Heritage Owners Club

Did your brand new Heritage need work?!

Jazzpunk

As noted in a previous thread, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the set up on my new 575. Like any new guitar. I figured it would need some fine tuning anyway so no big deal. Took it to a local luthier to see if I could get a better set up and he discovered a couple of interesting um, 'details' upon initial inspection.

Detail 'A' was the fact that the wooden bridge had a couple of small gaps where it was not touching the body. Seems somebody didn't get it quite right but I guess it was 'good enough'.

Detail 'B' was filler applied to one of the grooves in the nut where somebody had cut too deep. My luthier said that this is a little trick he'll do himself from time to time for clients unwilling to purchase a new nut but that he thought it was inexcusable on a brand new guitar. In fact he thought I should call Heritage or Wolfe and have them pay for a new nut.

So now he's going to reshape the bridge for a truer fit and replace the nut in addition to the basic set up I had initially brought her in for. I'm not really stoked on having to put what amounts to 'repair' dollars into my brand new guitar.

I do feel that the guys at Wolfe are decent guys but between the small finish blemishes on the headstock and the filler in the nut (don't know if that happened at Heritage or at Wolfe), I will not be purchasing another guitar from them. Most likely it will be used Heritage guitars for me from here on out. If I'm going to have to have additional work done anyway, I might as well save some money by buying used!

Hope this post doesn't offend anybody but I feel it's my responsibility to post honestly even if it means presenting the good, the bad and the ugly. Do you guys think I am over reacting a bit or are these types of finishing touches generally required after purchasing a new Heritage?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As noted in a previous thread, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the set up on my new 575. Like any new guitar. I figured it would need some fine tuning anyway so no big deal. Took it to a local luthier to see if I could get a better set up and he discovered a couple of interesting um, 'details' upon initial inspection.

Detail 'A' was the fact that the wooden bridge had a couple of small gaps where it was not touching the body. Seems somebody didn't get it quite right but I guess it was 'good enough'.

Detail 'B' was filler applied to one of the grooves in the nut where somebody had cut too deep. My luthier said that this is a little trick he'll do himself from time to time for clients unwilling to purchase a new nut but that he thought it was inexcusable on a brand new guitar. In fact he thought I should call Heritage or Wolfe and have them pay for a new nut.

He's going to reshape the bridge for a truer fit and replace the nut in addition to setting me up for heavier gauge flat wounds. I'm not really stoked on having to put what amounts to 'repair' dollars into my brand new guitar.

I do feel that the guys at Wolfe are decent guys but between the small finish blemishes on the headstock and the filler in the nut (don't know if that happened at Heritage or at Wolfe), I will not be purchasing another guitar from them. Most likely it will be used Heritage guitars for me from here on out. If I'm going to have to have additional work done, I might as well save some money by buying used!

Hope this post doesn't offend anybody but I feel it's my responsibility to post honestly even if it means presenting the good the bad and the ugly. Do you guys think I am over reacting a bit or are these types of finishing touches generally required after purchasing a new Heritage?

I was a little disappointed in the little things that were wrong with my last custom order too; the bridge pickup wasn't quite straight, or aligned with the strings, there is a sub-finish dent in the top bout, and the bridge was set a mile high to get the angle right on the strings, when it appears to me that the neck could have been set better to avoid it.

I was going to order a 550/575 type guitar, but decided not to because I'd want it to be perfect. My first custom order, done in 1999, was flawless.

Hope this post doesn't offend anybody but I feel it's my responsibility to post honestly even if it means presenting the good, the bad and the ugly.

The truth may sometimes be difficult to accept, for some, but it really shouldn't offend. It is, after all, the truth. Thank you for sharing the story. I am sorry to hear of the issues with your new guitar and hope that you can get past the flaws and enjoy the instrument. I tend to buy most things used, as I have a philosophical aversion to eating depreciation, so I have never been in the boat you're in with regard to a guitar. On the other hand, I have purchased new, high dollar items which have failed to live up to the "dream" of ownership. That feeling I can empathize with.

