Heritage Owners Club

What's with the Mexican pots?

MatZen

Guest HRB853370

I've heard the Mexican pot is less expensive than the California pot, not as potent either.

When I read the title that is exactly what I was thinking Big Bob.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370

What company makes a pot in the US?... Any? ( I couldn't find any..)

With the big volume companies like Gibson and Fender buying pots made offshore, what is being made here?

It appears that the company making them in Mexico went out of business ( or moved to Asia somewhere).

And.... what about the plastic parts on the Heritage, (or a Fender or Gibbon for that matter), where are they made ?

It would be like demanding that the local store only carry 100% made in the US televisions, radios, or toasters.

LOVE my Heritages and it's no bad comment on them if there aren't parts made here, that they buy good quality made else where.

The guitars are simply top notch , hand-made , American icons and their survival and success has been a story of inspriration.

Just like Harley-Davidsons, and God only knows how many imported parts make up their motorcycles. Does that make them a disappointment or less of an American legacy of a brand? I think not!

Guest HRB853370

THE THOUGHT OF MEXICAN PARTS IN HERITAGE GUITARS IS REPULSIVE. SO MUCH FOR THIER NESTALGIA! THE ONE COMPANY I THOUGHT WOULD NEVER SELL OUT, DID. I KNOW SOME GUYS HERE WILL FIND WAYS TO SUGAR COAT THE WHOLE SUBJECT BUT I KNOW THEY ARE BOTHERED BY IT TO.

IT MAKES ME SICK THAT HERITAGE ACTUALLY SUNK TO THAT SQUIRMY LEVEL JUST TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS, SHAME ON EM' AND AN ACT LIKE THAT WILL HURT THEM IN THE LONG RUN- JUST ASK GIBSON,FENDER ECT ECT........ GUYS LIKE US BOUGHT OUR HERITAGE GUITARS FOR MANY REASONS AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASONS FOR MOST OF US I BELIEVE IS BECAUSE WE THOUGHT WE WHERE GETTING AN ALL AMERICAN MADE INSTRUMENT. HECK!! WE HAVE 20% UNEMPLOYMENT HERE IN MICHIGAN WHERE THESE GUITARS ARE BUILT AND THERE GOING TO BUY THAT CHEAP MEXICAN MADE CRAP TO PUT IN THERE GUITARS.

I'M SURE SOME OF OUR MICHIGANDERS OUT OF WORK WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE BUILT THEM POTS FOR THEM FOR A REASONABLE PRICE BUT AS ALWAYS THAT URGE TO CUT CORNERS AND SCROUNGE THAT EXTRA BUCK ALWAYS WINS, JUST LIKE SO MANY OTHER COMPANIES BEFORE THEM. I WONDER HOW MANY HERITAGE GUITARS ARE SOLD DOWN IN MEXICO? VRS HERE IN THERE OWN COUNTRY. SUCH A TRAVESTY INDEED.

IMPORTED CHEAP LABORED PARTS IN A HERITAGE!!! I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE DAY!

Do you feel better now?

Is this thread really that old? One thing we can all agree on, most if not all electrical components are NOT made in the USA. To go one step further, let's think about this. We mostly using Tube Amps exclusively. When was the last time a tube was manufactured in the US? Or even England for that matter? Sad truth is Asia, Mexico, and Russia are supplying us with our electronic needs. Since most of them are produced by a machine, not by hand, does it really matter where the machine is located?????

It is my understanding that Heritage uses and has used CTS pots. CTS may be building their pots outside the US to lower costs and keep prices down. This would not in my opinion, reflect on Heritage as many manufactures are moving outside the US, CTS included. Grover also.

