Heritage Owners Club

Did your brand new Heritage need work?!

Jazzpunk

I spoiled you with that 535 I sold you. Have Michael Tuttle do the set up... Have Michael Tuttle do the set up... Have Michael Tuttle do the set up...

;)

BTW I had Michael build me the strat of my dreams. It ships out this coming Monday. Can't wait!!!

Man, you ain't lying! I actually left Michael a message about doing the initial set up but never heard back from him. When the time comes for a new fret job though you can be sure he'll be the guy that gets my business.

Congrats on the new guitar! Make sure to post some pics when she arrives.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my custom h576 is missing the 9th fret marker on the side of the neck (i left it like that cuz i though it was cool in an annoying way)

my H535 had some extra wire bouncing around inside and the neck pickup is very microphonic (didn't get around to contacting them about it before my 1 year was up)

both have finish flaws and horrible factory setup

both play awesome now that they are set up properly

my custom h576 is missing the 9th fret marker on the side of the neck (i left it like that cuz i though it was cool in an annoying way)

my H535 had some extra wire bouncing around inside and the neck pickup is very microphonic (didn't get around to contacting them about it before my 1 year was up)

both have finish flaws and horrible factory setup

both play awesome now that they are set up properly

my new Heritage needed work...

I needed to spill some beer on it, get it covered in sweat & grime, bash it into a couple mic stands, get spit on by adoring fans, have greasy lipstick kissed onto the body by undulating female fans....play the snot out of the thing, ripping my fingers up and spilling blood all over the precious instrument

then and only then, was it ready to truly ROCK!!!!!!

^_^

UPDATE:

Spoke with the luthier today:

Bridge has been properly mated to the body.

Nut has been replaced.

Fret level and dress performed.

Set up performed.

I pick her up tomorrow (finally!) and hopefully the additional $280 I've put into her will bring her up to my personal expectations. I'll post back with an updated review. ^_^

FINAL UPDATE!

Man, oh man, what a difference some additional TLC has made! Just picked her up from the luthier and she now plays like a dream.

The bridge is well mated to the top and the string heights are all even (no more awkward variations which had made arpeggios near impossible to perform! ). The new nut is cut nice and clean which is what this baby deserved all along. I'm not sure that the fret dress was an absolute necessity but it sure is nice (nothing wrong with a little additional fret bling!).

This is the guitar I had hoped for! I am a very, very happy man right now. :confused:

post-408-1244830908_thumb.jpg

Bling Bling... Replace the plactic nut on my 137 with this petrified ivory. Color had a little to do with it but... you can bitch about the setup and nuts or turn it around and show how O.C.D. you can get.

"Bling Bling... Replace the plactic nut on my 137 with this petrified ivory. "

When ordering a Heritage for myself I always specify "bone from old Gibson workers."

As far as I know, they always comply. = :>)

Jay Wolfe

post-408-1244831515_thumb.jpg

Bling Bling... Sorry I forgot the "cat and guitar shot"

There's a twisted tale in this picture description but I'll pass on the gratuitous Spectrum pun!

Nice, clean shot!

i agree Lance....that guitar has a fine line when it came to the truss rod adjustment. its kinda like a wife w/ PMS, if you tweek it too much, you might as well wait a few days and try again

This is a REAL pearl of wisdom..

'00 Millennium Ltd Ed, new from Blue Note Music (Berkeley) - setup fine, played and sounded great. Eventually the neck pickup vibrated off the pickup posts and dropped into the body. This recurred several times and finally Bill Chapin (luthier friend) fixed it. Eventually had to sell after being laid off, dearly wish i could get it back now...

'02 Millennium DC, NAMM guitar new from Jay Wolfe - setup fine, played great. After a year or so, the toggle switch need replacement. Neck p'up tone pot needed replacement (Mexican CTS replaced with U.S. CTS push-pull and tapping the coils - great single-pole sound)

'06 H-137, new from C.B. Perkins - setup fine, no issues cosmetic or otherwise. Perkinses call this the perfect electric solid-body guitar (family of luthiers since 1923 & long-time authorized Fender & Gibson & other warranty folks)

'06 H157 p-90 goldtop, new from C.B. Perkins - setup fine, played great. Stunning finish, flawless. the favorite guitar of one of my favorite guitarists, Tim Volpicella

'87 HFT-445 & '87 HB-1 bass - N/A, cuz bought really used, but i gotta say the neck pocket and fit on the bass & positioning of the output jack is <ahem> "prototypical"...