The truth may sometimes be difficult to accept, for some, but it really shouldn't offend. It is, after all, the truth. Thank you for sharing the story. I am sorry to hear of the issues with your new guitar and hope that you can get past the flaws and enjoy the instrument. I tend to buy most things used, as I have a philosophical aversion to eating depreciation, so I have never been in the boat you're in with regard to a guitar. On the other hand, I have purchased new, high dollar items which have failed to live up to the "dream" of ownership. That feeling I can empathize with.

Thanks DS. I asked my luthier if he thought I should just sell her and get something else and he said, 'No Way!' It was his opinion that it wouldn't take much work to get her in tip top shape (he's a really straight up guy so I trust his judgement). I'm sure it will all be cool in the end, just a little more dough than I had planned on spending.

The bridge on my '07 H-575 is not fitted too well either.

Otherwise it's generally been more precision feeling to me than other Heritage guitars I've had (5).

Interesting.

My 535 had been upgraded by it's previous owner including a refret by Michael Tuttle. She plays like a dream but she has been enhanced. Maybe my expectations were a little high?

Interesting.

My 535 had been upgraded by it's previous owner including a refret by Michael Tuttle. She plays like a dream but she has been enhanced. Maybe my expectations were a little high?

I think that we've got a right to expect top quality, correct workmanship.

Heritage guitars, when correct, are an exceptional value but they're not cheap.

When I pay in the $1,500-$2,000 range for a custom built guitar, and wait nine months (as in the case of my last custom Heritage) I want it to be right, no excuses.

Of course that's MY problem for the most part, but it's Heritage's in regard to having me order a more expensive guitar in the future.

The nut on my H150 that I bought from Wolfe was not cut right.

Not acceptable to me. I did buy online, so did not play it before I bought it.

It should not have left the factory like that, and it shouldn't have left Wolfe like that.

Heritage offered to fix or replace nut for free if I shipped it to them... not something I wanted to do so I declined.

One of the strap buttons pullout not long after I bought the guitar. Lame, but an easy fix.

Sad, but true: almost EVERY Heritage I have bought had some kind of finish flaw. My H157 went back to the factory--twice--to get everything fixed correctly. The only one I've got that's perfect is the H555 I bought used--I can't find a flaw on it anywhere!

But it's not just Heritage. My Gibby ES-137 has two extra holes for the neck pickup ring; thank goodness the ring covers them up. My new Hamer I just bought is just about perfect, though the nut could have been cut a bit better (the string spacing isn't optimal). My G&L Legacy arrived with finish cracks around the neck.

Ahhh, the joys and frustrations of GAS!

Of my more recent Heritages:

H-535 Antique Natural - dead fret at the 15th fret. I couldh't bend the B string a whole step without it completely chocking out.

H-137 - Horible buzzing off of the nut on the low E and A strings, and prety bad buzzing on the D string.

H-535 Dark Almond Burst (the one I sold you) - Nut cut horrbily high - like for slide or something - pluz random fret buzzes up and down the neck. You and I both know how that baby plays after Michael Tuttle refret it! B)

Most of the fit and finish issues I've noticed with Heritage revolve around the nut. It seems like that's an area where the company needs to spend a little more time per guitar. They shouldn't expect dealers to correct problems like that.

I can live with slight finish problems if a guitar plays and sounds great, but problems with nuts and frets are more frustrating.

OK Boys. I speak from the heart and the truth. This sometimes offends some but it is the truth.

Heritage, like many manufactures are going to give their guitars a generic set up- the action will be medium, the nut will usually be cut high, the neck will have a little relief, ect. This is done to try to please everyone, some guys like high action, some like super low. If you cut the nut too low, it will need to be filled.

My point is I own and have owned many guitars- more than my talent deserves. I have 4 guitars that are near $5K each. They are handmade (New Orleans Guitar Co., Mcinturff, and 2 Collings acoustics) - EVERYONE HAS NEEDED A PERSONAL SETUP BY MY LUTHIER FOR MY PERSONAL PLAYING STYLE, and after the Luthier is done, I work on it myself to get it exact. These set ups range from $60-100.

I just spent $160 on 2 set ups for my PRS David Grissom Trem (the frets needed a little work but mostly binding at the nut- this nut had the worst nut of any guitar I owned).

