Heritage Owners Club

H-516

H

Hi,

this is my first post so please be gentle with me :P

I don't see much in the way of discussion on the Heritage H-516. I have one of these (see attached pics) on an 'S' serial number and wonder whether someone here can drop me the specs for pickup types, scale length and any other useful info on this model.

Are these guitars rare or just an unloved variant of Heritage's product range?

Thanks,

H

post-901-1248094801_thumb.jpg

post-901-1248094819_thumb.jpg

post-901-1248094831_thumb.jpg

Hi H and Welcome to the HOC.

That's a fine example of a 516 you have there, don't see to many of them around.

According to the Heritage site the 516 is no longer being made ...http://www.heritageguitar.com/products/

The model page is still on the site though ... http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H516.htm

"H-516 Specs:

Neck - 17 degree peghead pitch; one-piece mahogany neck.

Fingerboard - 24 3/4” scale rosewood finger board 20 frets; mother pearl position markers.

Body - Single cutaway hollow body with laminated arched curly maple top and back; single white bound top and back; solid curly maple rim; black plastic pickguard; with f-holes.

body size:

rim thickness - 2 3/4”

body width - 16”

body length - 20 1/4”

Electronics - Two chrome plated humbucking pickups with two volume and two tone controls; selector switch.

Hardware - Individual nickel plated machine heads; nickel plated Heritage bail tailpiece; adjustable bridge.

Color shown - Old Style Sunburst"

Yours looks to be old style burst, the same as my own 575. A very nice finish indeed. The pickups are most likely Schallers.

H,

Welcome to the HOC. Yeah, baby!! Nice H516. And in the best color, too. :P Double screws in the pup rings indicate Schaller pickups. Golden Age? Is that what we've decided the stock Schallers are? BTW, you'll be getting a visit from our very own Mars-hall, Gallery Moderator Extraordinaire, requesting you put pics in the gallery. Otherwise, he'll just pirate your pics and do it anyway. ;)

Welcome to the club. That is a great looking guitar. Enjoy the

site. A great bunch of people that love a good guitar.

Hi,

this is my first post so please be gentle with me :D

I don't see much in the way of discussion on the Heritage H-516. I have one of these (see attached pics) on an 'S' serial number and wonder whether someone here can drop me the specs for pickup types, scale length and any other useful info on this model.

Are these guitars rare or just an unloved variant of Heritage's product range?

Thanks,

H

Heritage_20516_20002.jpg

Heritage_20516_20007.jpg

Heritage_20516_20003.jpg

Go ahead and place your pics up in the member's gallery, if you haven't already.

Welcome

Welcome, 516! Really nice box! Looks very much like my 576, but yours has a more traditional Venetian cutaway, whereas the cutaway on the 576 is more that of a 535. I like yours very much!

H516 didn't do well in the market because Heritage didn't promote this new model AND foolishly priced it the same as the much more popular "solid top & back" H575. This sorta doomed the model in the market. I still own the 1'st one made. However they sounded so good & are so well made that I used this model as the base for the Kenny Burrell Groove Master- which is a H516 with bound neck & peghead & block inlays & screened facsimile of KB's sig. on the peghead. I also have the 1'st GM in Burrell Blue & Kenny signed it for me. Prior to KB's acceptance of the model, Guitar Great Al Caiola tried many Heritage Models & selected the H516 (adding blocks & binding & a Black Lacquer finish & gold parts) for himself. Al loves this H516 & plays it so well. He's on Youtube with it, and brings it into the shop a couple times a year for adjustments.

Jay Wolfe

Thanks all for the warm welcome :D Thanks also to those who supplied useful information about the H-516 and its users.

I fell in love with the looks of it at first (especially the 'H' tailpiece as that's my nickname!) and could find virtually no info before I bought it, just a few Harmony Central reviews that, for the most part, raved about it.

I've got mine strung up with slinkies and try to play a little jazz on it from time to time but I'm not so good at that. I prefer blues-rock (especially the Black Keys) so play the LP mostly when I'm plugged in.

I'll try to get some pics into the gallery soon - there's already lots of eye-candy in there though! I would love to get my hands on some of those 535s!

• 1 month later...

Almost the same specs like H550 except the width(The 550 is 17' )

Your 516 is a great looking guitar!! thanks for the posting.

Archived