:D

'00 Millennium Ltd Ed, new from Blue Note Music (Berkeley) - setup fine, played and sounded great. Eventually the neck pickup vibrated off the pickup posts and dropped into the body. ...

B)

'03 Gerry Gessie Little One - setup fine, played and sounded as expected (bought after a chat w/Ren). No issues, other than this one got stolen from my truck (smashed windows, backpack gone, sundry others...grrrr)

B)

I'm not yet officially an owner as I am trying out a new H150 with Lollar minis over the weekend from Wolfe. I have no history with Heritage guitars and so no real agenda to feel one way or the other. This one particular guitar arrived with the action too high. I lowered the action by adjusting the wheel levelers on the bridge to a much closer action. That resolved the issue with no resulting buzzing or change to the intonation. The fit and finish could only be nit picked if I were to judge with a high resolution macro lens. Otherwise, the finish really is smooth and even and very nice. All the pieces are as they should be. Frets seem well filed and well seated. I've played it for a couple of days and so far see no particular or unique bug or flaw. Really seems well built and finely finished.

I'm not yet officially an owner as I am trying out a new H150 with Lollar minis over the weekend from Wolfe. I have no history with Heritage guitars and so no real agenda to feel one way or the other. This one particular guitar arrived with the action too high. I lowered the action by adjusting the wheel levelers on the bridge to a much closer action. That resolved the issue with no resulting buzzing or change to the intonation. The fit and finish could only be nit picked if I were to judge with a high resolution macro lens. Otherwise, the finish really is smooth and even and very nice. All the pieces are as they should be. Frets seem well filed and well seated. I've played it for a couple of days and so far see no particular or unique bug or flaw. Really seems well built and finely finished.

i saw your 150 on TGP!!! VERY COOL! Thanks for stopping buy...so you think you are gonna buy it?

The pics I posted over at TGP show it a little different in color than it is. These are a little closer:

i bought a '71 LP Deluxe new in '72, kept it for >30 yrs. betcha this'd sound & play better to me (love Lollar p90s & 'buckers, looking fwd to hearing the minis sometime)

i bought a '71 LP Deluxe new in '72, kept it for >30 yrs. betcha this'd sound & play better to me (love Lollar p90s & 'buckers, looking fwd to hearing the minis sometime)

My favorite pickups are Lollar Minis. I have them in another guitar. It is the only HB that I am 100% pleased by. I am also a died in the wool P90 guy. I just replaced the standard tele pickups in my Nash with a set of Harmonic Design P90-ish tele pickups. Great sound, for my tastes.

I bought my first "real guitar" in '71. At the age of 15 I bought an SG Special. I desperately wanted the LP Deluxe that hung on the wall next to it, but could only afford the SG. This H150 "Deluxe" is a perfect union of great pickups and super fit and finish on a slab of Honduran mahogany and maple.

My favorite pickups are Lollar Minis. I have them in another guitar. It is the only HB that I am 100% pleased by. I am also a died in the wool P90 guy. I just replaced the standard tele pickups in my Nash with a set of Harmonic Design P90-ish tele pickups. Great sound, for my tastes.

I bought my first "real guitar" in '71. At the age of 15 I bought an SG Special. I desperately wanted the LP Deluxe that hung on the wall next to it, but could only afford the SG. This H150 "Deluxe" is a perfect union of great pickups and super fit and finish on a slab of Honduran mahogany and maple.

i've got the HD's in my Chapin Hawk (displayed for info purposes on Cliff's Destroy All Guitars website, http://destroyallguitars.com/chapin/112-chapin-hawk , the one at the top). great p'ups. after i got the 137 and the 157 goldtop w/Lollars, i seriously thought of having Bill put in those. but the HDs add an airiness that probably gives the guitar an hint of an archtop-y sound (Bill Chapin does this sort of thing intentionally). so they're staying put.

btw, there's a brief profile on Scott Peterson in the current Vintage Guitar talking about his pickups and history and stuff

Archived