Heritage Owners Club

Schaller strap lock problem

Salutemysolution

I have the Schaller strap locks on my H150. The lock on the back of the guitar kept coming loose from the guitar shifting around. Essentially it was unscrewing it. I kept tightening it back up not wanting to strip it out. Well it is stripped out, however I didn't do it from torqueing it too much. I guess the movement of piece on the strap did it. So I have two questions: Has anyone had this problem? Is there a way to fix it other than having to drill a new hole in the back of the guitar?

I'm assuming, Salute, that you mean the screw, securing the strap button to the guitar's body, has worked its way out, stripping the hole for the woodscrew in the process?  This issue has been addressed in several threads here, and there will be plenty of suggestions, all good.  My solution has always been to shim the "stripped" hole with a toothpick.  No glue or anything else.  Same hole, same screw run back into the hole into which I'd slid a toothpick, cut to the length of the depth of the hole....

My solution has always been to shim the "stripped" hole with a toothpick.  No glue or anything else.  Same hole, same screw run back into the hole into which I'd slid a toothpick, cut to the length of the depth of the hole....
HA! That is exactly how I do it and the buttons have stayed in for YEARS.

I just stick the toothpick in there. Break it off. Screw goes back in... bingo. Master Luthiery. ;D

The problem is that the strap lock screws have a smaller diameter than the original screws.

But I'll vouch for the toothpick method. I've NEVER had a problem with mine!

I'm assuming, Salute, that you mean the screw, securing the strap button to the guitar's body, has worked its way out, stripping the hole for the woodscrew in the process?  This issue has been addressed in several threads here, and there will be plenty of suggestions, all good.  My solution has always been to shim the "stripped" hole with a toothpick.  No glue or anything else.  Same hole, same screw run back into the hole into which I'd slid a toothpick, cut to the length of the depth of the hole....

Yep it works like a charm. Sometimes need to use 2 toothpicks per hole, then it's rock solid.

use a bigger screw

Ah, but there is a limit. If the screw head is too big, then it won't fit into the strap lock.

I've heard some people use bigger screws, but then grind down the head so it'll fit.

Ah, but there is a limit. If the screw head is too big, then it won't fit into the strap lock.

I've heard some people use bigger screws, but then grind down the head so it'll fit.

Yep. Too much work for me. A toothpick or two... job done.

+1 for the toothpick luthiery method PLUS add a bit of soap or wax onto the screw ridges.

While wax on the threads is a very good idea when the hole is new I'm not sure I'd use

any  if I was going the toothpick route as it could get in between the toothpick and the

hole wall where there isn't much friction begin with.

Me, I'd fill the hole with epoxy and bits of wood and then redrill a new hole.  I think the

toothpick method works by jamming something between the hole wall and the screw

thereby forcing the screw to cut new threads in the opposite wall.  I believe it's these

threads (a fairly narrow band of threads) that then do all the work since both the toothpick

and the wall it's stuck to are smooth.  I wouldn't trust a toothpick myself though I

acknowledge that many people have done it with good results.  I have read of people putting

glue in the hole along with the toothpick and then screwing in the screw while the glue is wet. 

This is probably pretty good but might make removing the screw difficult.

........ add a bit of soap or wax onto the screw ridges.

Listen to the man from San Fran.........    :rolleyes:

I Have never had the problem myself, but the Dan Earlewine book suggests using some wood, toothpick etc and a bit of glue, to remedy the problem..It seems like almost any of the previous suggestions would work though..I just put straplocks on my 140 a couple of days ago, so I hope I don't have that problem..

Archived