Heritage Owners Club

New Heritage

coreybox

1.5 yrs.

it looks worth the wait!

Holy crap, that's cool!  The color, the wraptail!  Very nice selections.  Does it really only weigh 5#?

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Mmm, I'm not sure how much it weighs. I didn't even notice that on the tag. I'll have to weight it on my bathroom scale later to check. 

Hi coreybox congrats on the new axe.

A very nice finish indeed, it looks "vintage" straight out of the box but without any of that "relic" business.

Is the walnut finish a custom colour ? It looks very very nice indeed, every time I see one of these natural wood / translucent finishes it just amazes me.

Beddy nyze. Since when are they using a "Custom Shop" designation on their labels?

My H535 that I bought from Jay Wolfe new in 2007 has a custom shop label.

I'm guessing that it's because it has Duncan 59's and "vintage" ( non Schaller) hardware it is not a standard production guitar, i.e. it is a custom order from Jay. Presumably coreys new guitar falls into the same category.

Nice guitar.

Your bridge doesn't seem to be seated properly ?  Why aren't the posts all the way

into the recesses in the bridge ?  As in this picture :

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?u...459737041760818

Paul P

On wrap-around bridges there are two set screws on the sides. These are used to set intonation. If it was sitting flush, the intonation would be sharp. By adjusting these screws you can get proper intonation with a very 'non-adjustable' type bridge.

You can see the screws in this picture ( I just googled to find it):

50stailpiece1.jpg

seacup, it came up as 6.5# on my bathroom scale.

Beddy nyze. Since when are they using a "Custom Shop" designation on their labels?

When they are Custom Shop guitars!  ;) Both of mine have the CS label. I wrote Ren and asked if they used that label on all the guitars, "Nope" was all he said.

Ordered this 1.5-2 years ago.

Looks worth the wait. That is a stunning guitar. But I could never have waited that long. Wow!

On wrap-around bridges there are two set screws on the sides. These are used to set intonation. If it was sitting flush, the intonation would be sharp. By adjusting these screws you can get proper intonation with a very 'non-adjustable' type bridge.

You can see the screws in this picture ( I just googled to find it):

50stailpiece1.jpg

6.5 lbs???  That is LIGHT!  My Gword CS-336 weighs in at a svelt 6.5 lbs, but I would have to guess my 535s are closer to 8lbs or so.  Is it fully hollow?

Hmmmm, interesting article below that is a must read. Especially for us H-150 fans who have heavy as hell guitars. No "relief" in sight. ;)

Chambering the Les Paul: A Marriage of Weight and Tone

Dave Hunter | 10.25.2007

Not many players today like to struggle with the back-breaking weight of an overly heavy guitar, but relatively fewer realize that relieving the load can very often also have positive consequences on an instrument’s sound. Gibson first put unseen routes, or “chambers,” in some Les Paul bodies purely as a weight-reduction measure at a time when adequately light stocks of mahogany were difficult to come by. Today, however, the craftsmen at Gibson USA take a more holistic view of the construction process, with the awareness that every change to the formula will have repercussions on an instrument’s sound. The result is a synchronicity of weight and tone that benefits the customer from whichever angle you approach it.

“Back in the early 1980s, when Gibson started weight relieving the Les Paul models, there was not a specific rhyme or reason to the weight-relief holes,” says Frank Johns of Gibson USA. Lately, however, Gibson has refined the process considerably. “We wanted to focus on a more scientific approach to weight relieving our guitars, to update the design to give it more of a purpose with both tone and weight in mind.”

The chambering process applied to many Les Paul models in the Gibson USA range results in guitars that appear entirely “solid,” yet benefit from this finely tuned approach to weight reduction. In fact, a guitarist could play one of these models for years and never realize there was air within that solid tonewood. To achieve this cutting-edge form of weight relief, Gibson carves carefully mapped-out chambers in the solid mahogany backs of applicable Les Pauls using a CNC (Computer Numeric Controlled) Router before the maple top is glued on. The positioning of these routes has been determined through close examination of the resonant characteristics of the Les Paul—so as well as taking the kinks out of your back and shoulder, these lighter Gibsons also display further nuances of tone that aren’t found in a heavier, solid-mahogany-backed guitar.

Of course, Johns reminds us, “no two guitars sound or react the same,” even side-by-side examples of the same model, which is part of the beauty and appeal of a finely crafted instrument. But taking the chambered Les Pauls as a whole, Johns says some common threads emerge as a result of the process: “Acoustically the guitars are louder, and we have also noticed increased sustain and resonance. Customers are echoing the same conclusions with their new Les Pauls on various guitar forums, too.”

Check out the success of Gibson USA’s chambering techniques by picking up any of a number of new Les Pauls, including the LP Studios, Classics, and Standards. Alongside these, the Les Paul Supreme has its own, entirely different weight relief system, which has been engineered specifically to benefit that model. Les Pauls in the Custom Shop’s VOS range, on the other hand, are prepared with bodies that are not weight relieved, but which are generally light and resonant thanks to the rare and expensive wood stocks acquired for use in these guitars, which is reflected in the increased prices of these models.

This article was prepared with the input of Frank Johns, Keith Medley, and Kevin Philbin of Gibson USA.

Archived