Heritage Owners Club

Holy Crap!!!

brentrocks

I just recieved a response to my H 170 want ad on the grear page.  A fella in Seattle, WA has a 1985 H 170 tobaco burst flame top, near mint!!! :o  He is sending me pic in a hour or 2.  I'm pumped!!!  i always wanted a '85 Heritage!!! ;D

I got it!!!  (well i paid for it) ;)  should have it saturday.  It is a B code 1985 H 170, all stock. The seller said there was just a tiny bit of fret wear on the 1st & 2nd fret under the G.  He also said it is in stellar condition for a 23 yr old guitar.  He has the original Heritage case too.

I have some pics from the seller.....

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/H%20170/00000029.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/H%20170/00000028.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/H%20170/00000033.jpg[/img]

Other than having to lose that switch ring...DAYUM!  So, based on your purchase, would you say the eBay one is overpriced, underpriced or just right? :)

the ebay 170 has the SD/coil tap upgrade, I'm not sure how much that extra feature cost, mine does not.  the one on ebay i think is not in as good of shape, but i think it is mainly buckle wear, after seeing more pics of it.  i would say the one on ebay is pretty fair especially because he is doing free shipping...that is $50 off the top right there.  if this one from WA would not have come up, i would have been bidding on the ebay 170.  as long as there are no major issues with it, i think it may be a good value.  the seller seems to be an honest Joe.  the only thing that bugs me it that it was gigged for at least 2 yrs?????

i feel i got an exceptional deal on mine, considering the age and condition....but then again, i passed up a goldtop 170 a few weeks ago because it had a flaw on the side of the headstock....looking back, it was probably just cosmetic, but i wasn't in a gambling mood that day...lol ???

the only thing that bugs me it that it was gigged for at least 2 yrs?????

I see that as a positive.  I think that's what these guitars were built for, to make music to be listened to.  I'm all for shiny guitars, but they're musical instruments!  That's (just) one of the things I cannot abide about the vintage insanity.  So many instruments which made music for so many years, have so much unique history, now sealed up in "climate controlled" vaults.  My niece used to work for a vintage dealer in upstate New York.  They had a "client" somewhere in New England; guy couldn't even play.  He had a sizeable outbuilding constructed on his property to house his "collection."  He would hire local player to come in and occasionally play his instruments.

Great looking piece, Brent!!  I hope (I'm betting) it howls!!  Play the finish off of it! 

I see that as a positive.  I think that's what these guitars were built for, to make music to be listened to.  I'm all for shiny guitars, but they're musical instruments!  That's (just) one of the things I cannot abide about the vintage insanity.  So many instruments which made music for so many years, have so much unique history, now sealed up in "climate controlled" vaults.  My niece used to work for a vintage dealer in upstate New York.  They had a "client" somewhere in New England; guy couldn't even play.  He had a sizeable outbuilding constructed on his property to house his "collection."  He would hire local player to come in and occasionally play his instruments.

Great looking piece, Brent!!  I hope (I'm betting) it howls!!  Play the finish off of it! 

i see your point...i guess i'm a little gun-shy....too many people have told me one thing and then i open the box and i get an entirely different guitar.  it is not a bad thing for a guitar to be played...as long as it has been played in the right places and the seller is up front.

this story does not have a happy ending......i got it today, big crack in the neck where it meets the headstock!!!!

i have talked to the seller he is contacting fedEx...it happened during shipping >:(

That's a shame! FedEx broke a headstock on a H-140 that I bought. It was an '86 and I too was really looking forward to it. Be very careful with this. FedEx is going to send someone out to pick up the guitar and send it to their claim center. In the end they will deny responsibility and tell you that it was improperly packed. It will be up to you to get your money back from the seller and FedEx will have the guitar. This situation really sucks for the buyer. As I said earlier, Proceed Carefully!

That's a shame! FedEx broke a headstock on a H-140 that I bought. It was an '86 and I too was really looking forward to it. Be very careful with this. FedEx is going to send someone out to pick up the guitar and send it to their claim center. In the end they will deny responsibility and tell you that it was improperly packed. It will be up to you to get your money back from the seller and FedEx will have the guitar. This situation really sucks for the buyer. As I said earlier, Proceed Carefully!

you are sooo right...the seller has already offered my $$$ back and is assuming all responsabiliy to deal with fed ex...so i guess i'm getting out easy...but i would much rather have the guitar!!!!!

I see you're in SWMI. I'm in NWIN. How much snow ya' get? We got about 8" but felt lucky as we were told to expect 12".

we got about 6

We have about 0" here. Of course, I'm in Florida!  :P

Yes, I've been told I'm a smart@$$ more than once!  ;)

I'm originally from NE Ohio; so I do know what you're talking about!

Well, there has been a new deveopment......

i talked to my guitar repair guy toady and took the 170 to him.  He said that the crack could be easily repaired with better than 50/50 chance of sucsess.  So, i'm in negotiations w/ the seller to get it at a discounted price so that even if it isnt sucsessful, i could still have heritage put a new neck on it and not be into it for more than its worth.

or i could just send it back for a full refund.....what do you'all think???

If the guitar in all other senses is sound and play as good as it looks, I would definitely give it a second chance by repairing the headstock - especially if you can buy the guitar with a refund.

You could try to get a little closer to the better than 50/50 chance, that is to much of a risk in my opinion. Have you considered what our friends i Kalamazoo would say?

Archived