Thanks..It's funny for a while I thought my amp or tube screamer was the problem but then I thought, I've been using both for years and they always sound good.So I realized it was the pickups..Because I have (VERY) limited funds I'm going to get the Stew Mac Golden Age PAF's..In another life (Pre-recession) I would've bit the bullet on the Lollars because I think they kick #ss, but this time around economy is king..Harmony Central says the Golden Age pickups are excellent..So I'm convinced..Or my wallet convinced me..LOL

I don't see anything wrong with changing out the pickups in your guitar.

Musicians do that all the time.  It's yours so do what you want with it.

Just giving him food for thought. That's all. All of my guitars have the pickups swapped. ... but then... I don't really own any vintage guitars that were ever in factory configuration while I owned them.

I suppose it's possible that in another era  people will be peering into their 140's and checking the solder joints and pickups to see if it's completely original. But  wouldn't you rather enjoy your guitar now ;)

I put prails in my 'vintage' 140 and put the schallers on the shelf. I'm happy

I suppose what made that cross my mind was that I recently played the first heritage off the line. I remember thinking, if I ever had possession of a guitar of that value and considered doing anything to it... just shoot me. That is also an 85 H140.

Honestly never heard these pickups. Very interested in hearing the difference though.

HRW's are the proprietary pickups designed by Heritage's own H.Rendal Wall (HRW).  These are most likely re-done Schallers, but are wonderful sounding, hot p'ups.  I have them in my 150 Ultra, 157 triple, and 575.

Here's the skinny direct from the Heritage site:

http://www.heritageguitar.com/Custom%20Fea.../HRW-pickup.htm

I have heard they were reworked Schallers... I believe from Ren himself.

Thing is... I am torn. For smooth Jazz and palm muted high gain, I really like humbuckers. For high gain where I let chords (triads or larger) ring out more often than not, I prefer P90s as they seem to have a bit more articulation to them with regards to the individual notes of the chords and, in high gain, you need all the help you can get with articulation.

P90's seem to have a more articulate, thinner (not a bad thing) and gritty tone to my ears when A/B'ed with a similar model with Humbuckers. The guitar in that test was an SG.

well ,if you want all those things in one pickup then prails is your friend. Probably not the 'best' single/p90/humbucker sounds, but if you want them all at one gig instantly it works well.

Because I have (VERY) limited funds I'm going to get the Stew Mac Golden Age PAF's..In another life (Pre-recession) I would've bit the bullet on the Lollars because I think they kick #ss, but this time around economy is king..Harmony Central says the Golden Age pickups are excellent..So I'm convinced..Or my wallet convinced me..LOL

The Stew Mac Golden Age PAF's ARE Schallers !!

well ,if you want all those things in one pickup then prails is your friend. Probably not the 'best' single/p90/humbucker sounds, but if you want them all at one gig instantly it works well.
I have been hearing about those. Who makes the Prails?

I have been hearing about those. Who makes the Prails?

The P-Rails are made by Seymour Duncan, check out this YouTube demo by Duncans own Frank Falbo.

The guitar used in the video is a 170.

Purely by coincidence my own 170 is being fitted with P-Rails at the moment.

>:D

I've had a few sets in my 140 and the Classic '57's sound real good compared to most others I've used. I came upon a set of early 80's Gibson Patent #'s and that's what are in it now. They are a bit smoother than the 57's and I think they're keepers.

Archived