GUYS A GENERIC SET UP FROM THE FACTORY WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH, REGUARDLESS OF THE MANUFACTURE. Some will say my XXXXX brand guitar was perfect out of the box- well perfect for you, but maybe not perfect for me.

I will end by saying I have bought 7 NEW Heritage guitars (I think I probably have bought more new Heritages than most out here) and the Heritage guitars have been the easiest to tweak to get the right set up for me (Fenders are the most difficult, they always buzz).

If you are buying a new guitar (of any brand) and expecting it to be set up perfect for you out of the box, you are fooling yourself. I always factor about $75 on strings and a setup on any new guitar.

Maybe they need a PLEK machine :-)

Myth. A guitar that isn't plek'd to your specific playing requirements is useless. Once you change the action on a Plek'd guitar, the frets are crowned wrong.

As noted in a previous thread, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the set up on my new 575.

Like any new guitar. I figured it would need some fine tuning anyway so no big deal. Took it to

a local luthier to see if I could get a better set up and he discovered a couple of interesting um,

'details' upon initial inspection.

This has been my experience as well. I'm pretty picky with just about anything I buy

and usually expect to spend some time with whatever it is to bring it to the level of

perfection I prefer. For this to work the basic structure has to be sound, I just tweek

the details. While my 535 had some pretty sloppy mechanical work the wood and finish

were excellent. After a new nut, a new bridge and quite a bit of fretwork finishing things

are now very much to my liking.

I think the fact that Heritage is seen as a very high end custom shop makes every little

flaw seem unacceptable. Especially with a custom order where you feel like it'll be perfect

if you specify enough detail beforehand and have many months for the dream to solidify

before delivery. If they were sold with the knowledge that they'd need perhaps extensive

setup work, but that they would then be stellar, it would be easier to accept.

My experience is that whoever makes the body, neck, assembles them, and applies the

finish are very good workers. It's whoever comes after that to add all the mechanicals

who could use a bit of on the job training, or be given more time to get things right.

I know some members here have been quite thrilled with the state of the guitars they

received. I've also seen photos of guitars in the gallery with frets that are nothing to

write home about.

...Heritage, like many manufactures are going to give their guitars a generic set up- the action will be medium, the nut will usually be cut high, the neck will have a little relief, ect. This is done to try to please everyone, some guys like high action, some like super low. If you cut the nut too low, it will need to be filled...

I think this post makes a lot of sense.

I remember Martin guitars were always set up high because Bluegrass guys could make anything else buzz. Everybody else complained plenty.

They could probably pay a bit more attention to the bridge/top fit on archtops with those style bridges, but many here have had no complaints about that either, just a couple of us.

Perhaps Heritage dealers are supposed to set them up to the customer's satisfaction by their contract with Heritage. I don't know.

I do like the Heritages I've had, warts and all (and not too many warts at that)!

They are what they are and I'm willing to do my own work on any guitar to get it where it plays for me.

I've had older Heritages and newer ones that they PLEK'D. I think I the newer PLEK'D ones feel more precision and the action can go lower on them usually than I would use, but of course it's unsettling to hear complaints about that from others who are less than satisfied and feel they have had to resort to re-fret jobs to get a Heritage guitar playable.

Fortunately the ones I've owned always felt just like old Gibsons. I may have dressed the frets myself on one older (used) Eagle I had, but the misfit bridge is the only thing I've noticed lately, and it doesn't bother me enough to pull out the sandpaper (yet).

So now he's going to reshape the bridge for a truer fit and replace the nut in addition to the basic set up I had initially brought her in for. I'm not really stoked on having to put what amounts to 'repair' dollars into my brand new guitar.

I do feel that the guys at Wolfe are decent guys but between the small finish blemishes on the headstock and the filler in the nut (don't know if that happened at Heritage or at Wolfe), I will not be purchasing another guitar from them. Most likely it will be used Heritage guitars for me from here on out. If I'm going to have to have additional work done anyway, I might as well save some money by buying used!