If that's the case then I think this really sucks!!! The boys up at Heritage want us to support their efforts and buy American (their guitars) rather than the on slought of Chinese and Korean and Japanese guitars coming in to our beloved US of A. That works both ways!! They should be buying ALL American components when assembling their guitars. If someone from Heritage is screening these posts . . . then this is intended specifically for you. If not, then I hope the administrator let's them know of my sentiments. If I want Mexican . . . I'll buy a cheap Fender Strat

And in the hands of the masses the lesser costing Fender MIM will sound no different to the Fender MIA.....thats why those in the know buy Bob Logans Teles.....more Bang For the Buck or Quid even:-)

If that's the case then I think this really sucks!!! The boys up at Heritage want us to support their efforts and buy American (their guitars) rather than the on slought of Chinese and Korean and Japanese guitars coming in to our beloved US of A. That works both ways!! They should be buying ALL American components when assembling their guitars. If someone from Heritage is screening these posts . . . then this is intended specifically for you. If not, then I hope the administrator let's them know of my sentiments. If I want Mexican . . . I'll buy a cheap Fender Strat

Patrick, you're full of sh**. What the heck do you know about pots? One might assume that CTS pots are the best as they have been stated by many. What if the best pots in the world are now made in Mexico and all of the best guitar makers in America are using CTS pots made in Mexico? Grover tuners are made outside the US and nobody complains about that.

You could always buy NOS CTS pots made in the USofA and replace them all. I guess you could do a test first to see if you could tell the difference. Blah, Blah, Blah, on and on about Mexican food, really?

I'm just kidding of course, I just couldn't resist the impulse. Nice to hear from you.

I've heard the Mexican pot is less expensive than the California pot, not as potent either.

Man.. you stole my line..Dang..

Man.. you stole my line..Dang..

They say you shouldn't smoke more than one of those Mexican pots a day. Though they may not be addictive, they can alter your judgment. I'm pretty sure that CTS has a Surgeon Generals warning on the package now.

"Just play the f***ing thing...."

Sam Moss

I said I was kidding.

"Just play the f***ing thing...."

Sam Moss

I said I was kidding.

Got me, Mark! I was having a send up, as well. Nice job on the Moss quote! Scrolled that up, read it, and my chair kind of blew back from the computer. We say that around here, all the time. Thinking of having my mother-in-law do a needle point sampler of that aphorism. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) you in August. Hope you're well....

Can't beleive all of the posts, if you want to do yourself and your geetar a favor, drop some Alessandro pots in it! You will notice a major difference, they also make a very fine amp too!

I buy Asian. I have a very nice Agile (Korea) and owned a really sweet Walden (China). No problem at all with buying non US goods...................however, if I am buying from a US maker, with a reputation for quality US made products, I don't want it to come with parts purchased outside the US specifically because they were cheaper in cost to buy there. As for the comparison of parts from Germany and Mexico. Germany has a very long history of being known for very meticulous engineering and manufacture methods. There are very few goods sourced from Germany because they are made more cheaply. Sourcing from Mexico, never known for their engineering and manufacturing precision and prowess, is almost always an economic move.

I don't see this as a preference for what country is acceptable as I do the difference of a long standing history and reputation for quality engineering and manufacture versus a place where cheap things are made cheaper than somewhere else.

I prefer my US made guitars to not source cheap parts. A good pot is not that costly anyway. Just use US quality parts. No issues at all with buying foreign...when I make the conscious decision to so or when the foreign sourced part is done so specifically for quality.

I agree with this 100%. We need to take Heritage to task on this to some degree. I know that if other American companies were doing this, we'd all be condemning them for it. When I buy American, I want American; especially when a company touts the MIA distinction.

Whoops, didn't read the whole thread. They're using CTS now, which are made in China? I love CTS pots and didn't know that. I guess that all American companies are using foreign parts. Well, that's kind of depressing.

This topic is well over two years old. Heritage had a supply of these components, but I think they have switched back to CTS. But as I stated, there are very few if any component makers in the US. Just like Egnator doesn't put a origin of where their amps were made, some companies, such as CTS may not either. To further my point, I recently had two different Electro-Harmonix pedals that were made in NYC. When I opened them, the di-cast housing they were made out of was stamped, Made In China. So that proves that even a pedal that was assembled in the US, doesn't necessarily mean it was made from all USA made parts. Just like Heritage and ANY other handcrafted instrument in the US. Look at all the really high end stuff, and look where the hardware was produced. You might not like it. But the meat of the Heritage guitar was built right here in Michigan. Does it really matter, especially when the majority of us tinker with our guitars and change most of that stuff out anyway????

Archived