Heritage Owners Club

Just Blew the Budget on a Heritage

FredZepp

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should have this on Thurs or Friday..... :D

Anyone have thoughts or comments on "tap tuned" Correct me if I'm wrong , isn't this an option on all the hollowbodies? Make a difference? or just voodoo type stuff?

Ren said there were two secret they would NEVER share.

-How/what/why HRWs are composed & wound

-How they tap tune an archtop!

I believe it is like a $400 upcharge (although I could be wrong. I need to check my old 2006 catalog with the prices)

Anyone have thoughts or comments on "tap tuned" Correct me if I'm wrong , isn't this an option on all the hollowbodies? Make a difference? or just voodoo type stuff?

A little mysterious, in that I don't recall anyone talking about it much on the forum. Ren had a little to say about it on the tour at PSPII. It is an option (an expensive one, I think), and it's my understanding that it's pretty labor intensive and not everyone can do it. I think it has something to do with very carefully shaving wood for tops (I'm not sure about backs) on the archtops to achieve the maximum resonance from the wood. I don't know if it has anything to do with bracing, as well. The guy you're buying from, Ren, and Jay Wolfe would be able to fill you in on the details. I can see where it might be an interesting technique, owning a big archtop. They are so unbelievably resonant, delicate, and sensitive to vibration...hence feedback issues. My super Super just jumps around in my hands, especially when playing it out, with other musicians. Acoustically, the guitar is very lively. Big archtops have characteristics of a degree just not found in other electric guitars!

is that 23 1/2 scale? looks short?

Can't answer that one, Brent. I think that it is probably a 25 1/2, but don't really know.

This thing has a large body though at 18" ( Super Eagle or gibby super 400 ) But at 4" thick is thicker than either one.

Maybe the body size makes it look shorter, :D

UPDATE: Email today explained that this won't ship out until Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know when I have the tracking number........

Two words..... ROAD TRIP!

BTW, whenever you

realize that you need to thin the herd to pay for this gem, remember who DIDN'T run the bids up on the red 140. JUST because I knew that it was you leading.

:lol:

Why the long wait? You paid a nice little chunk 'o change for that baby! :lol:

I can't really go into his personal reasons, it is part of why he is selling the guitar also. But so far, I think all is OK . It would be easy to get anxious about any delay, but it's nothing unreasonable yet, and he has stayed in touch throughout the process. Part of the delay has been due to the size of the amount through paypal. But all looks good..... just waiting on shipping.

Roadtrip?... yeah , Phoenix is nice this time of year....

I can't really go into his personal reasons, it is part of why he is selling the guitar also. But so far, I think all is OK . It would be easy to get anxious about any delay, but it's nothing unreasonable yet, and he has stayed in touch throughout the process. Part of the delay has been due to the size of the amount through paypal. But all looks good..... just waiting on shipping.

He sounded on the up and up when he posted here so I wouldn't be worried about it.

I hate the whole eBay/paypal paradigm btw! Great for buyers I guess but lousy for sellers. I just sold a $1500 amp through eBay and they put a 21 day hold on my funds. Had to ship the amp out yesterday. Now I have no amp and no money. Thanks eBay! :lol:

Wait... is that........ do I see the Virgin Mary in the curly maple? What an incredible instrument with royal provenance. If there were ever any questions as to whether any Heritage would ever be deemed "collectible", that guitar answers them.

Congratulations!

Wait... is that........ do I see the Virgin Mary in the curly maple?

Truly made me Laugh out Loud B) ..... thanks.

headstock looks like a take on the Lloyd Loar F5 mandolin headstocks from early '20s

Bizzare.... but true.

I'll post some pics when she arrives....

BTW,....I was talking to the seller about his other Heritage guitars. Of course, nothing else like this one, but he has a Super Eagle that he finished in....."glitter sparkle red" and says it's gorgeous...!! I'd like to see that one B) ( He ran the finishing dept for 10 years )

Archived