Heritage Owners Club

New to Heritage Guitars... What do you think of this deal?

spidgeon

hey, I'm new here but I figured some of you might be able to help me out!

just yesterday I checked out a Heritage H150 at my local guitar shop in calgary. It's black with tan binding and a tan pickguard. it has dot inlays rather than trapezoid inlays. one of the knobs doesn't stay on very well but this can be easily fixed. (I'm assuming this is an H150? I haven't seen any others with dot inlays though..)

*Also, the guy at the shop (who told me this is a very good price for a very good guitar) told me they were Seymour Duncan pickups. I've heard these are good...

I played it for a while and reeeeaaaallly enjoyed the sounds I could get from it (I play mostly alternative/indie rock). this will be my first electric guitar so I have been experimenting with a few guitars, especially the Epiphone Sheraton II which I also really enjoyed playing as I could get some folk-rock sounds in a body that was very nice to play. I've also looked at a Gibson LP Studio, though it seems one of these will end up costing me more than the H150. Basically I want to get a guitar that will allow me to be very versatile in my sound as well as lasting me a long time.

Upon looking into it a bit more, I discovered that the serial number on the Heritage dates it back to 2002, and the guitar shop is selling it for $940 (the price tag says it goes for $2200 new).

What do you guys think? Will this be a good guitar for what I'm looking to achieve? I liked playing the H150 more than the Sheraton II but I'm new to Heritage and a little skeptical because it is used and really don't know if this guitar will be right for me (but then again, it's hard to tell until you actually have it for a while!).

Let me know what you think! Any comments are appreciated.

thanks,

spencer

Hey Spencer, welcome to the HoC. Take a peek inside the control plate. See if it has a label. It will tell you what model the guitar is. My guess: 150P. Most 150C, 150CM, etc. had larger inlays ala traps or blocks. Sounds like a cool guitar with that pickguard.

if its really a 150, I would prolly buy it in a flash. If its a 140 I might try and bargain them down to 750$ or so. does it have an original case that says 'heritage' on the outside? if not, offer 100-150 less$

the differenc between 140 and 150 is visibly the thickness. 150 is simialr to Les Paul, 140 is thinner.

If you can have them oepn the back panel , it should have a sticker in the toggle switch cavity that will tell you model, etc.

140m = 'mahogany body

140cm = maple top (an added feature)

etc.

check for any repairs to the neck, and playability . If you seem to like it and its not buzzing.

it will be a good guitar .

ps those other guitars are not for you . join us. :D

pss- as tulk says about P= poplar- this is a 'less desireable' guitar - still a fine guitar, but is not a 2000$ guitar..... its important that you find this info out for a valuation

Definately check that build sticker inside the control cavity. Not all dot-inlayed H150's are H150P's, as far as I know. The H150 Special, a model not made any longer, was dot inlay, and was the entry-level for the H150 line.

Either way, offer 800ish and see where it goes?

Good luck. Get the Heritage

that looks like a 140 in the picture, but the pickups only have 1 adjustment screw per side, which suggests they are not stock Schallers, which have 2 per side.

snap a photo with a phone and post it here if you can.

But the photo suggests to me a 140 thickness, measure the depth of the guitar and compare it to specs if you cant get inside.

Which I'd like to insert a quick story here:

I have a lefty 140 like that and , my neighbor who runs a successful recording studio had another lefty guitarist in town in his studio(from S.Africa!) . He only brought one guitar with him , so they asked to rent any tht I might have. I gave him my carvin and my 140. I finally met him and they couldn't stop raving about how much they loved the 140, even though they had never heard of Heritage!

Black with a tan pick guard? Sounds interesting.

Sounds like a nice price if the condition is good too.

I'm thinking it sounds like a stock 140, if by 'tan ' you mean like in the picture.

Welcome to the HOC spigeon... Hope your havin lots of fun up there in Calgary. Use to live in LBridge.. Even did a filling in for a singer in Frank and Johnny's North back in the late 80's.

Heritage makes a great guitar, for what you are paying thats a great deal up there... my only advise is that if it is a poplar body, make sure know that you are buying a poplar body guitar(they sell for alot less)... other than that, play the shit out of it!!! Dots would lead me to believe it is a 140 (cutaway horn is pointy.. not rounded... Judging from that pic, if this is the guitar i would be thinking 150P-poplar.

Guy

the cutaway on the one I played is pointy, and yes, the pickguard looks like the one in the picture--I guess more "cream" than "tan". also I believe the guy at the shop told me it's a mahogany body and not a poplar body.

would this lean more towards a 140? what's the difference between a 140 and a 150?

H-150 specs, from http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/h150vsb_specs.html

============

H 150 Specifications :

Neck : 17 degree peghead pitch; one piece mahogany neck.

Fingerboard : 24 3/4” scale rosewood cream bound fingerboard with 22 frets; mother of pearl trapezoid inlays.

Body ; Single cutaway solid body with solid carved curly maple top and solid mahogany back; cream bound top; with cream pickguard.

Body Size :

Rim thickness - 2”

Body width - 13”

Body length - 17 1/4”

Electronics : Two chrome plated Seymour Duncan pickups; two volume and two tone controls with selector switch.

Hardware : Chrome plated hardware.

Color Shown : Vintage Sunburst

===========================================

H-140CM specs from http://web.archive.org/web/20050323080329/...dels/H140CM.htm

( 2004 archive)

===========

H-140CM Specs:

Neck - 17 degree peghead pitch; one piece mahogany neck.

Fingerboard - 24 3/4” scale rosewood; with 22 frets; with mother of pearl position markers.

Body - Single cutaway carved curly maple top and solid mahogany back, cream bound top; with cream pickguard.

body size:

rim thickness - 1 1/2”

body width - 12 1/2”

body length - 17”

Electronics - Two humbucking pickups with exposed coils, two volume and two tone controls with selector switch.

Hardware - Chrome plated hardware. With plastic pick guard.

H-140 Gold Top -(Color Shown) Same specs as H-140CM.

*Shown with pickup covers.

H-140CMV - Same as H-140CM but with VAR-I-Phase features.

Color Shown - Gold Top

=============

The main differences are the body thickness and dimensions and dot inlay for the 140, traps for the 150.

The main differences are the body thickness and dimensions and dot inlay for the 140, traps for the 150.

and pointy cutaways. i've got a thing about pointy cutaways. anyway, 140's have 'em, 150's have rounded-off cutaways. IMHO main diff is rim thickness. 140's are 1/2" shallower, so are usually lighter & more in the SG (vs. Les Paul) area for feel & sound. if it's a 140, it will go for less than a 150. if it's poplar, it will go for less than mahogany (resale)

$0.02 (CDN)

got it yesterday-- pretty sure it is in fact a 140CM. great guitar. thanks for your help

spencer

It's great that you decided to get it.... I'm sure you will enjoy your new Heritage.

The 140's are really excellent and the lighter weight is very comfortable...

got it yesterday-- pretty sure it is in fact a 140CM. great guitar. thanks for your help

spencer

Cool..Welcome to the HOC..My first (and only Heritage) is a 140 CM ..Congratulations..

Gratz . . . I fell in love with my 150 with the sound and the feeling of the fretboard . . .

Archived