Heritage Owners Club

Sweet 16

skydog52

I've been contemplating ordering a big hollowbody.

Are there any Sweet 16 owners out there.

What is your opinion on them. I am starting to

play some jazz and looking for something with

a little more acoustic sound to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Saw a guy on YouTube playing one. It sounded DAMN good.

Checked them out. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Bonus was all

the videos from the 2008 pilgramage that popped up on the search. :(

The Sweet 16 was my very first (and still most favorite) Heritage purchase back in '98. It's 25.5 scale is snappy-good for chordial playing or legatto riffs. It is especially good at making me look good, no matter how weak my jazz chops are. :(

Since the body is only 16" at the lower bout, the acoustic sound projection is somewhat limited...compared to an 18" or 19" big bodied archtop...but still has a wonderful (sweet) tone with or without an amp. It seems a bit brighter than a standard 24.75 scale H-575.

Feedback may be an issue if amp volume is raised, but with a bit of fine tuning of the EQ settings and pointing the speaker away from the vibrating top, it is controllable.

It came to me with the stock Schaller mounted in the neck, but now it has been upgraded with a custom wound Kent Armstrong PAF and a 'stealth' 500k tone pot, partially hidden under the pickguard.

Her name is 'Sweetie' and I love this gitfiddle!!

heritagesweet161.jpg

The Sweet 16 was my very first (and still most favorite) Heritage purchase back in '98. It's 25.5 scale is snappy-good for chordial playing or legatto riffs. It is especially good at making me look good, no matter how weak my jazz chops are. :(

Since the body is only 16" at the lower bout, the acoustic sound projection is somewhat limited...compared to an 18" or 19" big bodied archtop...but still has a wonderful (sweet) tone with or without an amp. It seems a bit brighter than a standard 24.75 scale H-575.

Feedback may be an issue if amp volume is raised, but with a bit of fine tuning of the EQ settings and pointing the speaker away from the vibrating top, it is controllable.

It came to me with the stock Schaller mounted in the neck, but now it has been upgraded with a custom wound Kent Armstrong PAF and a 'stealth' 500k tone pot, partially hidden under the pickguard.

Her name is 'Sweetie' and I love this gitfiddle!!

heritagesweet161.jpg

That's a beauty. Thanks for the input.

What color is you Sweetie?

I've been thinking about upgrading to the floating HRW.

I've always liked those pickups.

Hi,

I purchased my Sweet 16 back in 2000. I wanted a slightly smaller lower bout than a standard L-5 size (17") for comfort and I was willing to accept some sacrifice is acoustic base response. It is antique natural, chrome hardware, ebony finger rest, volume and tone pots, floating HRW pickup. For me, it's perfect.

post-555-1258072842_thumb.jpg

post-555-1258072827_thumb.jpg

In 2008, after talking with both Henry Johnson and Vince Lewis, I had Ren route my sound board and put in a full sized HRW4 on a 4-point floating mount. I also had a strap button installed on the heel of my neck. This was a huge improvement in tone in my opinion.

post-555-1258072867_thumb.jpg

post-555-1258072877_thumb.jpg

I mostly play solo jazz chord melody with this instrument. I will never sell it.

:-)

Bob

P.S.

When I sent it back to Ren for the mods in 2008, he told me he played it for a few hours. He told me that it was one of the best Sweet 16's he'd played:-)

A wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks all of you for your responses.

I've made up my mind.

Sweet 16

1 3/4 bone nut width

4 point mounted HRW

Orange transluscent

Ordering tommorrow.

Archived