Heritage Owners Club

A new plaything for my Heritages

I finally took the plunge and nabbed a Marshall DSL 401 off Ebay. The guy was local, so I didn't have to worry about UPS crushing it, and the guy saved on Paypal fees. It was breaking up badly on the clean channel, sounded like bad tubes. Got it home and found a couple of fried power tubes, and the PI looked like it was needing replacing. I had a quad of EL84 left from when I retubed my Peavey Classic 30, plus a few 12AX7s lying around, so it was time to dig in.

Took everything apart to check for bad solder joints, replaced the tubes, set the bias and off we go.

Nice... Clean channel stays clean until I get way up on the gain. Drive sounds like a Marshall.

The last item on the agenda was to call Eurotubes to get a matched set of tubes. They should be here this week.

It sure beats Pepto Bismol for a little GAS relief!!!

post-790-1245816117_thumb.jpg

Took everything apart to check for bad solder joints, replaced the tubes, set the bias and off we go.

Nice... Clean channel stays clean until I get way up on the gain. Drive sounds like a Marshall.

Excellent story TR.

You Gotta Love a happy ending!

This is my first Marshall. Before this, the only experience I had was with the simulation on my PodXT. I run that through my AW1600 to a pair of Rubicon monitors, but you don't know if that is close to the right sound or not.

The clean channel is way different from my Peavey. It's got sparkle, and bottom, but the balance is quite a bit difference. I don't know if it's the speaker or the amp design. Since they both use 16 ohm speakers, I might make a jumper to tie the Blue Marvel to the DSL to see what it sounds like, and vice versa.

Then I need to figure out how to set the drive channel to get a nice crunch during the chords and hit the sustain for leads. It seems like I had way too much gain last night with my H157. I haven't even pulled the G&Ls out yet.

More fun to come.

Archived