Hope this post doesn't offend anybody but I feel it's my responsibility to post honestly even if it means presenting the good, the bad and the ugly. Do you guys think I am over reacting a bit or are these types of finishing touches generally required after purchasing a new Heritage?

I pulled the following off of a quotation I got from Wolfe on a custom guitar:

. Heritage Hardshell case (a $180 value )

. Our Luthier's detailed inspection, setup tweaks & adjustments as

required and delivery detail & prep

. Expert, SAFE, packaging for good condition arrival

. Special features & options. Our's are "not" ordinary Heritage's, and

Heritage's from Wolfe Guitars are considered the best of the best.

NOTE: Our Luthier inspects each guitar upon arrival. We "reject" & return

those that do not meet our standards. We often see these rejects offered for

sale at other dealers. Be assured that a Heritage from Wolfe Guitars is the

best of the best.

You should contact Wolfe so they have an opportunity to rectify the situation, either physically or monetarily.

Retailers live and die by their reputations and I'm sure they'd prefer to make you happy than leave you with an unpleasant

experience and not be considered for your next Heritage purchase.

You should contact Wolfe so they have an opportunity to rectify the situation, ....... I'm sure they'd prefer to make you happy than leave you with an unpleasant

experience and not be considered for your next Heritage purchase.

I doubt it. I suspect Wolfe thinks they are such "the shit" that they can get away with anything and we will keep buying from them. From what I have seen this is true. How many of these threads have been started here where Wolfe is the dealer? Yet you guys keep buying from them and fixing these problems yourselves.

As for Heritage and their track record with custom orders..... remember what I said about the bicycle chain.

...remember what I said about the bicycle chain.

Wait...there's a bicycle chain involved?

I KNEW those pots felt "funny," but I had no idea there might be a high maint bicycle chain involved. WTF?

I bought a Green 150 brand new that was made out of Black Limba/Korina... Had a huge 8 inch x impression under the finish on the back... Sent it back soooooo damn fast for a refund, because at that time Heritage had a guitar of mine over a year... through that fire period ( that guitar took 20 months to find its way home.)

The reputation here in Vegas is that they have had terrible fretwork in the past(this from several really good techs here locally)... hense the PLEK machine.. as for that, my opinion is these guys make some really great instruments... sometimes they let a little too much slip/slide, I have had a few high end Heritages that had a little builder boogers... nothing that made the guitars a real turd though.

Y'all need to remember that any music dealer--heck, ANY business--is created to make a profit, Wolfe's included. I figure Wolfe's is mentioned often because they are the largest Heritage dealer, so they have the largest selection to choose from. Some folks like them; others don't. Still, if anyone has any problems with their instrument, they need to call their dealer, Heritage, and/or Lane to get the situation rectified. They will do what it takes to fix the problem.

Y'all need to remember that any music dealer--heck, ANY business--is created to make a profit, Wolfe's included. I figure Wolfe's is mentioned often because they are the largest Heritage dealer, so they have the largest selection to choose from. Some folks like them; others don't. Still, if anyone has any problems with their instrument, they need to call their dealer, Heritage, and/or Lane to get the situation rectified. Theywill do what it takes to fix the problem.

+1 I have only had to call once and they made me a brand new better guitar- horrible customer service isn't?!?

Try calling Fender or Gibby- they would just tell you to return the damn thing to Guitar Center and pick another lifeless guitar off the rack.

Some very good observations here regarding new guitars and set ups. I am one of those people who takes every guitar I bring home to the luthier for a set up and just accept that as part of the process. I can even understand some cosmetic blemishes on new guitars that have been on a rack prior to purchase by anyone, however, a custom ordered guitar should be blemish free and in good playing condition.

I doubt it. I suspect Wolfe thinks they are such "the shit" that they can get away with anything and we will keep buying from them. From what I have seen this is true. How many of these threads have been started here where Wolfe is the dealer? Yet you guys keep buying from them and fixing these problems yourselves.

As for Heritage and their track record with custom orders..... remember what I said about the bicycle chain.

Yeah.. you're right. Don't give them a chance to solve the problem. Lets all just blacklist a retailer when they haven't been given the chance to rectify a problem.

Archived